Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The B.Y. Times (for kids)
Previous  1  2

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 1:13 am
Sanguine, are you there its me margaret was one of my favorite books when I was younger. Its about a 6th grader I think, that finally gets her period. Its cute, but an 8th grader might not want to read it.
BY times, my sister read those growing up (yup, in a MO household. they were such cute books). I would say that its the same as above. The content may be a bit young for her, but if thats her reading level, go for it. They are cute stories.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 2:55 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Sanguine, are you there its me margaret was one of my favorite books when I was younger. Its about a 6th grader I think, that finally gets her period. Its cute, but an 8th grader might not want to read it.
We all read Are You There G-d It's me Margaret in 6th grade. It was like reading a dirty book. I reread it when DD was in 6th grade but didn't give it to her. It has 3 themes.

1 - The girls getting their periods - When I was in 6th grade no one got their period in 6th grade - I know cause in camp there were just 2 girls who did. Now many get in 6th (DD too) which is why I took it out for her then.

2 - There's a whole religion issue cause Magaret's Father is jewish but Mother is chrstian (or the other way) and Margaret is deciding what to be

3 - There's a pre-teen boy-girl issue. (they play spin the bottle and 7 minutes in heaven).

The boy-girl part is what I thought DD was young for (or maybe I was young to be the mother of a girl reading it embarrassed ). Now she(we) could handle the boy-girl part cause now she has a healthy friendship with the boys - In 6th grade they were more like "creatures" so it was silly to read.

So I weigh the two - BY Times vs Are You there...

Right now I can't get her to read anything so it doesn't really matter Sad

spikta

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 8:16 am
How quickly does she read books? If it takes her a week or more maybe you can widen your options - visit other libraries or borrow from friends outside of the yeshuv. Maybe ask friends on facebook or work colleagues if they can lend you something appropriate? If she reads quicker than that, then you're going to run out of reading material pretty soon anyway.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:00 am
spikta wrote:
If she reads quicker than that, then you're going to run out of reading material pretty soon anyway.
I'm trying to get her to read Just one book over summer vacation. I'm trying to find a book that's not too hard and that's interesting to make her want to read more. She doesn't like reading (Hebrew too). She likes being out in the action. All my kids speak English (a little below level but basically speak and understand) but I never managed to get them to read above the minimum required in school. If they would just read, their vocabulary would improve and English class would be a snap (she's "competing" with Israelis in class)

spikta

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:22 pm
If all you want her to do is read one book, wouldn't it be worth the extra time searching for or ordering something more worthwhile? If I only had one book to get me hooked, neither BY times nor Hello g-d would do it. I read both. They're not bad, but not winners for a 14 year old.
Hello g-d is a both a bit explicit and a more than bit dated. I didn't understand what they were talking about with the belt you need to use the pads, and the choosing a religion thing just seemed weird to me. You're not actually doing anything religious so who cares what title you choose?
BY times is ok, a bit juvenile and preachy for a 14 yr. old.

What about graphic novels? Perspolis? Mause? A bit intense, but fascinating and gripping. I'm sure others have more ideas.
Heck, what about comics like Calvin and Hobbes? There aren't *all* that many words, but the vocabulary is quite extensive and at a very high level at times, the funny could keep her going, and she can read a bit each time without being bogged down by a larger story.

If you're ever in Jlem I'd be happy to lend you some better options...

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:40 pm
She just doesn't want to read. It's not fun. She's barely in the house so she doesn't have sitting reading time. She ran off to sleep at a friend now. When she was younger at least she liked the attention of reading to me but now it's not such a thrill Sad

It's so annoying cause my kids do speak English and should be ahead of the class in English. If only she'd read...

spikta

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:47 pm
Try comics then. You have nothing to lose. Most likely she won't be caught dead reading BY times... PM me if you want to borrow something.

spikta

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:49 pm
Perhaps there's a movie or a tv show she really likes and you can get her the book it's based on?

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:55 pm
try tintin or asterix. You can read some of them online, or try ordering from ebay or amazon, or ask around on local message boards if anyone has them to borrow.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:11 pm
Good idea - I'm going to ask on our local email group to borrow a book. All the anglos here own some books.

OOOhh I just thought of a book that my older daughter and her friends liked, one of my sons too. "There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom". Ever read it? I know who used to own it but she may not anymore (since her youngest child is 25). I'm going to try to get a hold of it (better than BY Times)

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:13 pm
I second Asterix, I think it's a slightly lower level than Tintin. Both may need some historical background. I found Asterix more fun.

And all the character names are high level words/ ideas

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:42 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Good idea - I'm going to ask on our local email group to borrow a book. All the anglos here own some books.

OOOhh I just thought of a book that my older daughter and her friends liked, one of my sons too. "There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom". Ever read it? I know who used to own it but she may not anymore (since her youngest child is 25). I'm going to try to get a hold of it (better than BY Times)

Yes, that's a great book.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:46 pm
She just answered me. She still has the book Thumbs Up

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:49 pm
holes by louis sacher is also a great book. What about harry potter?

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:53 pm
Everyone can stop. I'm starting with "There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom" cause I liked it and so did my older daughter (who also never liked to read) and she said her friends did too.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room