Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
How to get Moist Chicken Breast

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 12:37 pm
I use shredded BBQ chicken for lots of dishes. I bought two packs of boneless breasts and I am going to use the sauce from the smoked short rib tacos from the secret restaurant recipes cookbook. I want to freeze small containers of cooked shredded chicken.

What is the best temp to bake the chicken at so they are moist not dry and for how long?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:09 pm
You can bake/steam thin cut chicken cutlets in parchment paper pouches on metal baking sheets at 425 for about 15 minutes.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:15 pm
I don't think you will get shredded chicken (or pulled chicken) by baking them. the method explained by ra_mom will give you a moist chicken breast cooked in the sauce but it will be "intact".

Shredded (or pulled meat) is created when protein (meat) is cooked for a very long period of time and so the collagen breaks down. If you want shredded chicken breast cooked in the sauce, the best way to do that is in a crock pot at low for a long period of time. When done, the meat can be pulled apart for tacos or whatever else you want to use it for.

Not sure what result you are trying to achieve though.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:18 pm
It's true that you won't get chicken that falls apart with quick cooking, but long cooking will result in dry chicken, even if the chicken will be soft and falling apart.
I personally prefer moist chicken breasts and I work harder to shred them.

You can also poach them.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's true that you won't get chicken that falls apart with quick cooking, but long cooking will result in dry chicken, even if the chicken will be soft and falling apart.
I personally prefer moist chicken breasts and I work harder to shred them.

You're correct and I am not fond of chicken breast that is cooked in a crockpot for that reason. Breasts aren't meant to be braised. Thighs provide a better result because they are more forgiving.

I just wasn't sure what the OP was asking since your advice would provide a tastier end result IMO but it wouldn't be shredded. Very Happy

So perhaps it's semantics because I will use breasts for chicken salad and separate them against the grain for a better result than chopping but indont think of that as cooking shredded chicken. Very Happy

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:24 pm
I wanted to be able to shred with two forks. I have done it in the crock pot to use bone in breasts so I'm leaning towards low and slow 300 or 325 tightly covered.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:26 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I wanted to be able to shred with two forks. I have done it in the crock pot to use bone in breasts so I'm leaning towards low and slow 300 or 325 tightly covered.

You want pulled chicken and that would be as you thought. Cook it on low

All of the pulled chicken recipes use a crockpot. Here's an example

.http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pulled-chicken-sandwiches-4

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:33 pm
Amarante wrote:
You're correct and I am not fond of chicken breast that is cooked in a crockpot for that reason. Breasts aren't meant to be braised. Thighs provide a better result because they are more forgiving.

I just wasn't sure what the OP was asking since your advice would provide a tastier end result IMO but it wouldn't be shredded. Very Happy

So perhaps it's semantics because I will use breasts for chicken salad and separate them against the grain for a better result than chopping but indont think of that as cooking shredded chicken. Very Happy
Same here!
True that.

stem

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 3:02 pm
To get really moist chicken breasts, I recommend brining the chicken for a few hours before cooking. Make a brine with about 1/4 cup kosher salt mixed in about a gallon of water. Add sugar if you'd like (I don't). Place chicken in water and let soak for a few hours.

I BBQ the chicken on a grill, and it comes out completely moist and delicious, even when the outside is a little charred. The chicken will taste a little more salty than usual though.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 3:15 pm
I think kosher chicken is brined in the process of koshering it. I have read that kosher poultry shouldn't be brined.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey