Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Washing skirt that baby peed on?

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 5:49 pm
I'm several days postpartum with my first. Her diaper leaked at some point this afternoon while I was holding her. I know I can wash what I need to of her clothes this week, but is washing my skirt ok? It's my one Shabbos skirt that fits at the moment, and it's black so I can't really tell where the stain is to spot-clean it.

(I need dh to ask the rav about my fasting anyways, but I was planning on doing that later in the week when I see how I'm feeling and how my milk supply is- I'll ask then if necessary, unless someone can tell me there's a clear-cut answer.)

alittlebirdie

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 6:03 pm
Mazal tov!! Lots of nachas. (Sorry don't know the halacha)

luppamom

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 6:43 pm
Mazel tov!

I personally found that already by the second Shabbos, more of my clothes fit me. Maybe the same will be true with you, but definitely ask.

About Tisha B'av ask but you're less than 30 days PP (and it's a nidche), I doubt the rav will tell you to fast.

mo5

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 9:43 pm
I'm not a rav but I think you can wash out the skirt because it's been made actual dirty and might not come out if left.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 10:28 pm
If the skirt might become permanently stained, then wash it.

animeme

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 10:30 pm
I was told that if there is a smell that will make your living space gross, you wash it. Also if it won't come out if left for too long. We always wash everything from accidents and leaks. But, that doesn't necessarily mean you can wear it in the nine days once it's clean if you don't need to.

seeker

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 10:49 pm
I believe that dirt caused by children is in the same category as children's clothes and you can wash it if you need to, but I'm no expert in halacha. This is just something I heard in the past. The point being that children can't be expected to stay clean long enough for laundry bans, and by extension neither can their mothers a lot of the time.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 10:57 pm
animeme wrote:
...But, that doesn't necessarily mean you can wear it in the nine days once it's clean if you don't need to.

It's a Shabbos skirt — not a problem to wear fresh clean clothes on Shabbos.

egam

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 10:58 pm
We can speculate all we want, but you really have to ask your Rav. My friend's Shabbos robe got soiled one Pesach and a Rav did not allow her to wash it on hol hamoed. It might be different for 9 days or you Rav might have different opinion.

seeker

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 11:06 pm
9 days is totally different halacha than chol hamoed. chol hamoed is an issue of melacha, 9 days is mourning minhagim. not related at all.

egam

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 11:29 pm
seeker wrote:
9 days is totally different halacha than chol hamoed. chol hamoed is an issue of melacha, 9 days is mourning minhagim. not related at all.

Yet you can still wash your children clothes on hol hamoed, melacha or not.
My point is she needs to ask a Rav.

Miri7

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 12:51 am
My understanding may be wrong but I thought that there is t a prohibition on washing clothes. It's just prohibited to wear freshly laundered clothes. BUt clean clothes are ok on Shabbat, so I would wash it now and wear it on Shabbat.

You may also be ok to wash based on the idea that it will stain or cause a bad smell.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note