Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Need advice-- Fired my nanny...

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 11:27 pm
and now I get a phonecall for a reference for her!

Long story short she's been slacking with the house, hasn't been warm with the kids, has been giving attitude, coming late, etc so I let her go. She did not leave on the best terms. Never even asked if she can give my phone number out.

On the one hand, I'm so tempted to either call the inquiring person back or to call back and paint a really bad picture of her (although if I'm positive I may be able to find some nice things to say; afterall, she worked for me for a year). Yet I don't want to make a chillul Hashem but she should learn her lesson too. Advice plzzzz!

justforfun87

Post Sat, Jul 18 2015, 11:30 pm
Ugh, seriously. Would you not want someone telling you? Be honest! She is the darn fool who left on bad terms and then have your number.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:53 pm
There are enough tactful ways to convey your opinion of her to the caller. You can first explain you were a bit surprised to receive the call because your ex-nanny didn't leave on good terms. (That way, caller can also judge himself/herself whether you could be coming from potentially neutral or negative perspective.) You can stick to just facts--ages of children your nanny looked after, duties, hours. I'm quite certain anyone trying to inquirer and get reference would ask the right questions (eg was she punctual? how did she relate to the children?) where you can state what caused her to be terminated. But I'd say at least have something positive to say, if any to give a balanced opinion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics