Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Please take this quick survey- for my family parnassa
1  2  Next

Why would you throw your food container away?
Because you over used it  
 28%  [ 62 ]
Because you lost the matching lid  
 21%  [ 46 ]
Because you have too many  
 4%  [ 10 ]
All of the above  
 45%  [ 99 ]
Total Votes : 217

ahuvaf

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:31 pm
Hello,

I am doing some research on a product I am looking to develop. It would be of great help if everyone can take this quick survey which will literally take seconds. Kol touv and thanking all of you in advance.

abound

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:35 pm
all 3

alittlebirdie

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:37 pm
I chose the second one but the other 2 also apply to some extent

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:41 pm
All of the above, which do I choose?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:54 pm
I would recycle a container with a missing lid, perhaps use it for storage or organizing in a drawer or fasten it to a beam in my storage closet for organizing small items or for storing my garden twine. Most items can be recycled into a useful second life without adding them to a landfill.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:59 pm
What do you mean by "overused it"? Do you mean "I've had it for 40 years , it's irrevocably stained and cracked, screams "the seventies", and I'm sick and tired of looking at it" or do you mean "It's safe only to reuse 2-3 times and I've already used it 5-6 times" ?

And what do you mean by food containers? Stuff we buy new, like Rubbermaid, Sterilite, and Tupperware, or reusable food packaging, like gefilte fish jars and the plastic containers Empire sliced deli comes in?

ahuva06

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:59 pm
E. Because you have no patience washing it...

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:03 pm
I stopped using my plastic storageware since I don't like washing it. I buy rectangular containers that I use until they crack. I don't feel bad throwing them out since they're disposable. I often just use a simple plastic bag or freezer bag.
I only use higher quality storage containers for things like sugar, grains, flour, popcorn, cocoa, potato starch.
I use old mayo jars for sauces and dressings. Something that will only be in the fridge for the day I'll put in a disposable bowl with plastic on top.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:15 pm
Like MagentaYenta, I reuse containers as much as possible. I have at one time or another gotten rid of containers for each of the reasons you cite, if by "overused" you mean "broke" or, for plastic, "put on the stove two seconds after removing a hot frying pan." embarrassed
If you were to sell made-in-USA Tupperware-compatible lids for a reasonable sum I would totally order them. You can order from the company, but shipping costs make this not worthwhile. You have to pay for shipping even if you have to pick up from the Tupperware lady.

Every year just before Pesach I purge my collection. the excess gets recycled or given away. Very little gets thrown out in the trash.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 5:07 pm
I only throw away food containers if they are cracked (and therefore unusable)

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 5:22 pm
When they break.

I re use like magenta, and have a box full of lid deplete containers. But I generally buy the cheapo ones, the ones you can buy in sets of 10 for a few shekel, and reuse untill they die horrible deaths.

I have some of those color coded ones with milk/meat/parev printed on them, they have lasted me 5 years of weekly use so far and still doing well.

I may not be your target market :-)

lucky14

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 6:14 pm
I also keep using them as bowls and such once I lose a lid. I don't usually throw away until they crack.

Bsimcha

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 6:40 pm
I use them until they crack or if something is too smelly, dirty or oily etc.
I really like the ones that are color coded so I can put hot dairy or meat and not have to keep track etc.
Every so often, I purge anything that's not getting used enough or taking up too much space.

I buy whatever is affordable or on sale.

pause

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 6:45 pm
I use plastic containers a lot for storage in the freezer. Plastic food containers don't wash it so well. After awhile, they no longer feel clean. I usually end up dumping them all erev Pesach and restocking right after.

I also have a problem with the standard plastic containers that I have a hard time differentiating between milchig, pareve, and fleishig. If I used a container for chicken soup and once it's washed out, it appears no different from my pareve containers, I am afraid it will get mixed in together with them. So I'd rather just dump the one fleishige one than risk having to dump all my pareve ones (cuz one fleishig got mixed in and I have no use for so many fleishige ones to designate them all for fleishigs).

Optione

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 8:45 pm
I can't vote because my option isn't there. The first two are true for me. Hatzlacha!

FancyPansy

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:01 pm
I throw out the plastic containers once they don't feel clean any more, usually at Pesach I will buy replacements and discard the old ones.

Hope I've helped.

ahuvaf

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:08 pm
Hi thanks for all the very interesting feedback..want to know I've been seeing a lot of food containers made of sikicine. I prefer using glass but I find it very expensive.. Any thoughts ladies?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:12 pm
I use a lot of mason jars as well. But glass is heavy and typically I'll use it for smaller amounts. I tend to buy in bulk so I want a bin that is light and easy to grip and open and it has to have an opening large enough for a one cup measure.

What is sikicine?

ahuvaf

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:23 pm
Oops I meant to write silicone...

HelloG

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:56 pm
I use disposables when I wanna make my life easy. So I wouldn't wash them
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars