Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What Chumra are you keeping during the 9 days? (Joke)
1  2  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 8:39 pm
What Chumra are you keeping during the 9 days? (Joke)

I removed the seats from my car so I can drive while sitting on the floor. Cool

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 8:59 pm
My uncle has always wanted to place ads in the Brooklyn papers saying that it's a shanda that people sit on regular toilets on 9 Av when they should be sitting lower. He hasn't yet because he's afraid people will actually take him seriously

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:48 pm
I really don't understand why this is funny!

Come on people, it is the 9 days. We are supposed to be mourning! B"H Yiddishkeit makes plenty of time for Simcha, but there is also a time for feeling Tzaar and that is now! We don't have to mourn to the point of depression, but yes we can and should be trying to feel the pain over the lack of a home for the Shechina! Come on! Stop making fun of something that isn't funny!

Is this the way that we are going to bring Moshiach????

mfb

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:50 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
I really don't understand why this is funny!

Come on people, it is the 9 days. We are supposed to be mourning! B"H Yiddishkeit makes plenty of time for Simcha, but there is also a time for feeling Tzaar and that is now! We don't have to mourn to the point of depression, but yes we can and should be trying to feel the pain over the lack of a home for the Shechina! Come on! Stop making fun of something that isn't funny!

Is this the way that we are going to bring Moshiach????

Well said! Thanks

chani8

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 1:14 am
Well, we could shame the imamothers on this thread for being humorous during the 9 days. Being judgemental and punishing should really put us in the apropo mood.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 1:18 am
chani8 wrote:
Well, we could shame the imamothers on this thread for being humorous during the 9 days. Being judgemental and punishing should really put us in the apropo mood.

Are you for real???

I am not judging people for being humorous during the 9 days. I am judging people about making a joke at the expense of the seriousness of the nine days. You want to laugh, go ahead. But don't laugh at or mock those who keep their minhagim of mourning during the nine days. There are other ways of directing humor.

Double standard much?

chani8

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 1:22 am
out-of-towner wrote:
Are you for real???

I am not judging people for being humorous during the 9 days. I am judging people about making a joke at the expense of the seriousness of the nine days. You want to laugh, go ahead. But don't laugh at or mock those who keep their minhagim of mourning during the nine days. There are other ways of directing humor.

Double standard much?

I know I'm for real. Ask the imamothers.

If you don't want to joke, then don't join the thread. Just don't open it. But don't sit there mussaring everyone. Nobody made you Rav Imamother. I thought I was anyway. Unless I've been overthrown.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 1:36 am
And again I ask, are you for real?

This is indeed a forum, where everyone is entitled to an opinion. Am I not entitled to come on and say that I feel like minhagim that I hold dear are being mocked?

Or is it only those who mock anyone who is Frummer than them who is entitled to an opinion?

(And yes, I say this as I dry off from my shower, as I work in a professional environment and I need to shower.)

Go ahead, joke away! But let me say that these jokes hurt me and all that I stand for.

Is joking about the Churban going to bring Moshiach?

salt

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 2:01 am
I'm trying Ahavat Chinam. That includes not making fun of other people's chumras, and also not making fun of other people's jokes!

yummydd

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 2:06 am
Out of Towner. I'm totally with you!!! It's sad how nowadays it's become a actual joke. Crying

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 2:07 am
out-of-towner wrote:

This is indeed a forum, where everyone is entitled to an opinion. Am I not entitled to come on and say that I feel like minhagim that I hold dear are being mocked?

Or is it only those who mock anyone who is Frummer than them who is entitled to an opinion?

(And yes, I say this as I dry off from my shower, as I work in a professional environment and I need to shower.)

Go ahead, joke away! But let me say that these jokes hurt me and all that I stand for.

Joking about our tzaros in golus is one thing that has helped us survive, so we can greet Moshiach soon.

That said, I don't think making fun of chumros is in the same category.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 2:11 am
Ick.

cookiejar

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 4:58 am
chani8 wrote:

What about what she said was shaming? Judging? Punishing? She merely stated that she did not feel that joking about aveilus in the 9 days is appropriate. And she is right. AND I would even bet you actually have a chiyuv to give tochacha in a case like this. She did not put down anyone and I disagree with you that this was shaming.

chavs

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 10:43 am
out-of-towner wrote:

Who was mocking anyone? The op opened a joke thread and you started mussaring her. She didn't mock anyone, but you otoh did pounce and accused her off mocking and not taking it seriously. If you don't like joke threads, skip them. It's that simple!

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 10:56 am
chavs wrote:
Who was mocking anyone? The op opened a joke thread and you started mussaring her. She didn't mock anyone, but you otoh did pounce and accused her off mocking and not taking it seriously. If you don't like joke threads, skip them. It's that simple!

Generally the definition of a joke is making light of something. I don't see what there is to make light of about the 9 days and the Minhagim surrounding it. Would you make such jokes at a Shiva house?

The fact that she mentions a joke about the 9 days is one thing. The fact that she makes jokes about the Chumras that people keep with regards to Avelus is a different story.

If you want to joke, joke away. Just don't expect people on a public thread not to say that it isn't funny. Just as you are entitled to post your jokes, I am entitled to post that I am truly offended by them and don't find them funny!

chavs

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 11:11 am
out-of-towner wrote:
Generally the definition of a joke is making light of something. I don't see what there is to make light of about the 9 days and the Minhagim surrounding it. Would you make such jokes at a Shiva house?

The fact that she mentions a joke about the 9 days is one thing. The fact that she makes jokes about the Chumras that people keep with regards to Avelus is a different story.

If you want to joke, joke away. Just don't expect people on a public thread not to say that it isn't funny. Just as you are entitled to post your jokes, I am entitled to post that I am truly offended by them and don't find them funny!

Who exactly was she making fun of? Where was she making fun of what others do? I think you are reading, not only a little, but a lot into something that isn't there and choosing to be offended, which is your choice, but otoh you could just skip the thread, unless you actually enjoy having a bee in your bonnet.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 11:21 am
Chani, I love you, and I have an irreverent streak a mile long, but I don't like this thread either.
And yes, I didn't have to open it. But an Imamother forum, where posters can't, politely and freely, suggest that a line is being crossed, is not an Imamother I want to be on.

ETA: and is it possible that OP had reservations which led her to go amother? OP, if so, nurture those good and right netiyos Tongue Out

MrsDash

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 11:31 am

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 11:42 am
out-of-towner wrote:

If you know someone who actually removes their seats in the car, please send them to the nearest therapist rather than being offended by the dark humor.

Having sat shiva myself, I would appreciate an appropriately told joke during mourning.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 11:57 am
saw50st8 wrote:
If you know someone who actually removes their seats in the car, please send them to the nearest therapist rather than being offended by the dark humor.

Having sat shiva myself, I would appreciate an appropriately told joke during mourning.

Having sat shiva myself too, and visited homes during their shiva - especially later in the week, when the heavy duty mourning is waning - in good, happy functional families, there is a lot of smiles and laughter in the memories.

And I think this is a Lubavitch vort on meshenichnas Av, mematin b'simcha. The words mean, when Av enters, we minimize simcha. The vort I heard is, when Av enters, we minimize, but this too, like everything should be b'smicha.

I'm not quite ready to say, different strokes for different folks though. I'm not sure if this is appropriately told. (BTW, could you give us an example?) Say I was in my old car, which was so low that getting out was really hard. Making some crack about how you could sit in this car on Tisha B'Av and be yotzei is one thing.(Still not in the best of taste.) Saying, let's take the benches out to drive on the floor strikes me as another.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics