Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
My neighbors prozac medication was delivered to my house
1  2  3  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:21 pm
After shabbos I opened a fedex package that contained my neighbors prozac. I obviously didn't realize that it was delivered to the wrong house until after I opened it. At this point I'm not sure what to do. If I hand it to my neighbor she will be very embarrassed that I know she takes prozak. If I leave it at her door then first of all she will figure out that someone knows she takes prozac and secondly, since the package was opened, it is considered tampered with and should be discarded anyway. Any ideas?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:23 pm
Honesty, it was an honest mistake.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:34 pm
If you are sure she won't be able to use it anyway, maybe you can discard it so she can report it as lost... The coward's way out in this case might be the right option so as to spare her the shame.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:36 pm
amother wrote:
If you are sure she won't be able to use it anyway, maybe you can discard it so she can report it as lost... The coward's way out in this case might be the right option so as to spare her the shame.

Except that if the OP fesses up to the very honest mistake, the medication will be able to be used. And the neighbor will have her medication on time, which is far more important than any embarrassment.

(I take meds, and they come through the mail, and often there's not a lot of time between refills and I worry I will be out of medication)

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:37 pm
Reseal the package, give it to the letter carrier and tell him/her that it was delivered to you in error. Whether to use the contents or not is your neighbor's decision, not yours. If you didn't unseal the bottle of pills--why would you have done such a thing?--the pills are absolutely usable. The condition of the inner container, not the shipping carton, is what counts. As to knowing that someone knows, there's nothing anyone can do about that now. Your neighbor can only hope that the carton was torn in transit and not by a person she knows.

In any event, it is a Federal offense to open mail that is not addressed to you. If you don't get the package to the addressee in some way, you would be compounding your crime by committing mail theft.

BTW, it would be a breach of confidentiality no matter WHAT the drug was.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:
Except that if the OP fesses up to the very honest mistake, the medication will be able to be used. And the neighbor will have her medication on time, which is far more important than any embarrassment.

(I take meds, and they come through the mail, and often there's not a lot of time between refills and I worry I will be out of medication)

True. That's why I said if she's sure it's unusable. An untampered pill bottle is perfectly usable.

busydev

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:40 pm
assuming you just opened the box it came in and not the pills- reseal it and leave it by her door. or knock and say this was delivered to me by mistake- (im assuming her name is on the box) and how would she know you opened it. if it would be obvious you opened it then reseal it and give it to the carrier that it was delivered to the wrong address.

FancyPansy

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:41 pm
Your neighbor is probably in need of the medication, if I were in her shoes I would like the medication to be brought to my house. As long as you didn't open the bottle, just don't tell anybody what you found. If she reports it lost eventually the Fedex driver will remember dropping it at your door.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:42 pm
Whoops, just noticed it was fedEx and not USPS. I don't know what the rules are vis-a-vis courier items but probably similar. Leave it in front of her door and let her worry about wondering who knows what. It's not your place to be making decisions for somebody else.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:44 pm
zaq wrote:
Whoops, just noticed it was fedEx and not USPS. I don't know what the rules are vis-a-vis courier items but probably similar. Leave it in front of her door and let her worry about wondering who knows what. It's not your place to be making decisions for somebody else.

Except unless it's sealed up without it being obvious, then it will look tampered with. I can't imagine Express Scripts, et al, sending a package that can be easily opened without looking that way.

Just tell the neighbor. Really.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:46 pm
If it were my medication, I would be frantic that it would be delivered on time, and I wouldn't care who dropped it off. Some places will only give you 30 days of prescriptions at a time, and missing a dose can be very dangerous (I speak from experience.)

PAMOM

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:49 pm
This is simple. Knock on the door, tell her it was delivered to you by accident, you opened it but then glanced down at the name before you reached it, and realized it wasn't your package. You're so sorry you cut the envelope (or whatever ) open. The end.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:53 pm
Okay, OP. Some background is important. Is a charade more appropriate in your neck of the woods? Will your honesty cause your neighbor heartache and anxiety about her children's shidduch chances?

We can't judge. In some cases it is permissable to do things we wouldn't otherwise, to spare another from humiliation. (My DH is on an SSRI, nothing shameful about it really, but it is still a big secret in some places.)

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:57 pm
I live in a place that is hard to find (ie kind of a back entrance, but my mail goes to a front communal area). My pharmacy delivers, and while some of the delivery guys know where I live, often they just leave it in the communal area. Before a 3 day Y"T, I asked for a refill of my medication, and somehow I never received it. I was frantic and called every neighbor asking if they had seen it. I didn't tell them, but had anyone found it they would have seen that it was Zoloft. I take it for anxiety. I don't publicize it but I am not ashamed of taking it. I need it and it has changed my life. If a neighbor of mine would have found it, I would have been upset if they hadn't given it back to me, as not having it made that 3 day Y"T very hard for me. (Turns out that the medication had simply not been delivered due to a communication error.)

Please, give it to her. Enclose a note explaining what happened and slip it under her door. She need not know that it was you. But please give it to her, meds for that kind of thing are not to be played with!

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:59 pm
Fyi, there is most likely a delivery notification or at the very least, she can check the delivery status herself, and she probably knows it was delivered so the longer you take to give it to her, the more awkward you're going to make this situation.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:02 pm
I would give it to my neighbor, apologize for the mistake, and make a point of acting like I had no idea what it was (I.e. "When I saw the prescription drugs inside I realized my mistake and I wanted to rush it to you right away in case this is important antibiotics or blood pressure meds or something like that.")

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:02 pm
If none of the above ideas work, stick a post-it note on it without signing your name saying this package was delivered to the wrong address by mistake, you noticed it after opening the outer package but not the inside, apologize for doing that. There will be no point in her worrying about who sent it because unless you live deep in middle of nowhere it could be anyone. And you, too, should promptly forget the whole episode.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:04 pm
just leave it by her door. Why do you need to tell her that you were the one who opened it? She might wonder who opened it when she first sees the box but after a while she will forget about it. If you tell her that it was you then she might always feel uncomfortable around you.

Next time check if the package was meant for you. Unless you just ordered something and were expecting a delivery I am wondering why you opened it in the first place.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:27 pm
Yeah, no need to tell her that you opened it. just reseal it and place it near her door quietly.

btw on the flipside, I left important medicaiton at home by mistake when I came up to the country. I had to call a neighbor to get into my house using my number lock and send it by car service to another family who was coming up to the country a day later. I had to swallow my pride bc I needed the meds! I'm sure you rneighbor would rather have the meds than worry about her pride.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:36 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Yeah, no need to tell her that you opened it. just reseal it and place it near her door quietly.

btw on the flipside, I left important medicaiton at home by mistake when I came up to the country. I had to call a neighbor to get into my house using my number lock and send it by car service to another family who was coming up to the country a day later. I had to swallow my pride bc I needed the meds! I'm sure you rneighbor would rather have the meds than worry about her pride.

I know that you and others are being well meaning, but I don't think you're understanding.

There is no "inner seal"... Once the package is opened, the RX bottle is right there, ready to be unscrewed. If I got to my door and saw an open package with an anonymous note, I'd treat the package as though it had been tampered with and not take the drugs.

Now, experience tells me that if my pills go missing and Express Scripts sees they were delivered, I have to pay out of pocket for the new meds till a claim is filed with Fed Ex/USPS.

At this point, my drugs have either not reached me or been touched, and I'm out of pocket the $$ till the matter is resolved.

Bring the neighbor the package. Tell her you opened before you realized it wasn't for you. Don't mention the Prozac and hope that she trusts you enough to feel you didn't tamper with her medication.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics