Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ac for kids

sourstix

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:34 pm
living in lakewood the weather today was terrible and still is. would you be ok to keep a 14 month old in a room without ac and the window open? she just had a bath so her hair is wet and that can keep her cool for some time till. do u think I can let her sleep there till I go to sleep around 11:00 and I would take her to my room? how about during the day. my central ac is not fixed yet will be in a couple of days. so in meantime she really could sleep with me. but during the day she cant sleep with me cuase she is a light sleeper and would never fall asleep in my room too much noise and light.

busydev

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:37 pm
maybe if you have a fan or two it might be more manageable.

IMHopinion

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:39 pm
Why don't you buy a cheap fan and let it circulate air from a few feet away from the baby?

sourstix

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:45 pm
yes I know. dh claims that fans do nothing. cant change his mind on that. tried already. in a couple of days the ac will be running. just in meantime I needed to know it was ok,

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:52 pm
The humidity is very bad, especially for those with any type of breathing difficulty.

When I was growing up there was a unit in my parents' bedroom and one in the den. When the weather was unbearable, we all slept on the floor in the den.

I also had a couple of units when my kids were younger, and I think they often slept on the floor in my room in the summer.

If you feel like you can't breathe, neither can your baby. The fan does zilch for humidity.
Although, if your basement feels cool & less humid, maybe you can sleep down there with her? (But if a/c is off I guess basement is also humid. We used to have a dehumidifier when we didn't have central a/c)

I wonder if there is a gmach for a/cs like there is for heaters?

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:19 pm
Fan is better than nothing if there is no a/c. When it's really boiling and humid outside, you need to keep the windows CLOSED - they will make the home worse not better. At least/especially during the day. If you have cool hours, open them during the cool hours and close them when it starts to heat up outside. And close the curtains/shades wherever the sun is hitting.

mommyla

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:47 pm
Today was a brutal day in Lakewood, weather-wise. I would NOT leave the window open. Definitely put in a fan or two, at least it will get the air moving. And I think that there are gemachs for AC units, maybe call Chaveirim. They have a heater gemach, don't know if they do ACs or not but they'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:39 pm
Definitely close the window. Open window is making it worse. Close the shades too. If you can't stand the heat in the room, your baby can't either.

My kids get flushed and dehydrated extremely quickly in the heat. I would not be OK with them sleeping in a room without a/c with the temperature in the 90s outside (realfeel in the 100s!) not even for a few hours.

Terrible to have the a/c fail during a heat wave! Sad

animeme

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:53 pm
I'm a little confused. Do you have a unit in your room? Is that why you want her to sleep with you? If so, or if your room is cooler for other reasons, can you have her stay in your room and darken it (sheets over windows if necessary) and move the noise and light somewhere else?

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:58 pm
I have heard of some trick involving putting a cold wet towel/pillowcase over a fan so it cools the air as it blows through. This may be a good short-term solution for you.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 12:12 am
seeker wrote:
I have heard of some trick involving putting a cold wet towel/pillowcase over a fan so it cools the air as it blows through. This may be a good short-term solution for you.

Actually if it is humid it will just add more moisture to the room air as the H20 evaporates. I do get some relief by keeping a damp towel around my neck when it gets hot.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 12:20 am
Also, I wanted to mention this before, but I had to google first to confirm, children regulate their body temperature differently than adults do. (Guess it's not just my kids.) They get hotter 3-5 times faster than adults. So I guess that's why at the point where I'm sweating like crazy, they're already flushed and clammy.

I went out for a ten minute walk today from one air conditioned building to another and my 2.5 year old did not have the energy halfway through to continue. I carried her home.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 7:49 am
FRench apartments can go largely above 40 during the heat wave of this summer. Get a fan.

lfab

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 1:45 pm
We have no AC in the kids bedrooms. They have a fan that blows directly on them and they sleep in tanktops and shorts. The fan doesn't lower the actual tempurature in the room but it moves the air around so they don't get all sweaty. Think of it as the difference between being outside on a hot day when there is a breeze or a day when the air is stagnant. The breeze makes all the difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics