Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help me talk to my boss

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 9:18 pm
I've been working at my job for about 2 years--officially part time but in reality it's just under full time which means I'm paid hourly but have no holiday, vacation time or other benefits.
I work really hard and I'm seen as competent so I'm often called on to help other departments and get things done. My manager thinks highly of me and has been advocating for me to get a raise and promotion for a year. My boss keeps pushing it off and last told my manager that there is a salary freeze. My manager then went out of her way to use a grant (it's a non profit) as a way to increase my salary and hours.
The thing is that I'm in my third trimester of a difficult pregnancy and I find myself resentful that I work so hard for so little (I have a professional degree but a relatively low salary). I just told my manager that I need to cut back on hours and responsibilities and when she conveyed that to my boss, he asked if I was okay and said he noticed that I've seemed agitated lately which is probably true.
Tomorrow I'd like to speak to my boss directly, advocate for the work I've been doing and ask about maternity leave (he already knows I'm pg).
Should I adress the agitated comment? Can I say how hard it is for me when I know that almost everyone else is salaried besides me?
Please advise.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 10:05 pm
Bump Smile

Leahh

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 10:58 pm
Don't bring up the agitated comment unless he says it. Then you can address how difficult your workload is and you don't feel youre being compensated accordingly.
also, do NOT mention anyone else in the conversation. Don't say everyone else is salaried and I'm hourly.... that's babyish and will cheapen you in your boss's eyes.
Ask nicely and politely that being that youre putting in x amount of hours and are working on ABC and have helped Def that maybe he can consider putting you on salary.
Good luck!

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 12:05 am
If he made note of your agitation then he notices you and your accomplishments. He cares enough about your contributions to his business that I believe he will listen when you talk to him directly. You may want to say that putting you on a salary would be a great incentive for you to push yourself harder and do more for the company. Hatzlacha!

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 12:39 am
You may want to think this through a bit further. You are pregnant and at some point you will be taking leave to have your child. It may not be an opportune time to discuss getting put on permanent status. Have you considered how long you will take with your child once it is born? Is management making any effort to cross train others on your position? Will your absence be covered by FMLA? If it's not they really don't have to save your position for you.

A good rule of thumb when having a convo with a supervisor is to stick to a single subject and work towards it's resolution. It's rather distracting for a supervisor to listen to a whole litany of issues from an employee in one sitting. They may have concerns that you are not addressing issues as they come up and then having a whole pile to resolve in one sitting. Just something to think about from another perspective.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 6:55 am
Thank you everyone for answering and another navy that's a nice spin on the "agitated."
Magenta Yenta, I hear your point about one topic and I guess part of me wants to unburden myself and a boss is probably never the place to let out all of your feelings! Thanks for pointing that out.
I'm not worried about being replaced--I'm actually pretty specialized and they would have a hard time doing that (especially for what I make 😉)
. I'll stick to finding out what they can offer me on leave and mention my accomplishments and responsibilities.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:09 pm
I want to hear what happened!

And yes, point out your positive attributes. After, I would bring it up like this:

"I just wanted to discuss with you how long I plan to take off after the baby is born, and I'd like to discuss arrangements for my return." Discuss how you would be willing to come back as full time with benefits.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 12:48 pm
Op here and thanks for the responses especially imorethanamother. My boss says he has to look into it. The thing is although I like this job I have decided with my dh that I am not willing to come back on the same terms especially after just 6 weeks. I don't have to be full time (don't even really want that) but I must have benefits and a raise. How do I insinuate this without it coming across like a threat (which it is but I don't want to burn bridges)

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 6:42 pm
Bump

GoldFlowers

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 11:13 pm
"I really love working here. I enjoy making xyz contributions and it's a great working environment blah blah...

I've been thinking about the hours I've been working and its no longer feasible/practical/possible for me to continue working an almost full schedule while continuing to be paid hourly and with no benefits. The only way I would be able to return to work after the baby is born is if I'm changed to salary and receive all/some benefits. Since I enjoy working here so much, I hope something can be worked out."

Advice- only say it if you mean it. Also, consider before the discussion whether your willing to work full time (very difficult with a baby) because they very possibly might want you to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics