Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What now? (Diaper rash)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

HelloG

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 12:02 am
Thank u. I'm ready to begin the battle tomorrow iyh

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 12:03 am
AmGold wrote:
Thank u. I'm ready to begin the battle tomorrow iyh

Hatzlacha and Refuah Shelaima! Hug

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 2:40 am
I am just sharing my experience so you have a fuller picture of different things that it can be, though I don't think this is the case for your child, as the rash only appeared recently.

My daughter had a "fungal rash" from when she was 4 months old. It went away sometimes with some creams. Think everything mentioned above+ others (triple paste AF, steroids...) It always came back. It would flare up and go down randomly for over a year. I even took her to a dermatologist, and he just gave her more fungal creams.

When I brought up allergy, doctor laughed me off.

Finally, I started taking her off of certain foods. Turns out she can't eat anything acidic. I found a list of acidic foods for people with stomach problems, and took her off of everything on the list and the rash disappeared. She now gets the rash any time she eats any acidic foods. It still looks fungal, but I know how to avoid it.

Funny thing is, I was told by the allergist that it is pointless to test, as we know what to avoid. I was also told that it wouldn't be a problem once she is toilet trained. Seems not to be true.

Sorry for rambling, but I feel like sometimes it can be good to learn from others experiences.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:53 am
If it's fungal, do not use any powder which contains corn starch. The fungus thrives on it, using it as a food source. Also, before applying any ointment/cream on any rash, make sure the area is completely dry . Otherwise the rash will be aggravated.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 9:12 am
amother wrote:
I am just sharing my experience so you have a fuller picture of different things that it can be, though I don't think this is the case for your child, as the rash only appeared recently.

My daughter had a "fungal rash" from when she was 4 months old. It went away sometimes with some creams. Think everything mentioned above+ others (triple paste AF, steroids...) It always came back. It would flare up and go down randomly for over a year. I even took her to a dermatologist, and he just gave her more fungal creams.

Finally, I started taking her off of certain foods. Turns out she can't eat anything acidic. I found a list of acidic foods for people with stomach problems, and took her off of everything on the list and the rash disappeared. She now gets the rash any time she eats any acidic foods. It still looks fungal, but I know how to avoid it.

Funny thing is, I was told by the allergist that it is pointless to test, as we know what to avoid. I was also told that it wouldn't be a problem once she is toilet trained. Seems not to be true.

Sorry for rambling, but I feel like sometimes it can be good to learn from others experiences.

Can you please post the list

rosebunch

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 10:10 am
I'll share my two cents. There is a cream called vusion which is very pricey and not all insurances cover. That usally helped my kids' real obnoxious, red, bloody diaper rashes.
Also, my pharmacist once have me a recipe for a paste that you mix on your own and it amazingly works each time! After the first application, I already see a major difference.
Take a bit of athlete's foot clotrimazole anti fungal cream and mix with a little bit of hydrocortisone cream 1%. They are both over the counter creams. I typically do it in the palm of my hand, mix with my finger and apply it thinly over the area immediately.
Refuah sheleimah

mommy27

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 10:18 am
I just wanted to say that all that's in Vusion cream is miconazole and zinc oxide, mixed with the generic of vaseline. Before you spend the money, you might want to try triple paste antifungal- the same ingredients, but a lot cheaper. You can buy it at Walgreens online over the counter or have them order it for you. I found this out from my dermatologist when she was trying to prescribe Vusion for me. The pharmacy said it would take about 3-4 days for it to come in, so she said to order the other as it was the same, basically and would arrive faster. I don't know why vusion costs so much (or why my dermatologist was pushing for it first- I'm starting to understand why insurance costs so much). Miconazole is the same stuff that you get in otc v-ginal yeast treatments and you can buy it for 5-6$ at Walmart and zinc oxide is in regular diaper cream.

SimchaSays

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:17 am
Also try making your own wipes. super easy. It doesn't fix the problem but its so much gentler on babies skin and really makes a difference.

HelloG

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:23 am
amother wrote:

Happens to be she is eating more fruits now. Cuz my mother loves cutting fruits for her n we're visiting often now

HelloG

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:24 am
SimchaSays wrote:
Also try making your own wipes. super easy. It doesn't fix the problem but its so much gentler on babies skin and really makes a difference.

I stopped using wipes for now

HelloG

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
If it's fungal, do not use any powder which contains corn starch. The fungus thrives on it, using it as a food source. Also, before applying any ointment/cream on any rash, make sure the area is completely dry . Otherwise the rash will be aggravated.

Wow. I thought it was a cure. Thanks everyone.

sourstix

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:46 am
a rash that lasts so long needs a pediatrician. in fact more then 3 days and trying to stop fiber foods and dairy and using creams dont help. if its open wounds she definitely needs a doctor. its killing her/him. some of the creams the doctors presribe take about a week to see results. does she have diahrea? please avoid fruits veggie milk. anything that is high in fiber. give her brat diet. banana, rice applesauce toast. no fruit drinks. none at all. even white grape juice. its gonna aggravate it. give her rice dream enriched. applesauce as apposed to apple juice or raw apples bec the applesauce is known to be gentle on the stomach. I make apple compote. so that is fine too. as long as she has diahrea it can make her have rash. please use olive oil on tissues and wipe her that way. it wont sting and cleans very well. or put in warm water in spritz to clean well. I use wipes that have alcohol and rinse them in warm water. the alcohol stings. so when its washed theres none in it. dont let her sit in diapers for long. I used the prescribed cream and triple paste to create a barrier betweeen her skin and diaper so the wetness doesnt touch her skin. refua sheleima. hope this helps. dd had diahrea for 4 weeks and I was busy with rashes doctors food issues all the time it can frustrate and drive crazy hang in there it will get better.

HelloG

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:56 am
sourstix wrote:
a rash that lasts so long needs a pediatrician. in fact more then 3 days and trying to stop fiber foods and dairy and using creams dont help. if its open wounds she definitely needs a doctor. its killing her/him. some of the creams the doctors presribe take about a week to see results. does she have diahrea? please avoid fruits veggie milk. anything that is high in fiber. give her brat diet. banana, rice applesauce toast. no fruit drinks. none at all. even white grape juice. its gonna aggravate it. give her rice dream enriched. applesauce as apposed to apple juice or raw apples bec the applesauce is known to be gentle on the stomach. I make apple compote. so that is fine too. as long as she has diahrea it can make her have rash. please use olive oil on tissues and wipe her that way. it wont sting and cleans very well. or put in warm water in spritz to clean well. I use wipes that have alcohol and rinse them in warm water. the alcohol stings. so when its washed theres none in it. dont let her sit in diapers for long. I used the prescribed cream and triple paste to create a barrier betweeen her skin and diaper so the wetness doesnt touch her skin. refua sheleima. hope this helps. dd had diahrea for 4 weeks and I was busy with rashes doctors food issues all the time it can frustrate and drive crazy hang in there it will get better.

She has diharea n I was at doctor n in touch over the phone too. It's a full time job. So busy w it all day
I bathe her after a dirty diaper instead of wipes
Thanks .

pause

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 12:02 pm
Diarrhea plus rash sounds absolutely like a food sensitivity.

If you don't have enough things to try, you can also go with Daktarin cream.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 12:02 pm
Lotramin anti fungal cream works wonders for my kids.
Also works, smear a generous amount of Vaseline & put corn starch on it.

sped

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 2:51 pm
I found keeping ds without a diaper as much as possible worked the best. Air and sunlight cured beautifully. I am not sure how practical that is with an 18 month old, though.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:26 pm
Re the diarrhea, had that with 2 kids. Dr. suggested putting them on lactaid milk instead of regular and the problem was solved immediately.

After a few years, the lactose intolerance went away and now they're back to drinking regular milk.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:37 pm
Before you get all nervous about allergies, it may be something a lot simpler, especially if she never had it before. Is she teething? My 9 month old baby just had this and it was horrible! I tried everything, was by the doctor, did almost all solutions everyone posted already. I was going crazy. She had diarrea too (which I think comes from the teething), so I had to change her the SECOND she was dirty and we went through a half a case of diapers in 2 days!!

I was at such a loss, I just tried using tons of powder to give her some relief. I never use powder on a girl because I was told it's not healthy for them, but she was in so much pain I figured a few days of it can't cause too much harm.

And believe it or not, after one day it was SO much better and then 2 days later, with me putting on powder only with each diaper change, it cleared up completely!! I'm not sure why this worked, but just putting my experience out there. Good Luck!

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:43 pm
amother wrote:
Can you please post the list

Acidic foods
Carbonated beverages including all sodas
Citrus fruits/juices – lime, lemon, nectarine, grapefruit, orange
Alcohol – beer, liquor, and wine
Vinegar
Acidic foods
Tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, tomato juice
Onions
Apples and applesauce
Garlic
Nuts
Cucumber
Green peppers
Spicy food
Condiments and sauces
Barbecue sauce
Caesar dressing
Hot sauce
Ketchup
Mustard
Pickles
Ranch dressing
Russian dressing
Salsa
Thousand island dressing
Worcestershire sauce
Fruits
Blackberries
Blueberries
Cherries
Cranberries, cranberry juice
Grapes
Kiwi
Mango
Peaches
Pineapple
Pomegranate
Strawberries
Iced tea
Milk, full-fat
Yogurt, full-fat
V8 vegetable juice

The list can be endless. I basically took a list of foods recommended to limit when someone has gerd. I eliminated all, and hen brought some in as child requested. Any rash was noted, etc.
She does eat ketchup and craisins. She does drink milk, and eat grapes. Mustard in tiny amounts. Yogurt, yes. Rarely carbonated beverages. Apples and applesauce yes, except for green apples.
When I become lax and let her have a lot of anything on the list (+others I didn't mention) she complains terribly about pain in her private area.

Jewishmofm

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 12:10 am
Fresh air and sunlight. Followed by triple paste. You can also try the extremely pricey but awesome critic aid. Our DS is on regular meds that cause what looks like acid burns in the diaper area. We use critic aid, slathered on like frosting on a cake.
From time to time I'll try the pricier and less convenient ilex. You put it on in a thin smear, let it air dry 30 sec then frost with whatever cream you're using. Works for the worst bleeding wounds.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics