Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
46 years ago today
1  2  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:31 am
Neil Armstrong made history and became the first human to set foot on the moon. Are you old enough to remember that moment?

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:36 am
Nope. I was 4yo.

I DO remember the very first episode of Sesame Street though. I was 5.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:37 am
I remember clearly that it was Armstrong who first stepped onto the moon.

Or maybe my memory isn't what it used to be.

ETA: This post made more sense before OP edited her first post. I remember this from my history book, not IRL Wink .

Last edited by youngishbear on Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

hila

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:38 am
YES!

A friend came over to stay and we got up in the night to watch on TV (in B& W) .

Watching history happening. "One small step for man, but one giant leap for mankind"

It was very exciting. (I was 13) .

{We are still friends 46 years later - she lives here in EY too. }

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:39 am
Nope, and I actually regret that I missed it. That must have been some moment. I can't imagine what in my lifetime could possibly compare. Spacecraft landing on Pluto now is just a kind of variation on an old theme. Communication with aliens would be interesting but short of that I think it would be hard to match. Biology and medicine have been pretty interesting, but not in quite the same revolutionary way, new frontier, etc.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:58 am
youngishbear wrote:

No it's my memory embarrassed

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 10:03 am
youngishbear wrote:

I actually think Armstrong was second to step on the moon. He is just the most famous, for his words. I could be wrong though. It was 17 years before I was born.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:18 am
I'm close to FF's age but I remember it! Because we got soda and it wasn't Shabbos, and we even got soda ice cubes ;-)

Barbara

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:26 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Nope. I was 4yo.

I DO remember the very first episode of Sesame Street though. I was 5.

I wasn't much older, but I remember it.

It was after my bedtime, but our parents woke us, and we watched it on a portable b/w television in my brother's room. "That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:52 am
I remember. I don't think as a kid it meant all that much.

etky

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 12:33 pm
I was just three so I don't remember it but DH does.
FF, I also remember the first episode of Sesame Street.
I remember my parents wheeling the B&W TV in to our room (my older sister and me) and informing us that there was a new series for children that they thought we would enjoy.
I actually never took to Sesame Street. I thought the adults were annoying. I just wanted to see the puppets.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 6:08 pm
OMG yes. We had a homework assignment to watch the moon landing on TV. We had no TV. I went to a neighbor. I'm not sure how we could have had a homework assignment in summer, though.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 6:58 pm
I remember. Our parents let us stay up past bedtime to watch it. It was discussed a lot at home and in school, both before and after.

I think the first words were something about the dirt being soft and easy to kick. But my childhood memories aren't of the words, but of the silence of the image of the craft sailing through space, and the fascination of seeing the men come out of the Apollo and plant the flag.

Fave

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:32 pm
My mom is barely old enough to remember.....

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:47 pm
I am definitely not old enough to remember it but....my mother definitely does--she was very young at the time but because my grandfather worked on the lunar module (as an engineer--he designed it!) it was a big deal in my family at the time. My grandmother says how she cried tears of joy because she was so relieved--had something gone terribly wrong it would have been on her husband's conscience forever.
My grandfather, a"h never spoke about it much. I don't remember him ever talking about his career--he was always much more proud of his family and wanted to talk about us, his grandkids. I wish I had asked him more!

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:49 pm
seeker wrote:
Nope, and I actually regret that I missed it. That must have been some moment. I can't imagine what in my lifetime could possibly compare. Spacecraft landing on Pluto now is just a kind of variation on an old theme. Communication with aliens would be interesting but short of that I think it would be hard to match. Biology and medicine have been pretty interesting, but not in quite the same revolutionary way, new frontier, etc.

If anything comes of the MarsOne project, I think that would be pretty comparable.

Fave

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:50 pm
Fave wrote:
My mom is barely old enough to remember.....

Why was I hugged?

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:50 pm
My mum remembers school letting out early so they could all go home and watch it on tv

saralem

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 9:00 pm
I clearly remember this. I was in overnight camp and they woke us up and took us to the dining hall to watch it on tv. Wow. It was super exciting.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 9:27 pm
Fave wrote:
Why was I hugged?

I wasn't the hugger, but perhaps it's because your posting intimated we were all really old?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics