Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How can we feel the sadness of the destruction of the Temple

salt

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:59 am
When I read a book about the Holocaust, say a personal story, I cry. I can feel the pain.
When I go to a ceremony for Israel Yom Hazikaron for fallen soldiers, I can also feel it.
But how can we feel the pain that Am Yisrael felt at the time of the destruction of the Beit Hamikdash, during the siege on Jerusalem, etc. It is so distant from us. Almost a legend.
Reading Kinot, Eicha, Midrashim, doesn't do it for me.
Anyone have any insights?

alittlebirdie

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 6:29 am
The story about the childless couple who waited many years to have a baby. Finally got pg against all odds. Finally the day came -they went to the hospital to have the baby. Complications set in and the doctors can only save one- mother or baby. Wife said save the baby but doont forget to make sure the child knows. That his mother gave up her life. So he can live. The husband promised and a baby boy was bornn. The father made sure at every opportunity to tell the boy. About his mother. On the day of his bar mitzvah the father told the boy: today is your mother's yartziet. When you daven. Mincha at the amud pray for her neshama. Make it a serious tefila. For your mother gave her life up for you. The boys friends distracted him and the tefilla was light and letzonus. Afterwards the father asked the boy: how could you? How did you mess up like that?the boy answered: you want me to be sad and mourn for a mother I never knew. I heard about her and saw some pictures but never really knew her. We ask the same question. How do we mourn for the tzaar hashchina and the beis Hamikdash? During the time of the churban Hashem wanted to destroy the jewish nation. And our mother the beis hamikdash said destroy me instead so my child-klal yisrael cann live. Indead how can mourn? But if we think. That all. The tzaros that we have absorbed as a nation collectively and individually are a direct consequence of the chorban. We can mourn all the terrible tragedies we see and hear of every day and pray for a time when "umacha Hashem dimah me'al Kol panim" may it be very soon amen

innovative mom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 6:37 am
Thank you alittlebirdie! That was a beautiful perspective!

salt

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 7:21 am
innovative mom wrote:
Thank you alittlebirdie! That was a beautiful perspective!

I agree. Thank you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note