Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you really not do laundry in the 9 days?!
1  2  3  Next

rachelle613

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:03 pm
I've seen so many threads this week discussing the lack of doing laundry in the 9 days. How exactly do you not do any laundry? Both my kids and I have nowhere near enough clothes to last us an entire 9 days- and 2 shabboses! It's one thing not to wash linen, towels etc, but my clothes? My kids frequently have soiled clothes, and they get filthy. My baby spits up on me every day, and if I didn't wash my few skirts and shirts I'd literally smell...

Just wondering Very Happy feel free to enlighten me!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:05 pm
For little kids, and for items that would get ruined, there are leniencies.

pumpernickle

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:49 pm
ALOR. Mine said I can wash for the kids, only whats needed to get it through.
And about myself he said it is a huge problem and the nine days is about going out of one's comfort zone. For me it means taking out those old backdated skirts and wearing that. Its the least I can do when were all in mourning.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:57 pm
For myself I don't wash at all - I remember having problems when my kids were much younger.

For kids below a certain age (for us under 7) I do laundry as needed.
For my 'older' kids I asked them to be really careful this past shabbos and use as little as possible. And to try to wear their pants twice (so far that has not happened).
I do have a lot of underwear and undershirts for them just for this time of year.
I have enough for 2 shabbosim - I buy enough for 2 or 3 day yomim tovim so it does translate into outfits for 2 shabbosim for my kids.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:57 pm
my husband is sefardi, so we wash up until the week of tisha b'av, which this year means we can wash throughout the entire 9 days.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:15 pm
If I am not pregnant I am pretty sure I have enough clothes to last me for 9 (10) days. Even if it means wearing clothes I don't like much.

My kids don't have a lot of clothes. I am definitely going to have to wash my babies clothes and maybe some of my other kids stuff.

For people who don't use plastic, do you all have enough tablecloths to last for 2 shabbosim? I am hoping I do.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:20 pm
I don't wash. Unless my kids wet the bed or get sick or something.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:22 pm
I wash kids clothes until the child has a sense of self cleanliness. For some is 5, some 7or8

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:25 pm
No wash for adults. I will do a small wash of essentials for my 4.5 year old. I am no fashionista but I can go a week and a half with out doing laundry. The days after are a pain.

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:25 pm
rachelle613 wrote:
I've seen so many threads this week discussing the lack of doing laundry in the 9 days. How exactly do you not do any laundry? Both my kids and I have nowhere near enough clothes to last us an entire 9 days- and 2 shabboses! It's one thing not to wash linen, towels etc, but my clothes? My kids frequently have soiled clothes, and they get filthy. My baby spits up on me every day, and if I didn't wash my few skirts and shirts I'd literally smell...

Just wondering Very Happy feel free to enlighten me!

I wash clothes for babies and children "under the age of chinuch" which my husband reads as appx age 9. In an emergency, you AYLOR. Some rabbis will rule it's better to buy new than to wash.
I do wash my compression stocking(s) as they cost over 100.00 and I only have 2 - but I asked and the rav said that's fine, it's for health and it's not considered a "garment."

One tip I do have is that I sort the laundry every day. This way, when the 9 days are over, the laundry is already in the proper piles and it's easy to just throw a load in the wash and get the process started. It makes the whole "post-Tisha B'Av" anxiety that much less.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:26 pm
I was told ideal is to not wash adult clothing. Underwear is more lenient than regular clothes if you run of lingerie or socks.
When my daughter threw up and there is a question if the smell will come out if you wait, I washed my outfit.

abaker

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:33 pm
Yesterday I threw in a load of little kids clothes, underwear and bras, dish towels, and my dh's shabbos shirt. Didn't do anything extra..but I feel like those are essentials to get through the week. Maybe I should ask a rav for future reference

My real question is how do people not shower for nine whole days? I know people who do this in real life, but for me I feel gross and look forward to a Motzei shabbos shower, not to mention a shower after a 3 day yom tov. I feel unhygienic even then never mind nine days. If you don't shower, honestly how do you feel? How do you handle it?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:39 pm
abaker wrote:
Yesterday I threw in a load of little kids clothes, underwear and bras, dish towels, and my dh's shabbos shirt. Didn't do anything extra..but I feel like those are essentials to get through the week. Maybe I should ask a rav for future reference

My real question is how do people not shower for nine whole days? I know people who do this in real life, but for me I feel gross and look forward to a Motzei shabbos shower, not to mention a shower after a 3 day yom tov. I feel unhygienic even then never mind nine days. If you don't shower, honestly how do you feel? How do you handle it?
many people shower using cold/cool water and / or washing one body part at a time and / or not going fully under the shower head.
I shower each day.

happymummy1

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:43 pm
I feel like I'm on vacation without all the laundry, folding clothes and ironing! not the point I know but still

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:44 pm
I shower just to not be sweaty or dirty while the rest of the year I shower for relaxation. I use just enough warm water to not freeze but its not hot. I use the removable head and just do one part at a time. You feel the difference thats for sure. Also we hold that you can shower normally l'kvod shabbos so that means two hot showers this year on top of the cold ones.

acccdac

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:47 pm
abaker wrote:

you shower.

The temperature of my shower is colder than usual, and my shower is a 2-3 minute shower instead of a 5-10 min one (I could take 2 showers a day, its my sanity, medicine, happiness, etc.).

If I didnt "get dirty" I would skip the shower. However, after my workout, you bet I'm taking a shower! (thats a good motivator to work out)

of course AYLOR

abaker

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:59 pm
Yes we take cooler than normal and shorter showers but I'm wondering about those who dont shower during the nine days, except Erev shabbos?

I babysat for a family when I was single, and the dh wore the same suit the whole time no showers! The wife was not happy with this lol and she was just a few days postpartum and she was definitely showering, I remember schmoozing about the topic of the nine days with her. I know some people hold by this, it's just not done thing in personally do. No judgement just trying to understand.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:08 pm
some of my kids have explosive diarrhea (and fevers) right now (I know, perfect timing, right?!) I had my husband ask my LOR but honestly, I started doing laundry before I even got his answer... I still don't have his answer - is it horrible to say I don't really care what it is? my whole house smells like (&*%^# !!!

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
some of my kids have explosive diarrhea (and fevers) right now (I know, perfect timing, right?!) I had my husband ask my LOR but honestly, I started doing laundry before I even got his answer... I still don't have his answer - is it horrible to say I don't really care what it is? my whole house smells like (&*%^# !!!

It is pretty common knowledge that you are allowed to wash for children. In my opinion, there is no question, but that's just my opinion.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:13 pm
nicole81 wrote:
my husband is sefardi, so we wash up until the week of tisha b'av, which this year means we can wash throughout the entire 9 days.

My Sefardi friend told me the opposite - since this year Tisha B'av is really on Shabbos, Sefardim cannot do laundry this entire week, just like Ashkenazim. All she gained is an extra day as she was able to do laundry last Friday.

Double check with your Sefardi LOR.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry