Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you really not do laundry in the 9 days?!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

myself

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:16 pm
amother wrote:
some of my kids have explosive diarrhea (and fevers) right now (I know, perfect timing, right?!) I had my husband ask my LOR but honestly, I started doing laundry before I even got his answer... I still don't have his answer - is it horrible to say I don't really care what it is? my whole house smells like (&*%^# !!!

I had a similar situation here and did a load on Sunday morning. Not much of a load though, just the soiled items. You do what you have to do but keep it to the bare minimum as much as possible.

WastingTime

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:19 pm
My dh knew a yerushalmi in meah shearim who didnt change undergarments for 9 days...evidently it is a diff of opinion if you can change "bigdei zeya" Puke Puke

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:21 pm
Two of my kids are high needs with sensory issues. It doesn't matter how many things they own, they wear the same few items. So I already washed them. They're older kids too (no heter like with little ones). My dh also exercises daily and after a few days his smelly stuff had no where left to go...

I put all those in one wash - made sure nothing extra was in there

sped

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:25 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My Sefardi friend told me the opposite - since this year Tisha B'av is really on Shabbos, Sefardim cannot do laundry this entire week, just like Ashkenazim. All she gained is an extra day as she was able to do laundry last Friday.

Double check with your Sefardi LOR.

AFAIK, it is a machlokes; some holds this and some hold that.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:28 pm
Must be a machlokes. My neighbor who is sefardi is doing laundry all week. it is especially helpful to those sending kids off to camp this week.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:30 pm
sky wrote:
Must be a machlokes. My neighbor who is sefardi is doing laundry all week. it is especially helpful to those sending kids off to camp this week.

Yeah, since our DD's - best friends - are once again going to camp for second trip....last year I was positively drooling....this year she's in the same boat as me.

Guess there's differences!

UQT

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:31 pm
Absolutely don't do laundry, but since I have a once a week laundry system it's only stretching it a day or two.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:48 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My Sefardi friend told me the opposite - since this year Tisha B'av is really on Shabbos, Sefardim cannot do laundry this entire week, just like Ashkenazim. All she gained is an extra day as she was able to do laundry last Friday.

Double check with your Sefardi LOR.

Thanks for the recommendation, but frankly I find it a bit insulting that you would assume my husband and I act on misconception, rather than out of sound rabbinical guidance in the first place.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 6:08 pm
Chayala, my friend's husband is a highly respected sefardic rav and he said the same as Nicole.
When Tisha B'av falls on Shabbos, there is no issue with laundry at all for them.

sourstix

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 6:30 pm
my rav told me its better to wash then to buy. I might have to wash something for myself. I am very sensitive with the clothes I wear. I will try but my baby makes me filthy. I dont have a choice. I would manage if not for her.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:58 pm
I do laundry as needed. None of us have even close to enough clothes to go that long without doing laundry, especially in the summer.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 9:05 pm
happymummy1 wrote:
I feel like I'm on vacation without all the laundry, folding clothes and ironing! not the point I know but still

And in a similar vein, my kids are thrilled with milchigs and my DS is happy that he gets to skip his shower.

challenging

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 9:37 pm
Do u give ur kids there regular bath routine in the 9 days?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 10:22 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation, but frankly I find it a bit insulting that you would assume my husband and I act on misconception, rather than out of sound rabbinical guidance in the first place.

Totally sorry. Meant no insult at all. She told me this so assuredly just the other night when I said lucky you you can do laundry......that I misunderstood. She made it sound like all Sefardim are in this.......Meant no insult, please accept my sincere apology.

Imamother has had many learning moments for me....this has been one of them.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 10:22 pm
under 7 like regular.
Over 7 (mine are 7 and 9) I told them to keep the water cooler then they are used to and a bit faster. They really need the shower as they are truly physically dirty, not just smelly, you can see it. They anyways take really fast showers so are grateful it can be even faster.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 10:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Chayala, my friend's husband is a highly respected sefardic rav and he said the same as Nicole.
When Tisha B'av falls on Shabbos, there is no issue with laundry at all for them.

Lucky them! You should see my laundry hampers!

Though my friend always says it's the only area she gets a break (except this year, as she seems to go by no laundry)...she says in all other areas Sefardi psak tends to be more stringent than Ashkenazi.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 10:29 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Totally sorry. Meant no insult at all. She told me this so assuredly just the other night when I said lucky you you can do laundry......that I misunderstood. She made it sound like all Sefardim are in this.......Meant no insult, please accept my sincere apology.

Imamother has had many learning moments for me....this has been one of them.

Hug

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 10:35 pm
I can't stand my sheets. I forgot to wash my other set which is in storage. Crying

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 10:40 pm
challenging wrote:
Do u give ur kids there regular bath routine in the 9 days?

Yes. They are stinky and sweaty after running around all day. There is no aveilus for under bar mitzvah.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:32 pm
I don't wash at all. My kids have enough clothes for a week, I always only wash once a week. For the past few months any time a kids would slightly tear/ruin a shirt or pants, instead of throwing it out I would put it away for the 9 days. After tisha bav I throw them out.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry