Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Non air conditioned school buses in NY - spinoff

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 7:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
On a related note, it is unbelievable that school buses without air conditioning are legal. The bus driver told me yesterday that the temperature aboard the bus reached 112 degrees. (he told me this when I came to pick up dd from camp, BH she didn't have to take the school bus home)

Who can I contact about possibly having the law changed in new york?

Is anyone willing to join me in flooding our representatives' inboxes with pleas for change?

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 7:50 pm
I'm really surprised that the buses used in summer don't have AC. Our local bus company that contracts with our district has had AC buses for years and we don't have a 12 month school year. IIRC at the time they did this it wasn't common for buses to have factory AC so the fleet was retro fitted. New buses when acquired did have factory AC.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:08 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I'm really surprised that the buses used in summer don't have AC. Our local bus company that contracts with our district has had AC buses for years and we don't have a 12 month school year. IIRC at the time they did this it wasn't common for buses to have factory AC so the fleet was retro fitted. New buses when acquired did have factory AC.
It truly is unbelievable. And inexcusable.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:09 pm
http://www.petition2congress.c.....erati

Google and contact your local representative. I got a no standing sign put up that way to stop cars standing double parked near a stop sign that was causing zero visibility for cars passing the intersection. I really wanted a two way stop sign but they measured for it and the intersection didn't qualify.

Or email simcha felder and David greenfield, don't they work on this sort of thing?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:10 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
http://www.petition2congress.com/2204/request-congress-to-extend-osha-protections-to-school-bus-operati

Google and contact your local representative. I got a no standing sign put up that way to stop cars standing double parked near a stop sign that was causing zero visibility for cars passing the intersection. I really wanted a two way stop sign but they measured for it and the intersection didn't qualify.

Or email simcha felder and David greenfield, don't they work on this sort of thing?
Thank you so much!

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 9:07 pm
What about the useless seat belts? Or did things change since I last rode a school bus?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 9:21 pm
Do I have to buy a letter or can I just email the letter (as outlined in petition)?

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 10:58 pm
tigerwife wrote:
What about the useless seat belts? Or did things change since I last rode a school bus?

Well ny law is that school buses are required to have seat belts but not required to use them. Lol that makes total sense right? Rolling Eyes

As for mass petitions to govt sites - I included that just to show that people are aware of this issue. But I don't think mass petitions actually work. The best way to make this kind of change happen is to get involved with the local government - do some online searching and possibly some phone calls or inquiring emails until you find out the exact person who could make this change happen in your district - an assemblyman, superintendent, whatever. It involves going down the rabbit hole of ny.gov websites, reading the profiles of local branches and heads of government, until finally you end up with the exact representative you need who can actually do something about this, and then email his secretary a nice, polite letter stating your concerns. Not as easy as signing your name to a petition, but in the end IME a lot more effective.

It's like when you learn first aid you learn that you shouldn't just shout randomly "call 911" because even if there's a crowd around you everyone thinks someone else is doing it. Instead you say "you, in the blue shirt, call 911."

ETA: no need to flood their inboxes either. That's just annoying. This is their job, they take the input of the local residents seriously.

I called some tree people down once because I was hoping some rare beetle had killed our trees and the govt would remove the dead trees for us. Well they told me it was regular old termites eating our trees. When I apologized that they had to make the long drive from queens to Brooklyn for nothing, they assured me over and over that it is no problem at all. This is their job, it's what they do, and if I ever suspect that rare beetle again I shouldn't hesitate to call them again. Be polite and you'll get results.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 8:00 am
Yes, busses have no seatbelts and no a/c. Yes, unfortunately 112 degrees seems right for bus, subway.... yes, it is so. Money is short even for governments, and certainly private. But what do I know, I'm an old school euro who has no idea some continents do different.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:37 pm
Ladies, please help me create change in New York!

I just sent an email to council member David Greenfield of the 44th district in NYC.

I implore you to please take to a moment to shoot a quick email to dgreenfield@council.nyc.gov and demand that non air conditioned school buses for our children be outlawed!

The time is right now, when everyone is hot and feeling the affects of the heat.

We need change. I know we have the power to get this done!

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 12:04 am
Ra mom did you end up contacting anyone last year?

Your best bet for getting this solved asap is to talk to the person in charge of transportation at the daycamp, and insist that they provide bus service with ac. These buses exist, many daycamps do provide them.

David greenfield sounds like the right person to contact to get a law passed requiring ac on buses.

If you don't get a reply within the next couple of days, follow up with a phone call to the office inquiring if they got the email.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics