Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Shabbos guest with food sensitivities

LittleRed

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 7:11 pm
Hi everyone,
I'm having guests over for lunch on shabbos and one just told me her husband is gluten free, corn free and soy free. I'm not so familiar with allergy work-arounds, anyone have some good recipe ideas for shabbos day? The wife told me not to worry about challah and cholent, as long as I have a couple things he can eat.
Thanks for all the help!

imasinger

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 7:33 pm
Meat or chicken (no soy sauce or bread/cracker crumbs)
Maybe a soup (pea, or bean, or lentil, or mushroom)
Roasted squash, asparagus, zucchini and onions, or green beans
Green salad
Sorbet, mousse, meringues, or chocolate all make easy desserts.

animeme

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 7:38 pm
When you make the meat or chicken, don't use a premade sauce with a lot of ingredients. It's hard to find one without any of those three. Stick with spices, vinegars, etc.

supermom5

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:06 pm
cholent is actually the easiest thing to make for him to eat. Just leave out the barley. Trust me it's delicious, and even if you don't like it as much as your regular cholent, it will make such a difference to him!

My husband is gluten free and we make our cholent like this always and I have guests very often!! When we eat out, he says he's fine, but it does put a damper on his shabbos meal when he can't have the cholent.

Just make sure to put in good fatty meat for a good consistency.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:11 pm
Short grain brown rice is a excellent barley substitute.

supermom5

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:13 pm
what you can make:

honey mustard salmon
eggs, liver with a good salad (just no corn, croutons, or soy sauce in the dressing)
cholent (if making with ketchup make sure its corn syrup free) without barley
cold cuts, grilled cutlets(in oil and spice marinade)
cole slaw
Dessert is hard because most sweet sorbets have corn syrup in them. But fresh watermelon and other cut fruits are always delicious!

Good Luck!

As a wife of someone with celiac, I can tell you that the most sensitive thing you can do is make ALL your food (or at least most!) edible for him. This way, he won't have to keep asking if he can eat the food you serve, and maybe he can forget his restrictions for a little bit! Very Happy

gibberish

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 8:25 pm
supermom5 wrote:
cholent is actually the easiest thing to make for him to eat. Just leave out the barley. Trust me it's delicious, and even if you don't like it as much as your regular cholent, it will make such a difference to him!

My husband is gluten free and we make our cholent like this always and I have guests very often!! When we eat out, he says he's fine, but it does put a damper on his shabbos meal when he can't have the cholent.

Just make sure to put in good fatty meat for a good consistency.

Alternatively, you can substitute brown rice for the barley

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 9:27 pm
If you do decide to make your cholent without barley, don't put in kishka. Kishka is usually made with flour, and it will glutenate (my husband's made up word) your cholent. We had a few experiences with well meaning people adding kishka to otherwise gluten free cholent.

hinenimuchan

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 10:05 pm
Cholent should not be a problem as long as you stick to fresh ingredients (barley can easily be replaced with brown rice or whole kasha). Meat, onions, garlic, potatoes, tomato paste, paprika, salt, pepper, water and a splash of honey and/or red wine. NO Ketchup.

Instead of cholent, I sometimes make chocolate beef roast. My recipe calls for top cut brisket. I have used deckel and top of rib too -- just make sure its a lean, high quality cut. If your guest can have chocolate produced in a factory that uses soy provided there is no soy ingredient, you could use Schmerling 72% Cocoa bar (Otherwise maybe ask the wife if there is a brand that's OK). Basically you smear about 1/4 inch of melted fine bittersweet chocolate mixed with a bit of extra light olive oil to give it a spreadable consistency and add a little water just so it doesn't burn, salt and black pepper, close tightly and cook as you would a cholent-roast. When I am pressed for time, I just throw broken pieces of chocolate in and drizzle oil over everything, rather than melting and smearing it. It does not taste like chocolate...it more highlights the beefy taste with a certain familiarity that people can't usually place until they're told what it is.

You should be able to find gluten-free frozen gefilte fish (I doubt it would have soy or corn, but check ingredients)

gazpacho (a cold tomato/cucumber/green bell pepper/lime-shpritzed soup)

fruit soup or compote

Herbed chicken with rice, casserole style

Roasted or broiled chicken that has first been marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic -- plus either a teaspoon of tarragon OR individual middle eastern spices (I am not sure if mixed spices have corn starch or corn meal in them, so I would stay away to keep it easier).

Chicken seasoned with orange juice, honey, onions and pepper

Chicken seasoned with chopped fresh tomatoes and a couple of dashes of ground ginger (or a finely sliced one inch piece of ginger in the basting liquid).

Broiled chicken that has been brushed heavily with sweet and sour duck sauce (But be careful SOME brands have corn syrup or starch. Unger's Oriental Style that I have at home looks fine).

Roasted potatoes (or sweet potato slices/chunks) with olive oil and spices.

Sweet potato or butternut squash kugel (no flour, no margarine, no vegetable oil or corn oil. Can. Replace margarine with oil (about a third to a half of the amount of margarine) and extra egg.

Shredded carrot salad (NO mayo) (basically in lemon juice, water and pineapple juice, sugar or honey, with currants or raisins if you like).

And here's a great one: Finely chopped cauliflower, steamed tender but not mushy, can be seasoned as you would season cous cous/pasta. It's really delicious, healthy and low carb too! I originally saw a suggestion to use it with Moroccan spices, but I have also made it with Italian style tomato vegetable sauce. Probably easiest to serve at room temperature on Shabbat. Could also be assembled and baked into a casserole-y type solid so you could re-warm it.

Fresh melon, mango, blueberries and/or peaches
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus