Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Vegen life style

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 4:07 am
I recently began a vegen life style. As I am really new at this I am interested in hearing how you can adjust this to a Jewish lifestyle. Particularly Shabbos and yom tov. We have alot of guests and I rally don't feel like making double dishes. Any ideas for recipes? Or tips for this life style?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 4:58 am
Start researching vegan blogs. Pinterest has a ton of great recipes under the keyword "vegan". I'm not vegan, but I use a lot of the recipes if I want something parve, or if I'm avoiding a certain allergen.

Most importantly, watch your weight. If it falls too low too fast, or if you start feeling really light headed, veganism might not agree with your body.

I tried it for a year and a half, and at 5'7", I dropped down to 104 pounds, and couldn't gain an ounce, no matter how many healthy fats and carbs I ate. I was dizzy all the time, and couldn't concentrate. Once I started eating eggs and dairy again, I felt much better.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 5:01 am
make one meat dish eg chicken and then all the soups, dips, salads and sides can be vegan. Vegan desserts are tricky, so you might find it easier to make two types, or just eat fruit.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 5:25 am
I agree with Raisin about meal-planning. I would add that there are some good vegan desserts that aren't too difficult- sorbets or ices are nice in the summer. Pies and shortbread cookies can easily be made vegan as well.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 5:44 am
true, there are some good vegan dessert recipes, but not a ton. Apple crumble is vegan, mousse made with silken tofu. You can try egg free cakes and bars.

You could make big batches and freeze.

bluebird

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 1:27 pm
Check out Mayim Bialik's writings. She's (almost completely) vegan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W01EaJPWTd0

http://www.amazon.com/Mayims-V.....17042 (I hear it's good for new vegans)

btdivorcedmom

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 4:38 pm
Check out www.ohsheglows.com

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 4:53 pm
I'm not vegan, but for some delicious vegan desserts that anyone would enjoy go to www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com.

penikay

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 3:51 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Most importantly, watch your weight. If it falls too low too fast, or if you start feeling really light headed, veganism might not agree with your body

I am doing this in order to loose weight...I would like to loose about 60LB...do you think if I ate non vegan on shabbos but of course moderate I would still loose weight? Can I ask how much you lost in a week on average?

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 4:38 pm
You have the right idea. If you are vegan except on Shabbos, you will be fine, I should think, and get what you want out of this. Shabbos is only one-seventh of your life. Enjoy your guests and don't give yourself problems. You obviously have sense and will eat intelligently on Shabbos.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 11:51 pm
Yes, keep an eye on your weight. If it starts to go up, change to paleo which is the opposite. People react differently to different things. People lose weight on paleo too. You will see what suits you.

bluebird

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 12:24 am
penikay wrote:
I am doing this in order to loose weight...I would like to loose about 60LB...do you think if I ate non vegan on shabbos but of course moderate I would still loose weight? Can I ask how much you lost in a week on average?

Vegan diet is not a weight loss diet, it's a different style of eating. If weight loss is your goal then you're better off eeating your normal food, reducing portion size, and making gradual nutrition improvements. Remember, weight loss is not about dieting, it is about eating in a way that will bring you down to and maintain a weight. How you eat when you lose weight is pretty much how you will eat to remain at that weight. If you don't intend to be vegan for life, forget it and focus on how you WILL eat for the rest of your life.

Signed, chubby vegan

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 12:39 am
Being vegan inevitably means eating beans, rice, bread, potatoes, avocados, nuts, pasta, rather more than somebody else does, doesn't it? Isn't that carbs? I don't know about veganism at all.

bluebird

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 12:45 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Being vegan inevitably means eating beans, rice, bread, potatoes, avocados, nuts, pasta, rather more than somebody else does, doesn't it? Isn't that carbs? I don't know about veganism at all.

You should look up the calorie counts for all the food you listed. Especially rice and avocado. And nuts.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 12:46 am
penikay wrote:

Dolly is right. Everyone's body reacts differently, so just keep an eye on the scale. Don't sweat Shabbos, just keep things to moderation.

I have the metabolism of a slug on valium. Sleep The only thing that worked for me to lose weight (just under 60 pounds) was the very strict HCG diet (search the forum for detailed threads.) 500 calories a day, very lean protein, green leafy veggies, with select types of fruit for dessert. I lost an average 6 pounds a week.

I managed to maintain my weight loss for over 5 years, down to the ounce. I've recently gained back 10 pounds, but that's because of some medication I'm on. I'm eating normally, and still holding steady. I'm going to try Paleo to lose that extra 10 lbs.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 12:50 am
bluebird wrote:
Vegan diet is not a weight loss diet, it's a different style of eating. If weight loss is your goal then you're better off eeating your normal food, reducing portion size, and making gradual nutrition improvements. Remember, weight loss is not about dieting, it is about eating in a way that will bring you down to and maintain a weight. How you eat when you lose weight is pretty much how you will eat to remain at that weight. If you don't intend to be vegan for life, forget it and focus on how you WILL eat for the rest of your life.

Signed, chubby vegan

Years ago when I became a vegetarian I gained 20lbs!! I totally agree with your post. A vegan diet is certainly a long term benefit if someone is at risk for cardio vascular disease. But modifying an omnivores diet and increasing exercise is another way to lose weight without the extreme change of being a vegan.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 1:51 am
A friend of mine recently reproached me for eating chicken. I asked her if she thought it would be better for the chicken to die of old age, disease, or a predator. She didn't want it to die at all, I had the impression.

As an old lady I am going to die my sweet self some time, so I don't think death is illegal. She never did explain what she wanted the chicken to die of. (I am fine, but sometimes I think about it.)

No, I don't think it's better to never have lived, just because you are going to die. And that goes for the chicken, too.

Obviously, I am in favor of proper and reasonable animal care practices, but a chicken is a chicken. It's going to have a chicken's life, which consists of being a chicken.

I told her that giving me health and strength by being eaten by me, once slaughtered kosherly, wasn't necessarily worse for the chicken than dying of old age or disease. I still don't know what she wanted for the chicken, but going to college, doing a meaningful job, making a difference in the world, and having a lot of interesting experiences are not in the life of a chicken. I am not sure the chicken missed anything, or didn't fulfill its life potential, by being eaten by me.

I will be eaten by worms too, one of these days, and am used to the idea. My friend is 31, pretty, single, childless, has a good job and no shortage of pettings, and doesn't think the party ever ends, or that parties should ever end.

I sulked a little because I felt she was more worried about the chicken than about me. She thinks I'm ok, personally, but I didn't hear any worry about me dying. I think she figures I can take care of myself, and the chicken can't, so she's rooting for the underdog.

I think she should care more about me than the chicken. She's never met the chicken. Maybe it is easier to love the absent, they never fail you.

That's why teenagers of a certain kind have celebrity posters on their bedroom walls. They will never meet the celebrity.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 6:31 am
I am counting calories at the moment. I often find vegan meals are the most calorie friendly and end up eating those. I'd rather eat a large bowl of lentil curry then a tiny sliver of steak.

If you are trying to lose weight I can see how it can work. Eating lots of red meat is not healthy either.

I would recommend using a calorie tracker like myfitnesspal to keep you aware of what you are eating.

I wouldn't mind eating a mostly vegan diet but I would find it hard to cut out eggs.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 6:34 am
Dolly, I am not sure how most chickens are kept nowadays qualifies as "living".

Unless you are careful to only buy free range chickens who you know live happy lives I wouldn't make that argument.

smss

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 9:38 am
Dolly, you are awesome.

OP, I recommend you look this over before you make your decision: http://chriskresser.com/why-yo.....iets/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking