Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Kids waking up insanely early

livinginflatbus

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 11:48 am
Hi! My three year old and one and half used to wake up seven ish and nowadays their waking up between five thirty and six!! Im exhausted!! They dnt even fall asleep so early. Are my kods the only ones who wake up thatt early and what should I do about it

chatz

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 12:03 pm
My son's wake up time varies between 5 am - 7 am. Best advice is going to sleep earlier (for yourself) and just enjoy the time together. Second option is coffee and Exploding anger. I usually do the second one.

On a side note, sometimes you think they're awake, but if you leave them a bit, they'll fall back asleep. Doesn't help if they wake up their siblings in the interim.

You can also see if something is waking them up - alarm clock, sunlight in the room, noise from outside - and see if you can do something about it (dark blinds over windows, white noise machine).

You can try putting them to bed earlier, even if that's counter intuitive. There's the thought that the more sleep they have, the better rested they are and the better sleepers they become. At least you'll have more time to yourself in the evening.

iamamother

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 12:10 pm
I will be following this thread! not only do my kids wake up insanely early, they very often wake each other up and somehow manage to stay quiet enough to not wake me up and boy do they make a mess and cause trouble! problem is, they r still tired!! they r so kvetchy and hard to deal with!

alwaybhappy

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 12:29 pm
story of my life!! (with kids)
prepare a snack for them and an activity that they enjoy so they won't get into other trouble, not a guarantee (every so often my ds will find something else he can get in to trouble with...), but there's a chance it can help.
-you should go to sleep earlier
-try putting them to sleep later, or earlier to reset their schedules. but one night won't do it. you need to stick with it for at least a week.

I wish you loads of luck!

iamamother

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 12:41 pm
alwaybhappy wrote:
story of my life!! (with kids)
prepare a snack for them and an activity that they enjoy so they won't get into other trouble, not a guarantee (every so often my ds will find something else he can get in to trouble with...), but there's a chance it can help.
-you should go to sleep earlier
-try putting them to sleep later, or earlier to reset their schedules. but one night won't do it. you need to stick with it for at least a week.

I wish you loads of luck!

tried the snack thing- it just encouraged them to keep waking up earlier- so I stopped that after a while... they have toys prepared- nothin doin....and I most have reset their schedules a few time already... sigh....

lfab

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 12:51 pm
This is the same time my kids get up. It doesn't bother me too much since I'm up at 6 anyway to get ready for work. Some possibilities:

Is this a recent thing? If so it could be the sunlight in the morning waking them up. Try blackout shades to keep the room darker.

Did you recently potty train the older one? Since I potty trained my now 3 year old (back in November) she's been waking up between 5:30-6:00 to use the bathroom and then she's just up. She used to sleep until 7ish. We tried the whole cutting back on fluids before bedtime and waking her to use the bathroom before we went to bed but it didn't work. Since she continued to wake up but was still tired becasue she wasn't getting enough sleep we made her bedtime earlier.

Are they napping during the day? If the 3 year old still naps he/she may not need as many nighttime hours of sleep. When he/she wakes up he/she may wake up the younger child.

Sometimes there's no ryme or reason to be found and the only thing you can do is try to go to bed earlier yourself. I aim to be in bed by 10:30 every night. This way I can get 7-7 1/2 hours of sleep (not really enough, I know, but at least I can function).

livinginflatbus

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 12:53 pm
Thanks for the replies!! Yes actually hes just trained

lfab

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 12:58 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
Thanks for the replies!! Yes actually hes just trained

If you think that's the reason you can try the suggestions I mentioned- cutting back on fluids before bed and trying to wake him to go before you go to bed. I know for us it didn't work and my DD was too sleepy and refused to go when we put her on. But I have heard from others that it worked for them so definately worth a shot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics