Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
DD wants to go for Nutrition (Brooklyn). Which college??

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 5:10 pm
DD has finally decided she wants to be a nutritionist. Can anyone tell me which college in Brooklyn is best to go to for this ? We are looking for an institution that will allow her to have a degree that is recognized and accepted by all, as well as from a place that is reputable, so that she can be employed.

Also, I understand she needs a significant mount of undergrad credits. Anyone know how many, and again, where to go?

She would like to do this ASAP in as little time as possible.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 6:26 pm
Im in Queens College for Dietetics.
The undergrad is 72 credits specific to dietetics.
Brooklyn College may have a program, I'm not sure.
All I do know is to become an RD (registered dietitian) you need to make sure that the program is accredited by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND). I know many people who have started a program and wasted a lot of time because the program was to become a nutritionists and not accredited to become a dietitian.
Feel free to post specific questions and I will do my best to offer.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 7:04 pm
I went to Brooklyn college for nutrition quite a while back. Definitely a decent program. It is a long undergraduate degree and then she would need to do an internship after that, and as far as I know there are no shortcuts. Good luck.

cnc

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 7:38 pm
Brooklyn College has a good program.I know that Touro on Ave J was thinking of starting a program a couple of years ago, don't know if anything ever materialized. There were a few people doing their B.S. there with the intent to transfer to Brooklyn College for their Nutrition /Dietician program.

cnc

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 7:41 pm
Also, when I was in school there were a few people going for Nutrition that ended up going for something else because in order to become anan RD, you need to do fieldwork/ an internship and they're very hard to find . This was about three to five years ago...I don't know if that is still the case.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 8:15 pm
cnc wrote:
Also, when I was in school there were a few people going for Nutrition that ended up going for something else because in order to become anan RD, you need to do fieldwork/ an internship and they're very hard to find . This was about three to five years ago...I don't know if that is still the case.

Yes it is still the case. Internshipsare very competitive and difficult to get into. And its a lot of hours of fieldwork (min 1200 hours)

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 8:17 pm
cnc wrote:
as of now touro does not have a program that is accredited to do an rd, althoufh they may have a nutrition program... so be careful.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 9:04 pm
Are there any non co-ed programs out there?

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 11:17 am
TTI has an RD program

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 3:51 pm
Is there not one school, non co ed, that DD can actually go to? We are not thrilled with an online program. Anyone??

cnc

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 3:58 pm
amother wrote:
Is there not one school, non co ed, that DD can actually go to? We are not thrilled with an online program. Anyone??

I highly doubt it....there are very few RD programs as it is....

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't exist, as Sara Schneirer are Touro are the only all female programs in Brooklyn.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:55 am
Anon because I enrolled.

I'm not sure if this will help you, but my past nutrition professor at Touro, Leah Wollofsky, is starting a nutrition consulting course.

It's not a dietician program or degree, just a course teaching you how to be a nutrition consultant. How figure out how many calories someone needs, nutrition for special populations, how to work with different kinds of clients, how to take client notes. It's meant for people who want to start nutrition businesses/be a nutrition consultant. It's legal to practice nutrition in New York without a nutrition degree or without being a dietician but you can't do certain things like work for a hospital as a nutrition consultant and not a dietician.
This might be good for your daughter if she just wants to see clients without going the full 4-years for a college degree (Like I do). It's starting this Monday, women's only and will be in Machon in Boro Park.

I have to say, the teacher, Leah Wollofsky, is one of the most genuine, nicest, and dynamic teachers you will ever meet. I learned so much from her. She is a nutrition genius and in law school (so she knows the legals). I can post the number if you need it.

Hatzlocha.

Maybe

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:58 am
http://www.integrativenutrition.com/ I know a graduate who can get you some discounts

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:39 am
Integrative nutrition is also a fully-online program. The OP says she doesn't want online. Do you know how much they cost, btw? I didn't find it on their website.

nursemomma

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:45 am
amother wrote:
Anon because I enrolled.

I'm not sure if this will help you, but my past nutrition professor at Touro, Leah Wollofsky, is starting a nutrition consulting course.

It's not a dietician program or degree, just a course teaching you how to be a nutrition consultant. How figure out how many calories someone needs, nutrition for special populations, how to work with different kinds of clients, how to take client notes. It's meant for people who want to start nutrition businesses/be a nutrition consultant. It's legal to practice nutrition in New York without a nutrition degree or without being a dietician but you can't do certain things like work for a hospital as a nutrition consultant and not a dietician.
This might be good for your daughter if she just wants to see clients without going the full 4-years for a college degree (Like I do). It's starting this Monday, women's only and will be in Machon in Boro Park.

I have to say, the teacher, Leah Wollofsky, is one of the most genuine, nicest, and dynamic teachers you will ever meet. I learned so much from her. She is a nutrition genius and in law school (so she knows the legals). I can post the number if you need it.

Hatzlocha.

I actually heard about her course as well - I did not enroll but it sounds like a great opportunity!
Also, for op: I think Brooklyn college has a great nutritionist program, and it's a city college so you get reputation and great price! I don't know details abt prerequisites etc.
good luck with whatever she decides!

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:54 am
I think it's a bargain of a price because she's starting out. I paid more for the course I took with her at Touro (because each credit was over 500 dollars). There's a lot of speakers who are co-teaching the class. I also like the fact that she's super-transparent about everything (If you call her, the first thing she will tell you is that this is not a dietician course and explains the exact differences.)

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
Im in Queens College for Dietetics.
The undergrad is 72 credits specific to dietetics.
Brooklyn College may have a program, I'm not sure.
All I do know is to become an RD (registered dietitian) you need to make sure that the program is accredited by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND). I know many people who have started a program and wasted a lot of time because the program was to become a nutritionists and not accredited to become a dietitian.
Feel free to post specific questions and I will do my best to offer.
Hatzlacha!

amother is 100% correct.
Please make sure the program is accredited by the AND. I know way too many people who wasted their time.
I am also in Queen College for Dietetics.
I believe that Brooklyn College also has a program and I recently heard that Touro is opening one (but I am skeptical)
If you have any questions please post!
Wishing your daughter the best of luck!

Maybe

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:38 pm
amother wrote:
Integrative nutrition is also a fully-online program. The OP says she doesn't want online. Do you know how much they cost, btw? I didn't find it on their website.

$5000 b/4 discounts, they do have some onsite classes.

Dr Limoges gives nutrition courses in Brooklyn to a female only group
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children