Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Wigs - is there really a difference?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 6:41 pm
I've decided to cover my hair with a wig instead of a scarf. I don't know what type of wig to get. They range from $15 in some stores to $5000 in the Jewish stores. Even if the expensive ones last longer and look better, I don't get the huge difference of prices. Is it really worth getting a expensive one? What do you do if you want to change style or color? Do you buy another very expensive one?
PS There is no way I can spend thousands on a wig, but I want to know if there is really such a difference between wigs and what the "normal" price would be for a good wig.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 7:05 pm
I think in general there is a huge different in quality and longevity between say a $600 wig and a $3000 wig. there are also extremely overpriced wigs out there that end up looking terrible way quicker than a real steal one could find at the lower end of the range. a lot of it is luck, and buying from someone you can trust regarding the hair.

if you go through a good sheitel macher who will back up her product, I think you can do fairly well for less than $1000. you will probably be able to find something that will last for a good couple of years. keep in mind though that if you only have one wig and you wear it long hours every day, it won't stay looking good as long.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 7:09 pm
Not all synthetics look right. But with some rummaging around and returning a few or giving them away (they are that cheap) you can find a synthetic that suits you fine. They you get three or even five exactly the same and you are set for years.

To me, it doesn't have to be your own haircolor, just whatever looks nice, but maybe every community has its own norms.

As for changing your wig's look, it's probably best to not get too different all the time; people get confused. Again, community norms.

When it's right you will know. You will feel it.

If you were generally that color, sort of, changing from curly to straight is an acceptable change, I think. Wavy is one thing but lots of tight curls are harder to comb.

There are million of styles.

If you have a small head, they come in Petite. If a synthetic wig is too tight, you can cut the inside band in one or more places.

You might experiment with looks using synthetics, and when you know better what you want, get a human hair one like your favorite synthetic. Obviously, going through a pile of almosts that cost hundreds, and more, and don't work for you, isn't very practical.

It isn't bad to have a supply of synthetic almosts in the closet, however; one's taste can change. What you don't like now, you might like in six months. Or might suit a particular occasion.

My own take is I don't mind if very interested and sharp-eyed people can tell it's a wig. I am proud of wearing a wig. But I do like looking good in one.

Runner18

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 8:02 pm
For what it's worth, I have a $700 yaffa wig I bought three years ago on sale...the woman told me it would last at least two years. It's been three and a half years and people can't tell I'm wearing a wig. I kinda prefer it over my $3000 custom.

FYI- I wash my wigs MAYBE three times a year. And I use a curling iron on it a couple times a years. Less is more.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 11:08 pm
I found a huge difference between my $500 wig and my $2000 wig. Between my $2000 and $4000, not so much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics