Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
What's a better breakfast for a 5 year old?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:38 am
My daughter has been eating cereal and milk for breakfast for a while now but is now sick of it. She now asks for a bagel with cream cheese in the mornings. Is a bagel with cream cheese ok for a 5 year old to eat for breakfast? Part of me feels like I should try to convince her to have cereal and milk, but I know what it feels like to get sick of something and not want it for a while. I know I probably sound silly bringing this up but I guess Im just so used to giving her cereal in the mornings. But I guess a bagel isn't so bad. There are carbs, protein and calcium. I may have just answered my own question LOL

myself

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:40 am
What makes cereal a better choice? Besides practicality of course.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:44 am
Cereal is not exactly health food. Whats the issue?

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:48 am
Cream cheese bagel doesn't provide much protein.

There are so many other choices of breakfast food. She can drink half a cup of milk while eating a grilled cheese sandwich for example.

Pb&j, cheese sandwich, hard boiled eggs, many quick options for the morning that have a lot more protein.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 12:19 pm
Any way you can put in a good quality cheese , so thing higher in protein than cream cheese?

sitting

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 1:53 pm
u cld make and freeze breakfast muffins. g3t her drinking oj or milk with her bagel. some slice real cheese on side? mine like wholewheat crackers and cheddar cheese with cup of milk. she can always have some dry cereal in a cup after bagel or crackers if u want.

lucky14

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 5:11 pm
Yeah, if you don't keep cholov yisroel there are some cream cheeses with slightly higher protein amounts, or spreadable cheeses. What about melted cheese on bagel (for a little more protein).

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 5:13 pm
You can also try nut butter on a toasted bagel. Its one of my favorite breakfasts.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:49 am
I'm concerned about too much sugar if it's regular cereals. Bagels are better, and I'm in favour of children eating 'hard' foods that require chewing. Cottage cheese is better than cream cheese.
Otherwise, wholemeal toast and eggs, served with fresh fruits (not OJ) would be far healthier.

piece

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:14 am
oatmeal, whole wheat muffins with cup milk, yogurt, rice cakes with American cheese (even toasted), scrambled eggs with whole wheat crackers. I jut find that bagels are extremely fattening, no?

ahuva06

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:27 am
piece wrote:
oatmeal, whole wheat muffins with cup milk, yogurt, rice cakes with American cheese (even toasted), scrambled eggs with whole wheat crackers. I jut find that bagels are extremely fattening, no?

Usually fattening isn't a problem for children who are 5 years old, am I wrong?

When I was a little girl, breakfast always made me nauseous since I am not a morning person. Toast with butter was my favorite.

Vanilla

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 8:25 am
Introduce her to whole wheat bagels, top with scrambled eggs and cheese or bake as a pizza bagel. Do not use American cheese, complete garbage which actually raises your calcium requirements. Does she like yogurt? we make parfait cups/"sundaes" with fresh fruit topped with yogurt and granola in fancy, glass,stemmed ice cream cups. If you're really ambitious, set up a bento box type of breakfast with a small, varied, healthful item in each section.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 8:58 am
Vanilla wrote:
Do not use American cheese...which actually raises your calcium requirements.

What does this mean? How does eating American cheese raise your calcium requirements?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 11:16 am
Personally I don't think either is a great breakfast but between cereal and bagel I'd rather the bagel. Most cereals have a laundry list of undesirable ingredients and too much sugar.

browser

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 1:14 pm
Eggs are great to give kids for breakfast. Provides essential fatty acids and protein that will keep her full and give her energy.
high carb/sugar breakfast creates a spike in blood sugar, I.e. bagels.
If u have carbs eat it with healthy fat- I.e. butter. stick away from cream cheese and American cheese.

daisy dukes

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 1:34 pm
These breakfast "cupcakes" look really good, your dd might enjoy it. Leave out the ham (I guess you can use facon instead) and add whatever veggies she might like. http://breakfastcups.littlethi.....hacks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers