Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What are your tricks..
Previous  1  2

sourstix

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:44 pm
I have heard about the suppostitories but never tried them. will give it a try. including gatorade. which flavor is the best?

Lydia

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:16 pm
Powerade or Gatorade throughout the day before the fast has really helped me. There is one kind that is white. It seems that since I'm drinking a large quantity it's better not to have food coloring in it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:19 pm
What has it come to that we are using caffeine suppositories? Yes, I'm amother because people know who I am IRL. Apologies. But this is madness.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:30 pm
To me it's not about the day before or the meal before, it's about the whole week. If I eat healthy food and drink a lot all week, I find that the most helpful. I start drinking diluted gatorade a few days beforehand. Basically - makeing sure your body is well hydrated isn't about drinking 20 cups of water in the 12 hours before.

I've always found the day after the fast harder than the actual fast. The last few fasts I've made sure to drink gatorade after the fast and the next day and it seems to help somewhat.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:36 pm
I think that if you can take tylenol then you wont need the caffeine. It's usually taken to get rid of a headache, so why not just take the tylenol? I used tylenol suppositories on yom kippur once but then I found out that it's probably okay to swallow tylenol without using water (I can do that). Please ask your rav just to make sure.

If I take vitamins before the fast I find that I have more energy then I usually do. ( I don't usually take vitamins) For example, I would take double the amount of a multi vitamins and I really feel energized. Also, it's important to eat and drink a lot the day before. Forget the diet and just eat. It gives me lots of energy to eat and drink more than I normally do.

smss

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:40 pm
amother wrote:
I think that if you can take tylenol then you wont need the caffeine. It's usually taken to get rid of a headache, so why not just take the tylenol? I used tylenol suppositories on yom kippur once but then I found out that it's probably okay to swallow tylenol without using water (I can do that). Please ask your rav just to make sure.

The 2 together are more effective IME. I would take it first thing in the morning. (Now I'm off caffeine finally for the first time in several years. Looking forward to seeing what fasting will be like this way! Smile)

But anyway, yes, I think on Tisha B'Av you can swallow pills w/o water. So you could just take an Excedrin.

heidi

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 12:54 am
amother wrote:
What has it come to that we are using caffeine suppositories? Yes, I'm amother because people know who I am IRL. Apologies. But this is madness.

Why is it madness?
It helps people who need caffeine to get them going function on a fast day.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 1:00 am
Lemon Ice Gatorade has the least amount of food coloring, and is pretty tasty. I always cut it in half with water, and drank it by the gallon. Eating a big bowl of oatmeal with dried fruit and chopped nuts before the fast can hold you for a really long time.

sky

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 8:51 am
If someone drinks 1 or more coffees a day and then cannot on a fast it can be painful. So yes, the caffeine suppositories save the day. Tylenol alone would not cut it.

chaya35

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 1:23 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Carbs and fats are good, protein not.
Almond butter really helps.
Grape juice is hydrating, this year we can have it because of shabbos.
Grapes
Kalei Tzom pills or drops. Crush or dilute in shot glasses of juice to be able to take them on Shabbos.
LOTS of water from a few days before.
Start weaning yourself from caffeine a week before.

Break your fast on water and a fruit. It gets your digestive system going more comfortably.

Have you every tried crushing the kalei tzom? Would like to do it and want to know how to do it & if it worked before I try.

Fave

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 1:37 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Lemon Ice Gatorade has the least amount of food coloring, and is pretty tasty. I always cut it in half with water, and drank it by the gallon. Eating a big bowl of oatmeal with dried fruit and chopped nuts before the fast can hold you for a really long time.

I like the oatmeal idea - how can I prepare on Shabbos?

piece

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 8:03 am
a lot of fruits & a lot of natural lemon/lime juice gives me a lot of energy for the fast day

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 8:11 am
amother wrote:

If I take vitamins before the fast I find that I have more energy then I usually do. ( I don't usually take vitamins) For example, I would take double the amount of a multi vitamins and I really feel energized. Also, it's important to eat and drink a lot the day before. Forget the diet and just eat. It gives me lots of energy to eat and drink more than I normally do.

I won't recommend this--it can be actually harmful to overdose some vitamins, esp non water-soluble ones like Vit A and Vit E.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note