Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Twins married to twins give birth minutes apart
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 6:24 am
really, you don't think it would matter if family a took home family b's child?

shock

Obviously there would be no way of finding out since they have identical DNA.

I'm guessing in this particular case they were VERY careful with security bracelets.

My question is: How is this (genetically) different then if 2 regular non twin brothers married 2 regular sisters?

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 6:28 am
And how different am I to my sister?

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 6:42 am
Remember though, just because these kids are genetically siblings, doesn't mean that they have the same DNA as identical twins would. They would have each gotten a different pattern of DNA from their respective parents, so it is likely that they would simply look like siblings, not identical twins.

At any rate, most newborns do look pretty similar.

grace413

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 6:53 am
So let's say Twin Couple A had a boy and Twin Couple B had a girl.
They are genetically siblings.
Would they halachically be allowed to marry? Would they be considered siblings or cousins? And if assur would that be d'oraisa or d'rabbanan?

Just an intellectual exercise.

AlwaysThinking

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 6:53 am
I think what Raisin meant is that you couldn't use a dna test to work out which baby belonged to who, because it would match both sets of parents. I'm sure they look different, as siblings do!

I am married to an identical twin - my son and his cousin don't look very alike although they are genetic half siblings and a similar age.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 5:25 pm
Raisin wrote:

My question is: How is this (genetically) different then if 2 regular non twin brothers married 2 regular sisters?

In the second scenario, which btw was quite common in Europe and is not exactly unheard of today, the children are double first cousins. They have twice as much DNA in common as regular cousins, but they are not genetic siblings because their parents are not genetically identical. It would be unwise but not illegal for them to marry in places where first cousins are permitted to marry. Then again, it's not such a good idea for even regular first cousins, with just one set of grandparents in common, to marry.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics