Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Coffee on Shabbos?
Previous  1  2

Sanguine

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 3:33 pm
Found a reason for water in cup before instant coffee
Quote:
I didn't know that instant coffee was pre-cooked, and was wondering why instant coffee must be added after the hot water if it's already cooked since "ain bishul achar bishul".
The star-k website addresses this: Note: Some opinions consider dry foods that dissolve when added to hot liquid a davar lach, a liquid. To allow for this opinion, it is better to put such additives only into a kli sheni after the hot liquid has been added. For example, it is best to first place hot water into a cup and then add instant coffee.

There's a whole discussion of coffee makers on Shabbat on Yeshiva World. I like this line - "as of now, I am not sure you can find an issur, but trust the "chumro brigade" they'll find one soon."
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com.....abbos

SRD

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 4:42 pm
I recommend making cold brew coffee - which should please serious coffee drinkers, and is way better than instant. Use coarse ground coffee, 2 tbs per cup, and you don't even need to filter it, after letting it sit the grounds settle at the bottom of the pitcher. No machinery needed.

Instructions: Place the coffee grounds in a 2-quart pitcher, add the water, and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and let steep at room temperature for at least 12 hours and up to 1 day. Refrigerate for up to 5 days. Serve.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 5:45 pm
There are new types of instant coffee which incorporates microground coffee beans.
They taste much closer to real coffee than the standard instant coffee granules.

mille

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 5:59 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
There are new types of instant coffee which incorporates microground coffee beans.
They taste much closer to real coffee than the standard instant coffee granules.

Starbucks Via is an example of a brand of instant microground coffee, OP, which is a pretty darn good substitute even for coffee lovers. Most types have an OU (but check, because I think they make some fancy 'latte' type ones now that might not).

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 6:08 pm
DH would not take regular coffee brewed on a timer, but he would politely ask for a cup of plain hot water instead (he likes it, I think it's weird.)

Whole Foods has some expensive organic instant coffee that is really good - far better than most store brands.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 6:11 pm
I haven't bought but there are some excellent coffee concentrates that are essentially the cold brewed coffee posted above. You add to hot water and they are much liked by serious coffee drinkers.

On the other hand, most people I know would be able to do without a cup of coffee under the circumstances you are describing unless they are absolute cultural Neanderthals. I would however have good tea available and not a flaccid generic tea bag. :-)

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 7:25 pm
google "youtube cold brew coffee". It's an easy method of making coffee concentrate, much like tea "essence", to which you can add hot water to make hot coffee or cold water and ice to make iced coffee. I would make it more concentrated than the video recommends if you want to make hot coffee, because the concentrate has to be refrigerated and adding enough hot water to make it really hot will dilute it too much.

BTW you don't need a French press; any old glass jar will do. A gefilte-fish jar, suitably aired out to remove any residual fish smell, of course, is ideal. Just pour the coffee through a coffee filter instead of depressing the press's plunger after it has steeped for the recommended time.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 7:35 pm
if you use tea bags on shabbos, you may want to get coffee bags. they work quite nicely.

newmother

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 7:54 pm
I some people hold you can use a Melitta on shabbos which uses ground coffeehttp://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0014CVEH6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1437695586&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=coffee+milita&dpPl=1&dpID=51UsxA6CVHL&ref=plSrch

Kumphort

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:12 pm
Not sure if u have a trader joes near u. But they have a good cold brew concentrate. I also saw recently that maxwell house started selling a coffee concentrate also

happybeingamom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 11:41 pm
Kumphort wrote:
Not sure if u have a trader joes near u. But they have a good cold brew concentrate. I also saw recently that maxwell house started selling a coffee concentrate also

I wonder do they make tea concentrate? I am don't like makeing tea essence every Friday and three quarters gets pored out after Shabbos.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 12:22 am
happybeingamom wrote:
I wonder do they make tea concentrate? I am don't like makeing tea essence every Friday and three quarters gets pored out after Shabbos.

Why not just freeze the extra until the next shabbos?

Sanguine

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 7:10 am
OP - I hope you stopped following this thread before you had a nervous breakdown. I'm a serious coffee drinker (and it's not easy to keep up the coffeemaker habit in Israel Wink ), but I drink instant on Shabbat and also when I go to someone else's house (since very very few people in Israel use coffeemakers).

In general, morning coffee is the really important thing (and that's when you have to deal with caffeine starved grouches). Are you also checking who likes chocolate cake or white? Just make sure to fill your urn all the way before Shabbat and buy a new jar of instant and everyone will be fine. coffee

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 7:13 am
Also, Nescafé Gold is the best instant out there. Smile They should export to the States.

Sanguine

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 7:29 am
tigerwife wrote:
Also, Nescafé Gold is the best instant out there. Smile They should export to the States.
Don't get carried away Wink

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 7:41 am
My parents own a shabbes urn but are afraid as it makes lots of noise and seems to heat a lot, so cold... :/

princessleah

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 9:48 am
I'm a coffee addict. Buy the Starbucks VIA instant brand to be fancy. In summer I buy the Trader Joe's coffee concentrate, you add water or milk or ice, etc. Delicious.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 10:10 am
Sanguine wrote:
OP - I hope you stopped following this thread before you had a nervous breakdown. I'm a serious coffee drinker (and it's not easy to keep up the coffeemaker habit in Israel Wink ), but I drink instant on Shabbat and also when I go to someone else's house (since very very few people in Israel use coffeemakers).

In general, morning coffee is the really important thing (and that's when you have to deal with caffeine starved grouches). Are you also checking who likes chocolate cake or white? Just make sure to fill your urn all the way before Shabbat and buy a new jar of instant and everyone will be fine. coffee

THANK YOU

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 1:22 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:

I discovered these 6 months ago, and they are amazing!

Plus they totally solve my problem of what to give dh for a random little gift, he is a major coffeeholic and adores the small samples I get him (usually on special offer ;-)).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note