Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I have no energy for Shabbos

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 1:43 pm
I dread Shabbos coming every week. I don't like the food, the cooking, the cleaning before and after, the meals, the kids home from camp from mid Friday until Monday morning. I have to go grocery shopping now for Shabbos and I have no energy to get off the couch. I wish I could take a break from Shabbos coming every week! Does anyone have any tips on how to start enjoying Shabbos again?

elisheva25

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 1:51 pm
Take it easy . Simple meals. Put kids to bed for Friday night meal. Sleep in Shabbos morning. Make urself a yummy Coffe before the meal.Nap after daytime meal.Make play date for kids Shabbos afternoon. Menu can look like this:
Friday night :
Challah/dips
Gefilte fish
crock pot chicken/potatoes/baby carrots
Fruit for dessert

Shabbos day:
Vegetable platter
Salad
Cholent
Fruit

s"s (before fast)
Pasta
Salmon
Fruit

And ure done:)))

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 2:33 pm
Can you send an email with your grocery order to the store? Most frum neighborhoods have stores that deliver. Or in the alternative, buy easy food like takeout chicken soup and noodles, freshly made sushi on Friday afternoon. (I myself am doing all of this).

chulentalakiddush

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 4:49 pm
Take this shabbos off. Smile by that I mean buy takeout and don't clean.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 5:27 pm
There's no take out where I live! Days camps only run a few weeks so kids are home minimum half the summer. With older kids in the mix, the days are sooo long from early morning til late night....summer is so hard! I hear ya, OP...

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:00 pm
oh boy do I understand you!!! for me its the kids being home for such a long weekend. they fight and kill eachother and wreck the house. its super stressful! I always wonder if im the only one that absolutely dreads the weekends!!!!

sourstix

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:32 pm
so you dont like cooking in general? is there any food you like that you can incorporate in the meals? its horrible that you cant enjoy any of the food? I am guessing you dont like proteins bec there is a lot of that. how was it when you grew up? did your mother make you anything you liked? did you enjoy shabos then? what about the cleaning on shabbos, theres is not much on that. its just packing off the table and maybe sweep. no scrubbing washing dishes. ok if you dont have enough then maybe use nice plastic, its one day of the week I splurge and do it the comfortable. I buy things I really can make, but I seriously need to cut my workload. do you make everything? you sound overloaded. how old are your kids?(dont have to tell me) if they are young then they make a big mess agree on that. but its one day I dont make an issue and I clean after shabbis. I need my rest and I sleep in as much as I could. I even ask dh to watch kids when hes up so I can have quiet. or at least not be with the kids all the time. there are solutions. dreading shabbos and wanting skipping isnt what you really want. you dont like certain things and you need to figure out solutions. some details will help us come up with solutions.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:58 pm
TELL YOUR HUSBAND TO HELP YOU. Here's a hint: Without help, don't do it. The worst that's going to happen is that no one will starve and everyone will see that you need help.

Guess what? Nothing has to be clean. I know that sounds like crazy-talk, but I promise, nothing will happen if the house is a wreck.

Guess what? Your children need to help. I have my 8 year old sweeping, all my kids know to load the dishwasher, I don't serve anything on platters - everything is self serve from the pans. Any toys they take out have to be put away and cleaned up. Even my three year old understands about cleaning. The one that cleans gets a jelly bean, the best cleaner gets a lollipop/chocolate/soda can.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 2:51 am
Op- I think my biggest problem is the repetitiveness of it all. Ex: food. Every week it's gefilta fish, chicken soup, kugel, etc. my husband is very traditional when it comes to food and would be upset if I skipped the traditional stuff. Sometimes my husband lets me sleep in the morning or in the afternoon, but it's not every week. If he has a crazy week at work, like this week, he's falling apart by the end of the week. Also, he's a wonderful person, but not a great "Shabbos tatty" he doesn't sing with the kids, I have to beg him to do the parsha questions with my kids, the meals are just like any meal for the most part, which I think is why I resent the extra prep that Shabbos meals involve.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 6:44 am
So make something different. Your shabbos menucha is just as important as your husbands. Personally I find it easier to stick to the same basic menu every week - gefilta fish, a salad, dips, and chicken with sides, but I alternate the side dishes and dessert so it doesn't feel too monotonous. I also don't make soup. Its yummy but no one can handle that much food. Sometimes I make soup but not fish. But, we have a lot of guests each week. If it were just our family I would make much smaller meals.

If your husband loves kugel make a huge batch of potato kugel, freeze in little pans and pull one out every week. you can do the same with soup as well but that takes up more space.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics