Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Hospitality bag for Shabbos Simcha for out of town guests

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 6:42 pm
What should I put in my hospitality bag

Here is what I am thinking

A Schedule
Bottle of Water litter size or 2 personal sizes
2 tea lights and tea light holders (where can I get that in Lakewood)
Nuts and Chocolate

The guests are not sleeping in my house do I need to put something in for breakfast (my family doesn't eat before davening) I can't host breakfast as I am having a kiddush in the house.

Also need a good idea for the iron on the bag (I am guessing I should put on "DS's Bar Mitzvah) but what else to make it nice.

animeme

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 7:09 pm
Please don't give nuts. You are sending your guests into other people's houses who might have nut allergies. The guests themselves might have allergies and not use anything else in the bag. You can give the chocolate and some dried fruit.

For breakfast, you can give baked goods like the prepackaged reismans pastries. You can put some bottled juice if you like, or a bottled or boxed coffee drink. I don't, because many hosts will offer their guests juice and coffee, and even cereal. I give juice boxes if there are kids.

I like to give a Mishpacha magazine. Also, it can sometimes be helpful to give a map along with the schedule. We printed off of Google Maps and marked off the shul, our house, and their house.

Mazal tov!

momX4

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 7:13 pm
I appreciated a box of opened tissues the most

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 7:42 pm
I've gotten tea lights and holders in NPGS. I would assume Center of Town and Amazing Savings might also carry them. You also need the small pack of matches which we also got in NPGS.
I agree with the open tissues.
One of the local papers, maybe the Voice or the Shopper, advertises that you can order multiple copies for your guests.
A rain bonnet is always nice if there is rain in the forecast.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:00 pm
Don't forget the matches.

animeme

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:08 pm
Agree- matches and tissues. The pocket tissue packs are nice.

agreer

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:42 pm
You are absolutely not responsible for their breakfast, but it's so considerate to think of that.

They could always eat the chocolate/fruit for breakfast, but I like the idea of a pre-packaged pastry so that if they don't eat it, they can take it with them.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:18 pm
I would skip the food, other than water. Many hosts wouldn't want food in the bedrooms.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:49 pm
And don't put the name of your kid on the bag! Guests reusing them won't love it.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:56 pm
agreer wrote:
You are absolutely not responsible for their breakfast, but it's so considerate to think of that.

They could always eat the chocolate/fruit for breakfast, but I like the idea of a pre-packaged pastry so that if they don't eat it, they can take it with them.

I disagree, when you invite families for an entire weekend I think you need to have some sort of food available for the kids for breakfast.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 11:34 pm
Thanks for the feedback, sorry it took so long to get back, I was busy baking for the kiddush.

I didn't think of matches, that is important.

A relative of mine offered to host breakfast so that is taken care of.

Good thinking about avoiding nuts, one of my aunts is extremely allergic.

Putting in tissues is a great idea.

happy to be me

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 2:05 am
Reading material (newspaper or other weekly publication)
mint candies or after dinner mints
a few cups if you're doing 1 large water bottle

If you want to include toiletries -
small packet of Tylenol
mini mouthwash

ahuva06

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 2:36 am
Any out of country guests? My aunt recently made a simcha that I flew out for and she remembered to put an adapter in the welcome baskets for all those who came in from another country. I thought that was super thoughtful!

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 7:05 am
a cheap toothbrush or two.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 7:14 am
When we were guests, the hostess box had three cellophane bags, candies, nuts and chocolates. Tied with matching ribbons. Pocket tissues, tea lights, holder, matchbox with a paper glued to the top personalizing it. 2 small water bottles, one juice bottle. Basic hygiene- flossers, mouthwash, mini sewing kit, safety pins, bobby pins.
These are ideas, whatever you do is very nice, it's nice to have a take home thing, memento.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 7:28 am
I was never given anything like that. I bring my own stuff. Don't go nuts over it, especially since people will always find something they dislike.

SimchaSays

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 9:07 am
If rain is in the forcast, disposable cheap ponchos are great to add.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics