Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need a vaca but no one to watch kids

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:48 pm
I have two little kids and need a vaca deperately for few days. The prob is I have no relatives that could watch them .sigh

Henya

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:58 pm
Can u find an older girl & pay her for a few days? It adds up financially, but so worth it.

Queen6

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 8:59 pm
Vacation is so important! Do you only want to go with your husband? Would you consider a girls trip and have your husband pitch in? Maybe look into hiring a girl to move in. Can you send them out of town for a few days? Think out of the box.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:14 pm
I feel your pain. No vacation for us since the kids were born (we did take a road trip while I was preg with them though) and the twins are already 8. No family to stay with them, and they are too high maintenance to leave witha sitter for more than a couple of hours.

be sure to spend an hour reading a good book or taking a long walk--- mini vaca. Smile

smss

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:29 pm
amother wrote:
I have two little kids and need a vaca deperately for few days. The prob is I have no relatives that could watch them .sigh

When I was in high school I babysat some kids while their parents went away for a night and a day. I don't know if I could have/would have wanted to do longer than that, but hey, it's better than nothing. IIRC they paid me $50, but of course that was several years ago...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:29 pm
There were times when we couldn't go away, so dh stayed home with the kids while I went away for 2 days. I was so desperate and it was so worthwhile for both of us. I was drained beforehand.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:02 am
I find it rather fascinating, because for us and among almost all people I know, vacation (esp summer vacation) means FAMILIES going away, not just husband and wife. I have heard of parents inviting another family member to join (often grandparents, sometimes single siblings or nephews/nieces), some people take nannies to holidays.

piece

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:18 am
how old are your kids? do you use babysitters during the year? you might be able to use a babysitter for an evening & try escape to a hotel for one night,,,,,,,,

Teomima

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:30 am
Why not ask friends to take your kids for a couple of days? Then you can offer to repay the favor by watching theirs so they can have a vacation, too. Bonus for the kids because they get playdates and sleepovers out of it.

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:53 am
The good news is that they do eventually grow up and become independent enough that you'll one day be able to take a vacation without even needing babysitters. Of course, they'll be 16yo or so. But time flies.

Doublestroller

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:58 am
I totally feel for you. I have the same issue. Sometimes good hearted people neighbors or friends would be willing to take your kids for 2 nights. Offer to take their kid in Return of they want to go away. It might help.

Hatzloche Rabbah!

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 11:02 am
When the kids were all small we went on a vacation and brought a babysitter along. We had our own room, she and the kids their own. Not the same as going away alone, but we had quiet in our room at night, could escape to a grown up dinner and walk at night. Didn't have to worry about being so far away from the kids with a non-relative babysitting. Not too bad.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
When the kids were all small we went on a vacation and brought a babysitter along. We had our own room, she and the kids their own. Not the same as going away alone, but we had quiet in our room at night, could escape to a grown up dinner and walk at night. Didn't have to worry about being so far away from the kids with a non-relative babysitting. Not too bad.

How much did you pay the babysitter for this? You got them a separate hotel room or a suite?

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 1:55 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I find it rather fascinating, because for us and among almost all people I know, vacation (esp summer vacation) means FAMILIES going away, not just husband and wife. I have heard of parents inviting another family member to join (often grandparents, sometimes single siblings or nephews/nieces), some people take nannies to holidays.

I'm with you on this. I like to go away with my kids. I only go with DH alone when the kids have school.

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 2:15 pm
We go on mini vacations while the kids are in school, leaving after drop off and coming home before pick up. Once a week was so wonderful. But we haven't had a vacation in months now, and it's taking a toll on our morale. So I support you, OP, in finding a way to get that vacation. A couple needs time alone.

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 2:51 pm
chani8 wrote:
We go on mini vacations while the kids are in school, leaving after drop off and coming home before pick up. Once a week was so wonderful. But we haven't had a vacation in months now, and it's taking a toll on our morale. So I csupport you, OP, in finding a way to get that vacation. A couple needs time alone.

I love spending time with DH while the kids are in school also. It is important.

I want my children to be well traveled. My kids are not learning art, history, civics, architecture, etc in school. They don't go on any educational feild trips. They are not learning these things on the television or the internet. This is my opportunity to expose them to things.

Another mom

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:14 pm
I used to babysit for ppl who went up to the country for a whole Sunday (like 8am - 10 pm)
It might be expensive but I think it was good for them. A hotel vacation was not a likely option so they settled for this, why not? We also went away for a day until the kids were old enough to go away for three.
I enjoyed the extra "income"!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 8:51 pm
Some ideas:
- Go away alone and leave kids with DH (if he is in the picture)
- Go away during the day - send kids to babysitting and spend 4 hours on "vacation".
- Go on a family vacation. All my vacations have been family, and even with the craziness involved, I feel like if planned correctly with correct attitudes you can come back much more content and connected.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics