Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Finland !
1  2  Next

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:30 am
DH has been talking for a while about moving to Finland for a great job opportunity . I didn't take him that seriously , but now it appears he would like to give it a try. The move would be permanent , not just for a year or so.Financially it makes sense, but is there much of a Jewish community outhere?
Are there schools for the kids, a social life for me, kosher food ?
When I think of Finland , all that comes to mind is so and reindeer .Is there anything Jewish ? Any imamothers from there?

wispalover

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:35 am
Pm me. I know someone not Jewish who lives in Finland and I'm sure she'd help you as much as she can.

momofqts

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:43 am
There are chabad shluchim there

trixx

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:44 am
Wow good luck
Chabad info
http://m.chabad.org/centers/de.....d.htm

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:52 am
I'd say to bring a warm coat. A mug for hot cocoa would be good too.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 11:14 am
If you have a hard time being there longterm, after giving it a fair shot, would living in a nearby country with your dh commuting be an option?

ROFL

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 11:38 am
What sort of a job is he going for in Finland? Good luck I am sure you will be a pioneer there

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 2:49 pm
I have a religious friend who has lived in the Northern countries. Do you want me to pass on your mail?

Jewish
Jewish Community Synagogue and Jewish Community Center (Orthodox).

Information available from:
Jewish Community of Helsinki, Finland's web site: www.jchelsinki.fi
Additional information:Kosher Delight - Finland
Malminkatu 26,
00100 Helsinki
Tel: 09 586 0310

FTR, Orthodox in Europe can have barely anyone shomer.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 3:40 pm
I've been to Helsinki only once for an overnight weekday visit. It's a cute compact city, not too different from other Scandi capitals. Everyone speaks English very well.

Though a few things you might want to check: a number of Scandi countries outlawed shechita, so you may only be able to get poultry. Also being very up north, expect Shabbat to end VERY late (I think close to midnight) during summer months.

I hope you'll be able to do a field trip first.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:31 pm
I would call the chabad shluchim and chat to them.

Honestly I would NOT recommend moving to a city like that permanently. (and I say that as someone who lives in a similar size community).

You will almost certainly have to send your kids away to high school, or have them in a non frum or non Jewish school. Social life is tough.

Kosher food is the least of your problems, unless you are addicted to takeaway. Buy a deep freeze and be prepared to ship in meat if none is easily available locally.

fluffernutter

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:42 pm
I just saw on onlysimchas that someone got engaged from Finland and he looked pretty frum so there must be some frum people over there!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:47 pm
I would be wary of Antisemitism. Scandinavians are massively antisemetic. I know, Finland isn't technically Scandinavia, but it's in the neighborhood and borders two Scandinavian countries and is very culturally similar. Sweden and Norway have both banned shechita and are seriously considering banning bris milah. I would tread VERY carefully regarding that part of the world.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 7:56 pm
Raisin wrote:
I would call the chabad shluchim and chat to them.

Honestly I would NOT recommend moving to a city like that permanently. (and I say that as someone who lives in a similar size community).

You will almost certainly have to send your kids away to high school, or have them in a non frum or non Jewish school. Social life is tough.

Kosher food is the least of your problems, unless you are addicted to takeaway. Buy a deep freeze and be prepared to ship in meat if none is easily available locally.

Helsinki has a Jewish community of over 1K as well as a Jewish day school, and a kosher store.

Historically Finlands relationship with Jews has been very mixed and down right antisemitic at times. It would be interesting to speak to someone from Chabad and see what the climate is like for Jews.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 9:36 pm
Some articles you might find a little useful on Jews and Finland, couldn't find much online

http://www.hadassahmagazine.or.....inki/

http://www.ynetnews.com/articl......html

kiwi strawberry

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 11:40 pm
fluffernutter wrote:
I just saw on onlysimchas that someone got engaged from Finland and he looked pretty frum so there must be some frum people over there!

I came on here just to say the same thing! It's on simchaspot too.

Good luck OP. May Hashem grant you clarity.

boysrus

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 12:38 am
fluffernutter wrote:

Hey! I just checked it out just out of curiosity, and guess what! I know the kallah's family from way back when, so exciting!

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 12:46 am
ROFL wrote:
What sort of a job is he going for in Finland? Good luck I am sure you will be a pioneer there

Maybe he works for Nokia.

abby1776

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 6:01 am
Everyone I know from Denmark, Scandinavia, Finland made Aliya.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 7:15 am
My friend left for America. I know some in Eretz, too. And a few in France.
I have a friend who is still there but trying for Paris, but immigration is hard.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 8:46 am
But then again my DH's best chavrusa from the kollel moved to Sweden and lives there happily. People move /make aliya for various different, personal reasons.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating