Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Finland !
Previous  1  2

trying1

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 6:03 pm
Mazal tov to the bochur from Finland- who happens to have learnt in Gateshead yeshiva and has lived in England ever since - sorry to disappoint - know him personally. From what I understand from our new chosson you can get kosher meat there - there is a school but not much of a kehilla- hatzlocha!

trying1

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 6:04 pm
and yes- motzei shabbos and shkia (think mikva) is really late in the summer...

Fave

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 7:22 pm
trying1 wrote:
Mazal tov to the bochur from Finland- who happens to have learnt in Gateshead yeshiva and has lived in England ever since - sorry to disappoint - know him personally. From what I understand from our new chosson you can get kosher meat there - there is a school but not much of a kehilla- hatzlocha!

Is he aware how famous he has become on Imamother?

elisheva25

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 9:00 pm
What kind of a job would be worth such a drastic move???!!

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:16 am
FYI a lot of small european communities maintain Jewish schools quite easily since there is no seperation of church and state so the schools are state funded. In many cases the schools have a small percentage of Jewish students and the remainder of the students are not Jewish at all. And depending on the school the "jewish" kids may not be halachically Jewish. If there are 1000 Jews in Finland I can't imagine there are more then 50-100 kids of school age. Unless it is a really young community, which is unlikely.

I live in such a community and my kids go to such a school and it is a far cry from a frum Day school. And my kids school is probably better then most in that the curriculum is set by frum teachers and most of the teachers are frum.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:37 am
Many community schools do NOT take non Jews. But yes you have to look into this. It's especially a problem at teen age, not kindergarten etc.
My mil worked at the gan izzy somewhere way oot and they opened the thing to "kids of Jewish dad"... some open the TT on Sunday also to these kids, but more if there is an effort to lead to conversion, not "beshitta"...

Bear in mind an Orthodox school can have basically only the teachers' kids as frum... I would be more into Homeschool in those areas.

momofone613

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 3:49 pm
Hi. I am a Frum woman and live in Finland. I can give you an overview of life in Finland for Frum Jews. The Synagogue is located in downtown Helsinki. There is one kosher store, but everything is very over priced there, However, there is a website, kpsher4u.eu, where you can order kosher food, such as kosher meat, cheese, they have some bakery products, wine and grape juice, they even have kosher snacks such as bissli, bamba, chips, ec... you can look it up and see what it is like. The pricing isn't too bad, better then the kosher store here anyways. They ship it to your door. if food is perishable items, they will pack it with dry ice. Also, there are food items you can buy at regular grocery stores. besides for the obvious fruits, veggies, pastas, etc.. they have salmon which can be very well priced, and some other things as well that are on a kosher list in the community. (You do have to be careful tho, because we have found some of the items on the list turned out not to be Kosher.)

The Jewish school is not going to be like a Bais Yaakov type school by any means. AND it only goes up until 9th grade. Most of the kids are not shomer anything, and are coming from a secular style home. so keep that in mind. You can of course home school your children, which is a viable option.

The community itself is made up lots of different kinds of Jews. It is too hard to explain here, but if you are seriously considering moving here, feel free to PM me for in depth details on this... I can tell you as an orthodox Jew living here, it is hard, im not going to lie. Besides us, there is a chabbad family, who are warm, kindhearted amazing people. Then about 2 other families that I consider "on our level". again, if you are still considering living here, please contact me for more details Smile

As for Living in Finland in general, its pretty good. You get really good social benifits and healthcare, (for more info, again just ask) people are nice, but keep to themselves. They wont randomly start a convo with you unless they know you, or ask for directions. Most Finns speak English. And a lot speak it well Smile Keep in mind, everything will be written in Finnish and Swedish. You will have an option to go to a course to learn Finnish AND will get paid for it! If you give birth here, the social benefits are extremely amazing. You will literally get paid to take care of that child until it enters school.... (I can give more details if needed.) you will also receive a box that doubles as a cot for the new born, and inside is clothes, brush, toothbrush, snowsuit for fall and winter, book (in Finnish) teething ring, nail clippers, reusable diaper and breast pad... Also, if you are traveling with a child that is below the age of 2 or 3 (cant remember cut off age) you and that child/children ride free. it includes trains, metro, tram, and bus.

that is a short overview. If you are seriously planning on moving here, I can give more in depth info. Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating