Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What are you making to break the fast ?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

sky

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 3:23 pm
onion rolls from Spice and Spirit are AMAZING

Split Pea Soup
Onion Rolls with butter
Blueberry muffins
salad

Dini

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 3:25 pm
so far there is dough for bagels, found recipe in the mishpacha junior hopefully dd will make it.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 3:41 pm
I'm not making anything. We have salads and challah left over from Shabbat, and the usual cheeses or yogurts that are always in stock in the fridge. Someone wants peanut butter or hummus, we have that, too. What more do we need? It would still be a taanis if we were strong enough to withstand that kind of stress, so a festive meal would be inappropriate IMHO. The chicken left over from Shabbat will hit the table tomorrow.

Chew21

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 3:48 pm
We are having homemade rolls, kiwi strawberry smoothie, carrot muffins pasta, salad and some type of fish

Ashrei

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 3:55 pm
To those who didn't make anything, thank you for making me feel better.

I think I have a box of tomato soup to warm up. ..

sitting

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 3:56 pm
ashrei do not feel bad. heavy meals though we all crave rnt so healthy. better to drink. have a cookie and water. then soup ot somethinf. enjoy

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 3:59 pm
Squash soup from Shabbat and I will try to make French bread. Right now I'm in bed so my husband may end up buying bread.

ahuva06

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 4:02 pm
BeHappy! wrote:
It's from the bais yaakov cookbook...I actually made it from challah dough when I made challah last week, but I did use the onion mixture.
Rolls:
1 c water
1c apple juice
4-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2c sugar
1 stick margarine, softened
1 egg
2 tsp salt
6-1/2 - 7 c flour
Veg cooking spray
Onion filling:
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 stick margarine, melted
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Rolls: place water, aj, yeast and sugar into small bowl and allow to froth. Add margarine, egg, salt, and flour. Knead until smooth. Cover and let rise 1-1/2 hrs.
Preheat oven to 400 F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
While dough is rising, make filling. Mix in in small bowl.
Shape dough into small balls and place on prepared cookie sheet. With a sharp knife, make an x on top of rolls and stuff with onion filling.
Bake 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.
Yields abt 30 rolls.

I made the same recipe and the guys all LOVED!

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 4:10 pm
Sanguine wrote:
I also drank coffee. I knew it was a mistake but I couldn't control myself after dreaming of it all day. I'll be awake past when California breaks their fasts (I think it'll be tomorrow morning here already Hypnotized )

Me too! Why O why?!!

Eating at all was probably a mistake. It'll take until California breaks fast to digest! Ugh.

purpleonion

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 4:15 pm
Oreo cheesecake , crinkle cookies , choc chip bars
Strawberry smoothie , sauté veggies w/cheese on pita , cheesy cauliflower soup , fish ,milchig mashed potato ,

heidi

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 4:22 pm
chani8 wrote:
Me too! Why O why?!!

Eating at all was probably a mistake. It'll take until California breaks fast to digest! Ugh.

Me three!
I couldn't deal with the all night headache if I didn't have the caffeine. And I ate enough carbs to put me in a diabetic coma. So maybe I will sleep.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 4:35 pm
zaq wrote:
I'm not making anything. We have salads and challah left over from Shabbat, and the usual cheeses or yogurts that are always in stock in the fridge. Someone wants peanut butter or hummus, we have that, too. What more do we need? It would still be a taanis if we were strong enough to withstand that kind of stress, so a festive meal would be inappropriate IMHO. The chicken left over from Shabbat will hit the table tomorrow.

I'm with you Zaq. There are plenty of leftovers, no need to cook.

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 4:39 pm
I find that eating something heavy I.e. Shabbos leftovers first thing, on an empty stomach, isn't ideal. I am going to bake: thinking about kokosh cake or cinnamon buns, then we'll have watermelon and grapes. A little while after, we can have some Shabbos leftovers: Pasta salad with Baby corn and dried tomatoes, Potato salad, Beet salad, Roast chicken, Potato Kugel, Roast zucchini.

einstern

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 4:44 pm
We just had pizza burekas and cheese burekas, Israeli salad and Persian rice. Despite nursing I MADE IT.

etky

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 4:52 pm
heidi wrote:
Me three!
I couldn't deal with the all night headache if I didn't have the caffeine. And I ate enough carbs to put me in a diabetic coma. So maybe I will sleep.

Me four but I know that coffee doesn't keep me up.
I just wanted my usual hot beverage to go with the breakfast - toasted bagels and eggs - that we were having for our break-fast meal.
If I don't sleep it's because I slept this afternoon and my schedule is completely off, especially coming as the fast did on the heels of Shabbat.

etky

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 4:54 pm
einstern wrote:
We just had pizza burekas and cheese burekas, Israeli salad and Persian rice. Despite nursing I MADE IT.

I always found fasting much much harder when nursing rather than when pregnant. Be very diligent about replacing lost fluids tonight and throughout the day tomorrow.

Another mom

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:06 pm
No patience for rolls -it's a fast day!!
I made scalloped potaotes with cream,a mushroom quiche and frozen peas(w/ onions)...Still a bit of work, but what can you do??
Of course I drank coffee.... and will be up LATE too!

tzila

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:07 pm
I'm making creamed vegetable soup (from this week's Family First), pita pizzas, and cinnamon cake

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:12 pm
Second load of laundry already in dryer. If I'm going to be up all night from too much coffee, I may as well get laundry done

einstern

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:13 pm
etky wrote:
Be very diligent about replacing lost fluids tonight and throughout the day tomorrow.

Thank you for the advice! After last Yom Kippur I was dried up the day after. I tried to hydrate the days before the fast and as I am not exclusively breastfeeding my child he will just have to nosh on other things tomorrow What
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note