Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Is it possible to hide protein for a picky eater?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:30 am
I need ideas for how to hide protein in food for my very picky child. she wont eat any animal protein. no meat, chicken, eggs, fish.
is there any way to hide these?

she likes milchic foods, and at this point cheese is her only source of protein. I feel like she gets no iron or b12. it cant possibly be healthy like this. and its not just a phase so I need ideas!

HELP

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:33 am
Buy protein powder and mix it into her baked goods, both sweet and savory.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:37 am
French toast. I get a whole egg into each slice.

Pancakes. I don't have a recipe but I use egg as most of my "liquid" so it comes out pretty high in protein.

Find a good protein powder and make shakes/ smoothies with it.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:39 am
Also nuts and seeds are high in protein. Does your child like peanut butter or other nut butters? What about techina?
Beans? Chumus?

I know you were asking about animal protein but there are other ways to get it.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:48 am
wow thanks for the quick replies!

she does like french toast and pancakes so thats a good idea. do you have high protien recipes for these?

she wont eat peanut butter, or chummus or techina.
she might eat beans if I cook it a really tasty way, any ideas?
not only does she not eat a huge list of foods, the foods she does eat have to be really well made and tasty or she wont eat them.

yes I know she is super picky. though I prefer to say she has delicate taste buds. What

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:51 am
I also want to mention that she would eat chicken or meat if its hidden in a food, and has a great taste over it. like a sauce or something.
like she wont eat a piece of chicken, but if I put a few slices of well seasoned chicken breast inside a wrap filled with vegetables, she can manage to eat it.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:56 am
Cottage cheese pancakes are pretty high in protein.

browser

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:59 am
If u buy protein powder make sure it's not made of soy. It's an estrogen mimicker in the body and does not have the value of animal protien.
besides, if u want soy protein, it can be found in every processed food!

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 11:07 am
Would she eat a good stir fry loaded with strips of veggies? You can make a delicious sauce for it and the chicken flavor is totally masked.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 11:39 am
Wonderful ideas. It would also be good if she took a one-a-day; perhaps a chewable on washed down with a flavored drink. That would give her iron and the B vitamins.

Dark green leafy raw salad greens have good stuff too. You don't say she doesn't eat salads.

pause

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 11:47 am
Quinoa is a high-protein grain which can be added to soups and to ground meat/chicken recipes.

LovetoLive

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 12:19 pm
browser wrote:
If u buy protein powder make sure it's not made of soy. It's an estrogen mimicker in the body and does not have the value of animal protien.
besides, if u want soy protein, it can be found in every processed food!

whats wrong with soy protein?

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 1:17 pm
Don't fight her on her choice of protein- better to insist she get some protein, but give her a few choices. Dairy meal where you're serving fish- if she won't eat the fish, she can take a yogurt from the fridge. Fleishig meal- she can eat a serving of dairy protein in the kitchen (assuming fleishigs are in the dining room) after the meal, assuming she'll eat pareve sides. If you don't mind the extra effort, make her some kind of legume (lentils/beans/chickpeas/soy) and make sure she's eating whole grains as well (whole wheat bread or crackers, brown rice, other cooked whole grains such as barley or bulgur, popcorn)- they don't need to be at the same meal.

She might be well-advised to take an iron and/or b12 supplement, as Dolly said. Calcium inhibits iron absorption, so iron-fortified breakfast cereals eaten with milk aren't really effective sources of iron. Neither is sesame for the same reason.

If you see this as an opportunity to teach nutrition rather than a problem, you'll probably both come out happier and saner. Bonus parenting points if she learns some cooking skills along the way.

-Signed, a healthy lacto-ovo vegetarian since age 11

browser

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 4:06 pm
Here are some articles that discuss some of the issues with soy. Processed soy is really an issue. If you want to eat it try fermented soy as the Japanese do.
http://renegadehealth.com/blog.....n-soy
http://www.scientificamerican......tein/

lucky14

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 4:50 pm
will she eat sloppyp joes or tacos? (you said if it's in sauce or wrap she'll eat it), what about scrambled eggs? eggs and cheese (I know you said she already eats alot of cheese...), yogurt? yogurt, fruit and granola parfets? crustless cheesecake made with greek yogurt, edamame, etc. someone suggested cottage cheese pancakes,those are great Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:56 pm
Invest in a small hand blender, it will save your sanity.

If she eats parve veggie soup, take some of the broth, add some meat, and blend it until it is completely liquid, and then add it back into the veggie soup. It makes a delicious, silky base, and no "texture" issues. There's nothing to pick out!

My DD is the same way with most meats, and she will happily eat blended soup with veggies. DH, on the other hand, will eat tons of meat, but he hates veggies. For him, I blend lots of veggies into sauces, and he always tells me how delicious the gravy is.

You just gotta be sneaky! LOL

PassionFruit

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 6:03 pm
my son is so picky he won't eat chicken or meat or fish, but for protien we do: all kinds of nuts, nut cookies with low sugar, chickpeas, string cheese, egg whites. Recently he's agreed to "lick" chicken. I hope this is the first step in chewing it.

yaelinIN

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 6:54 pm
You can make tofu based chocolate mousse. Google recipes - don't hesitate to use a little powdered sugar to make it a little sweeter if you need to. Then you can add some whipped cream (you can add some powdered milk to give it more protein).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children