Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Searching for a name inspired by the name rivka

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 6:30 am
for emotional reasons (having to do with Rivka Imainu and feeling touched and 'spoken to' by her life, etc) I would love to name my baby (coming pretty soon, I"YH!!) Rivka.
for family reasons, I cannot use it. I am trying to look for a name inspired by her middos, or inspired by a lesson we learn from her.
(I considered Riva, but dh didn't go for it, at all.)
any suggestions?

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 6:55 am
Liba (she had a kind heart)

singleagain

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 6:55 am
I have a book called "what's in a name" by rabbi matityahu glazerson, and in the summery of rivkah he says "the name rivkah indicates capacities of modesty, understanding (binah), and deep perceptivity combined with the trait of kindness (chessed.)"

so maybe names along the lines of binah, or chassidah or similar

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 7:09 am
Is Rebekkah too close to Rivka?

My mother was Regina for her English name and Rivka was her Yiddish name.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 8:58 am
Thank you! I love these suggestions! Will run them by dh tonight.

penguin

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 9:47 am
I just heard a hilarious story from Rav Fishel Schachter. It seems the father was running home to take care of the other kids right before Shabbos and when the nurse said his wife gave birth - yoldah (with a kamatz) - he thought she said it was a girl - yaldah (with a patach). So he named her Rivka.

So when his wife asked him after Shabbos, "so how was the Sholom Zochor?" he almost fainted...

So the Rav told him, "ishto kegufo, his name is Yitzchak."

"Oy, but if it was a boy I wanted to name after my great-grandfather."

"No, his name is Yitzchak." Rav Schachter's point is that sometimes there's hashgacha protis and we don't know how to accept it.

But I was wondering if it would apply to your case. Can you use something like the idea of Yitzchak such as Aliza? (Laughter, happiness?) I know it's a bit of a stretch, but thought I would mention it...

There's also actually a name in Yiddish Mamaleh. So if you want to think of Rivka Imenu????

Or how about a name that uses some of the same letters sounds (that's my bad spelling gene, it's a kaf not a kuf), like Kochava? You haven't told us if you want a traditional type of name or are open to more unusual or modern names (but I am pretty sure Rav Chaim Kanievseky would not approve of this one....) Or Revital?

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:07 am
Also, Devorah was the nursemaid of Rivka. (always wondered why she is mentioned specifically)

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 1:52 pm
Okay, some of these are kind of reaching, but here's what I've got:

Emuna - Rivka Imenu showed emuna in deciding on the spot to go with Eliezer
Sarah - "she became Sarah his mother"
Ahuva - "Yitzchak took her into the tent...and loved her"
Nechama - "And Yitzchak was comforted after his mother."

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:36 pm
@eisheschayil and @penguin I am in awe of your suggestions!! I love the Aliza suggestion, and also revital. And ahuva. And I love the ideas for connections. I really wasn't thinking out of the box, but these are great. Thanks!!

animeme

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 4:26 pm
Raisin wrote:
Also, Devorah was the nursemaid of Rivka. (always wondered why she is mentioned specifically)

I also like Devorah. I was taught that Devorah was instrumental in Rivka being Rivka, because, like a bee, she went from place to place gathering different ways of being and doing than what Rivka saw at home and used them with her young charge.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 5:17 pm
My baby is rivka ahuva. Called by both names. Ahuva is beloved. Mabe ahuva because rivka is beloved to u.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 2:25 pm
Oh, I've got another one - Ruchama - even starts with the same letter - referring to Rivka's compassion for Eliezer and his camels.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 5:28 am
Meira or Ora - from the midrash that Sarah merited to have her Shabbos candles lit from one Shabbos to the next and that stopped when she died until Rivka came into her tent.

(Sorry. I'm having fun thinking outside the box.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names