Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do uniform prices vary?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:35 am
(and did you see what I did there?)

We need a very specific plaid jumper for DD's school uniform this coming year, IY"H. Have not succeeded in finding one used and we are even more financially strapped than usual at the moment.

School lists 4 stores that sell this particular uniform:
Engelic
Wiesner's
Freilich's
Peretz

I happen to know that one of them, I think Freilich, is $40 per jumper because they sent out a form during the last school year. I guess we need to do what we need to do, but are any of these other places less expensive?

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:37 am
Wiesner and Peretz are definitely cheaper. (at least with my school uniform....)

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:38 am
Also, how many jumpers and shirts do you suppose we need?
And where is the best (looking for inexpensive but on the other hand also not garbage that will fall apart within the year) place to get shirts? The shirts are just a plain solid color but need to be the button down kind, not polo style.
And now that she needs to wear these kinds of shirts, I guess she also needs undershirts, what do you put on little girls? I feel like such a dummy! But I never bothered with undershirts when she was wearing comfortable cotton kid clothes anyway.

And any tips on how to fit the jumpers? I know the $40 Freilich measures you and helps fit, but I have never seen anything like that happening at Wiesner. What's the magic length that won't make the kid look like a waif in too-big clothes but won't be outgrown as soon as you turn around either?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:43 am
At least 2 jumpers and 3 shirts. (I got more, but you can probably get away with this. ..) Measure her how you would measure clothing. I got long jumpers. I will lift them in September, and will let them down next year. She can definitely wear them for 2 years, I'm hoping even 3.

If Land's End sells your shirts , get them there when there is a 30 percent off code....quality can't be beat and they'll last. Cheap undershirts can be found at carters...childrens place etc

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:47 am
amother wrote:
At least 2 jumpers and 3 shirts. (I got more, but you can probably get away with this. ..) Measure her how you would measure clothing. I got long jumpers. I will lift them in September, and will let them down next year. She can definitely wear them for 2 years, I'm hoping even 3.

If Land's End sells your shirts , get them there when there is a 30 percent off code....quality can't be beat and they'll last. Cheap undershirts can be found at carters...childrens place etc

I second Lands End! They wash so nicely, and it's great quality as well. Probably cheaper than those uniform brands they suggest.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:51 am
Drat, I just missed a 30% off code PLUS I just placed a Land's End order for myself yesterday that qualified for free shipping. And golly, they're expensive - even with a code (currently is 20%) Probably better than Brooklyn, yes, but recall this is my first child in school age/uniforms and I am used to getting away with $2 Children's Place clearance shirts. Also, hand-me-downs which are impossible to find for this specific need (both size and plaid)

gande

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:55 am
Good luck I'm in the same boat! I got my dd one jumper in engelic . It has buttons on the shoulder so it can be easily adjusted as she grows. Wieners and Perez might be a few bucks cheaper but might not last as long. There should be a uniform gem arch in Bp. Maybe another imamother has their number.

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:57 am
Land's end constantly has coupons. ...schook starts in 6 weeks, I'm sure they'll have a 30 off til then.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:03 am
gande wrote:
Good luck I'm in the same boat! I got my dd one jumper in engelic . It has buttons on the shoulder so it can be easily adjusted as she grows. Wieners and Perez might be a few bucks cheaper but might not last as long. There should be a uniform gem arch in Bp. Maybe another imamother has their number.

Hm, the button concept is interesting. Also curious about above response saying she hems it up at the beginning - does that actually work without leaving a line or something? Because I have a couple of hand-me-downs that are too long. But I'm not sure if they're also too big on top... I don't have a great eye for these things and I don't want my kid to look like a ragamuffin because her mother is cheap and not so with-it. Especially because she's a little socially awkward, I want to make sure she at least looks her best.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
Hm, the button concept is interesting. Also curious about above response saying she hems it up at the beginning - does that actually work without leaving a line or something? Because I have a couple of hand-me-downs that are too long. But I'm not sure if they're also too big on top... I don't have a great eye for these things and I don't want my kid to look like a ragamuffin because her mother is cheap and not so with-it. Especially because she's a little socially awkward, I want to make sure she at least looks her best.

My jumpers are from Freilich and they are made to be lifted so you can get more use out of it. I don't hem it..you take the piece connecting the top of the jumper and the skirt part and lift/tuck that part. If it's just a bit large on top and not huge....that should solve the problem for the top as well.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
My jumpers are from Freilich and they are made to be lifted so you can get more use out of it. I don't hem it..you take the piece connecting the top of the jumper and the skirt part and lift/tuck that part. If it's just a bit large on top and not huge....that should solve the problem for the top as well.

Oh! That's interesting. What do you mean, they are "made to be lifted" - couldn't you lift and tuck any jumper? I really am not a seamstressy type so I have no idea. Please advise because I do have these two or three jumpers already sitting here that might be doable that way. I thought I was just going to have to put them away for maybe two years from now. Do you know someone who does this for dummies like me, who could advise whether the size/fit is going to be right or if I really need to buy new ones?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:15 am
No not all jumpers can be lifted from the middle. Depends how they are made. These jumpers are 2 separate pieces attached with a pieced of fabric in the middle which allows it to be adjusted . You can even take off the top part and you're left with a perfect skirt.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:24 am
Clue in the clueless please: If I have 3 gemach jumpers that are about 1-2 years too big and no idea where they came from, is there either a way I can figure this out or a person in Brooklyn I can take them to to figure it out for me?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:26 am
amother wrote:
Clue in the clueless please: If I have 3 gemach jumpers that are about 1-2 years too big and no idea where they came from, is there either a way I can figure this out or a person in Brooklyn I can take them to to figure it out for me?

Is there a company name inside?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:33 am
I heard that ABC Discount sells uniform shirts for $10 (Or less- can't remember exactly). Although I didn't buy them- didn't even know about them- the person who told me about them was satisfied with the quality. The uniform shirts I buy cost about $18. I can't imagine Land's End shirts would be as low as that, even with a 30% off coupon, unless it's from Overstocks, although the quality certainly can't compare. I find that the shirt buy don't last even a year- the cuffs and collars stain so quickly.

I buy my uniforms at Gold Laibel on 13th. I was much happier with the service there than at Fraylich's. And it's not so busy like Fraylich's. Maybe they carry your uniform, even if it's not on your school's list.

Cookie's carries uniforms for a bit cheaper. Personally, it wasn't worth the bother andalterations expense for me to fix it and make it tznius, but of you sew, maybe it would be worthwhile for you. Each uniform store carries its own style, and I wouldn't want my daughter to be the only student wearing Cookie's style.

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:38 am
Gold Label is 10$ more a jumper on my uniform.
Lands end came out almost 30 percent cheaper than Fraylich with my skirt when using the coupon. ( was basically the same price ro begin with...)
But I didn't like the skirt so I didn't get it in the end.

Last edited by cnc on Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:38 am
The labels say Betty Z but one looks different than the others. There appears to be a lot of fabric inside if that is meant by being made to adjust? I could take a pic but anyway I would need to bring them to someone to help me figure out the sizing and to actually do it because I don't have a sewing machine, much less the skill to use one. So if anyone knows someone who knows how to do this stuff and would have a reasonable fee, I'd appreciate a lead.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
The labels say Betty Z but one looks different than the others. There appears to be a lot of fabric inside if that is meant by being made to adjust? I could take a pic but anyway I would need to bring them to someone to help me figure out the sizing and to actually do it because I don't have a sewing machine, much less the skill to use one. So if anyone knows someone who knows how to do this stuff and would have a reasonable fee, I'd appreciate a lead.

BETTYZ is Fraylich. If it has a lot of fabric inside then it was adjusted. Takenit to any dressmaker. HENRY on 13 and 43.
Tamara on 13 and 44

bookie

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:45 am
amother wrote:

Most people that I know have three skirts and about five shirts, unless you do laundry very frequently I think you need more.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:45 am
Land's End seems to be about $25 per shirt full price, so if you have a 30% code and free shipping (which is easy, that's like 3 shirts) it's $17.50 each plus tax. Definitely not Children's Place...

I HIGHLY doubt that anyplace else would have these uniforms (jumpers) and in fact I'm surprised these stores are still carrying them when this is the only school in the universe as far as I know that requires this particular plaid, and it's not a large school either.

What and where is ABC discount? At $10 a shirt I could probably deal with lower quality! The shirt we need is a pretty common one but I'm not sure where we'll be in the future (no immediate plans but looking to move) so I don't know for sure I'll need them to last. And the kid will grow eventually IY"H.

Interesting note about each brand being a different style. The ONE we have that looks like it will just fit perfectly right off the hanger is an old one from French Toast (I don't think they make them anymore) and the lapels are a different design. The plaid also looks like a tiny shade darker. But I got it from the school's gemach so I guess it's officially approved. I'm a little worried that it will look funny but so far it is the only teeny-tiny specific-plaid jumper-only uniform I have seen anywhere!

Maybe if I water her more she will grow Wink
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics