Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Moving very soon - what advice can you share?
1  2  Next

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:37 am
I'm moving to a new community very soon and completely overwhelmed just thinking about the transition and the packing that still lies ahead. Any advice/tips learned from experience that could help make this smoother? Anything related to packing, unpacking, and the transition would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 12:09 pm
label boxes clearly and make sure fragile things are bubble-wrapped and securely packed. (I lost a very cool cookie jar because I didn't follow this advice.)

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 12:10 pm
Also if you think you might not remember if something is milchig/fleishig or still needs tovelling, etc.... write that on the box too!

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 12:13 pm
Oh sorry, I keep remembering things after I hit submit....

Use large items to pack smaller items. Such as, packing cutlery inside a hot water urn. Saves tons of space. I put knives inside mine, and it also protected everything else from the sharp items. Just make sure to empty it before you turn it on... DH forgot. It wasn't pretty. But assuming you remember, it's a great idea and very practical.

Smile1234

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 12:14 pm
Label boxes on more than one side with what the contents are and what room it belongs in.

Dont forget to eat AND DRINK on moving day- and plan before what you will eat so you don't finish the day and say hey im totally starving and have no food to eat...

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 12:22 pm
Pack by room so the movers can put the boxes directly in each room.

Clearly label all sides of the box, so no one is hunting for it.

Make sure to have a spare change of clothing for each family member (including pajamas) in a separate bag that you take with you, so that everyone can change for bed and the morning, even if everything else is packed away.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 12:22 pm
Use this opportunity to throw out or give away as much as possible.

Pack a box with essentials that you would need for one night for family. I once wound up sleeping on the floor with coats. If possible, take that box with you rather than leave it with the movers.

penguin

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 12:37 pm
Designate the top drawer of a dresser for some essential things you don't want to lose e.g. the masking tape and marker, your baby's favorite pacifier. (Of course important medications and jewelry would be in your purse, but in case you have more than fits in your purse!)

Then you won't have to go searching for the right box to find these items.

Also pack one box with everything you will need for Shabbos - knife, challah cover, kiddush cup, leichter, candles. You might not have packed these things together but this way, whatever you're up to in unpacking, you'll be able to find what you need for Shabbos.

Make sure you know where your kesubah is - your purse is probably a good place! I lost mine the first or second time we moved.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 12:40 pm
thank you so much! these are really valuable bits of advice.
Please keep them coming!

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 12:49 pm
Make lists! Number the boxes and write down what you packed in each box.

As soon as you get to your new home make everyone's beds. You'll be so happy not to have to do so at the end of the day when everyone is tired and cranky.

naomi1

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:03 pm
Make a list of each room and designate a color for each one. Put a label on each side of every box with the label colored to correspond with your list. That way when you move all you do is look at the color of the label and you know which room it goes into. I bought a package of sharpie markers in bjs with lots of markers. Write on each box what's inside the box. On moving day I made a box for each persons linen and wrote in bold letters on the outside thAt it was linen. I packed everything needed right away ( kids stuff, makeup, pjs, clothing for the next day...) in a suitcase. Also Make sure anything valueable is out of the house before the movers come. Hatzlacha I hope this helps you!

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:05 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Oh sorry, I keep remembering things after I hit submit....

Use large items to pack smaller items. Such as, packing cutlery inside a hot water urn. Saves tons of space. I put knives inside mine, and it also protected everything else from the sharp items. Just make sure to empty it before you turn it on... DH forgot. It wasn't pretty. But assuming you remember, it's a great idea and very practical.

Yes, on this note, I used kitchen towels for wrapping more fragile kitchen items.

ven

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:27 pm
Throw everything out u have not touched over a year . ( or sell it) . Purge purge purge !!

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:41 pm
we recently moved...
there are special boxes that you can put hanging clothing in. If you can get them- they are very helpful. we hired movers to pack us and they just wrapped up our dressers with our clothing inside-no unpacking necessary:)

if you have stuff that pple are supposed to come pick up after you leave, that you are taking in the car with you... anything that is not supposed to go with the movers make sure it is in a separate spot clearly marked.

its much easier to clean an empty house-see if you can hire someone to come clean the house/ apartment after you leave. have a friend., neighbor, family member be in charge of overseeing it for you- my SIL had her cleaning lady come and it was a real lifesaver.

have some liquid nourishment for yourself that you can drink while dealing with the movers- moving day is very busy! If someone can watch the kids that day for you you'll appreciate it Smile If you can go out to eat after the movers leave- like on your way to new place.

leave out your drill if you have one in order to take down your mezuzahs. the movers told my dh they had one so he packed his and then theirs died. we had to have our mezuzahs shipped to us.

Hatzlacha!

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 4:18 pm
I'm not sure you're allowed to remove your own mezuzas. AYLOR. We were told to have someone else do it.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 4:34 pm
You will likely find yourself with odds and ends after the movers leave. Plan for it.

Do not put anything in black garbage bags. BTDT and it didn't end well.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 5:33 pm
I recently moved and aside from the move itself, the moving company charged me over $800 for "moving materials". These included boxes, tape, and things used to wrap furniture when moving. Just be aware about this expense. Hatslacha!

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 5:37 pm
When I moved I was given an hourly rate. Since the move took all day, the movers would take very quick short breaks to eat. The moving company refused to take any hours off the job.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 5:38 pm
amother wrote:
When I moved I was given an hourly rate. Since the move took all day, the movers would take very quick short breaks to eat. The moving company refused to take any hours off the job.

The law is probably on their side. Do you not pay a cleaning lady for her lunch break?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 6:48 pm
Aside from physical packing/unpacking bit, make sure you take care of Change of Addresses for all important correspondences that comes in the post. Banks, credit cards, insurance, car registration, tax, schools, mortgage, brokerage, mobile phones, utilities, magazine subscription, utilities, supermarkets/shops, gyms, membership clubs, various loyalty schemes etc.

Maybe we're a bit of control freak, but on the day of the move, do not let movers crew pack more than 2 rooms at a time. That way, you and DH can each keep an eye on and supervise. Make a master list of boxes (numbered), what they contain and which room they go to.

Separate all important documents and valuables (including photos, wedding videos, diplomas).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics