Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do you name after someone or just pick a name?

boymom

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:12 pm
for some reason, I love the name Avishai. I think I love the meaning and the sound to it.
I don't know anyone named with this name, except for dovid hamelechs nephew Avishai ben tzeria.
If I ever have another boy, I would love to name this name, but do you think its weird for chassidish boy to have this name? (in case you're unaware, many chassidim name after grandparents or rebbes/rebbitzens. most don't pick names out of a box. expecially not israeli sounding names.)
which leads to another question- why is it such a strong inyan to name after pple? why don't we just choose a name we like?
also, what "type" of pple name this name?

Last edited by boymom on Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:36 pm
I know of one Avishai, a young child. I also love the name. They are an Israeli dati family but lived in NY. not chassidish type at all.

I do think it would stand out as odd in the chassidish community.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:58 pm
It's a beautiful name but it defintely would stand out in a chassidish community.

I have 2 kids, one is names after a great-grandparent whose name I happen to love and the other I chose the name. I'm not chassidish, btw.

gold21

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:05 pm
If you're concerned the name would stand out, maybe give it as a second name?

Lots of people mix and match- first name a name-after, second name chosen.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:14 pm
I know a couple of Avishais, both American with Israeli parents.
It's a beautiful name. You could nickname him Avi if you don't want it to stand out.

We name after parents and once those names are given we use any name we like.

boymom

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 12:28 am
well avishai can always be Shai for short, if he's unhappy with his name, it sounds like shaya. chassidim usually don't use avi either. I think its one of the few things I don't like about chassidus. I want to choose any name I like. I wiiiiiiiish. its my pet peeve. I want nesanel, basya (these 2 are acceptable names) but I love avigail and ayali and shiri (not very acceptable here)
with one child I sort of did that- no grandparents to name after, only great grandparents which we never knew, but most of my siblings name after them because theres no other choice. we ended up naming after a direct ancestor many generations before, because he was a very well know tzaddik and I liked the name.

anyway, I'll have to bribe dh with something huuuuge to let me do something so drastic as to name our future child that hasn't been conceived yet such an obscure name. I wonder if our rebbe would agree to such a name- he hardly tells people not to name the name they chose, (if he tells them no, then he has a really good reason for it) he usually just gives his brocho. but then how many Chassidim ask him about names like avishai that was chosen from their dreams????

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 1:00 am
What about Yeshaya, still got that beautiful shai sound without sounding not chassidish?

salt

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 1:39 am
It probably would stand out in chasidish circles, but no one could claim that it is a modern name. It's origin is from the Tanach as you say. So really, why is it different from Avraham, Yosef or David?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names