Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Movie that is appropriate for a Rov
1  2  3  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 12:05 pm
My mother just called me and asked for movie suggestions for my father who just had eye surgery and won't be able to see well close up, so he won't be able to learn or read for a few weeks.

My father is very bright with many interests. He likes sci-fi, but really anything that is an intelligent kind of movie without any scantily clad women would work. Bonus if my mom can rent it off amazon!

Thank you!

self-actualization

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 12:28 pm
12 Angry Men, from the 1950's. (Needs to be the old version). It was pretty interesting and I don't remember any women in it. Also, most of the movie is the dialogue so you don't need to see up close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Angry_Men_(1957_film)

Last edited by self-actualization on Wed, Jul 29 2015, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 12:28 pm
Doctor Who.....tv, not a movie, but it will last a while. Get netflix for the month- free for the first month

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 12:31 pm
Inside Hana's Suitcase.

little_mage

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 12:46 pm
I really liked both Eureka and Warehouse 13. They are sci-fi/fantasy tv show. I know both are avialble on amazon. Neither is overly racy, but there are probably at least a couple of scenes (over five seasons each) where someone who is really careful about it may need to avert their eyes.

ahuva06

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 12:49 pm
self-actualization wrote:
12 Angry Men, from the 1950's. (Needs to be the old version). It was pretty interesting and I don't remember any women in it. Also, most of the movie is the dialogue so you don't need to see up close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Angry_Men_(1957_film)

I second this suggestion. Especially for someone intelligent! It's a great movie that provokes thought and is super entertaining. There isn't a single woman in the whole movie Smile You can watch it on you tube!

STovah

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 12:52 pm
The Hunt for Red October is clean and very good.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 1:33 pm
Schindler's List, The Pianist and Life Is Beautiful - stories about Jews in WW II

Star Wars or 2001 - classic SciFi movies and really not much in the way of relations except for a few shots of Princess Leia. Very Happy

Other Academy Award nominees and winners of Best Pictures which deal with serious adult interests and are not s*exy - you can read the synopses at amazon to see if of interest.

Julia
Ordinary People
Chariots of Fire
Elephant Man
E.T. - kid's movie but charming Scifi
The Verdict
Tootsie
Some Like It Hot
The Right Stuff - deals with the early astronauts - great movie
The Last Emperor
Driving Miss Daisy - great story about the friendship between a Jewish woman in Atlanta and her driver in the 1950'
The Help
A Few Good Men - court martial drama
The Remains of Day
Downtown Abby - don't know if he would get into the soap opera of the doings in the English rich people and their servants
Apollo 13
A Beautiful Mind
The Pianist -
The Good German
Goodnight and Good Luck - excellent film about Edward R. Murrow and his stance during the McCarthy hearings in 1950
The Queen - about the Royal Family after the death of Diana - may not be of interest to him.
Very Happy
Lincoln - about Lincoln during the Civil War - very interesting portrayal
FIddler On The Roof
Judgment at Nuremberg
Bridge on The River Kwai

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Jul 29 2015, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

self-actualization

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 1:46 pm
Right off the bat I'll say that Annie Hall and Yentl are not appropriate for a Rov. (It's not so much the s-xuality per se, which both have some of, but also the hashkafos).

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 1:58 pm
self-actualization wrote:
Right off the bat I'll say that Annie Hall and Yentl are not appropriate for a Rov. (It's not so much the s-xuality per se, which both have some of, but also the hashkafos).

You're right about Yentl as I hadn't thought about the aspect of her bucking the system.

theotherone

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 2:00 pm
My first thought was also 12 angry men!

sky

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 2:44 pm
ushpezin?

fmt4

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 2:52 pm
Amarante wrote:
Schindler's List, The Pianist and Life Is Beautiful - stories about Jews in WW II

Star Wars or 2001 - classic SciFi movies and really not much in the way of relations except for a few shots of Princess Leia. Very Happy

Other Academy Award nominees and winners of Best Pictures which deal with serious adult interests and are not s*exy - you can read the synopses at amazon to see if of interest.

Julia
Annie Hall
Ordinary People
Chariots of Fire
Elephant Man
E.T. - kid's movie but charming Scifi
The Verdict
Tootsie
Some Like It Hot
The Right Stuff - deals with the early astronauts - great movie
The Last Emperor
Driving Miss Daisy - great story about the friendship between a Jewish woman in Atlanta and her driver in the 1950'
The Help
A Few Good Men - court martial drama
The Remains of Day
Downtown Abby - don't know if he would get into the soap opera of the doings in the English rich people and their servants
Apollo 13
A Beautiful Mind
The Pianist -
The Good German
Goodnight and Good Luck - excellent film about Edward R. Murrow and his stance during the McCarthy hearings in 1950
The Queen - about the Royal Family after the death of Diana - may not be of interest to him.
Very Happy
Lincoln - about Lincoln during the Civil War - very interesting portrayal
FIddler On The Roof
Yentl
Judgment at Nuremberg
Bridge on The River Kwai

Some like it hot? Are you joking? Marilyn Monroe is basically naked throughout the movie, and just the theme of the movie is totally inappropriate for many people. Ditto with Annie hall- all of woody Allen's movies have s-xual themes.

Exodus is a great movie, there is some kissing but nothing more than that. Citizen Kane is a classic as well.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 3:02 pm
fmt4 wrote:
Some like it hot? Are you joking? Marilyn Monroe is basically naked throughout the movie, and just the theme of the movie is totally inappropriate for many people. Ditto with Annie hall- all of woody Allen's movies have s-xual themes.

Exodus is a great movie, there is some kissing but nothing more than that. Citizen Kane is a classic as well.

I don't remember her being naked. It is from 1960 or so and really very innocent as I recall as it spoofing stuff. But I havent seen for a long time. Of course I am not trying to defend but it wasn't considered adult theme but more zany comedy. Based on scify interest, I extrapolated.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 3:03 pm
I have nothing against movies, but why not try other media? There are lots if things your father can listen to while resting his eyes - shiurim, audio books, podcasts, music, etc.

Chocomama

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 3:18 pm
What about the kings speech. I think that was the name of it. about a british king who stuttered and the speech therapist who helped him...

trixx

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 3:26 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I have nothing against movies, but why not try other media? There are lots if things your father can listen to while resting his eyes - shiurim, audio books, podcasts, music, etc.

Or documentaries
National. Geographic shows to learn about nature or science, as long as it's not something that would reference evolution or age of universe if problem

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 3:36 pm
For the real kosher stuff, you can buy Bechotros Kodshechu, it.s a dvd that comes out every few months with a collection of litvish and chassidish rabbis clips. You can buy all of them and they definitely have no women...

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 5:20 pm
trixx wrote:
Or documentaries
National. Geographic shows to learn about nature or science, as long as it's not something that would reference evolution or age of universe if problem

I second national geographic, they are fascinating, and educational. Check out the one on north korea, it's mind-boggling .

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:25 pm
He can watch frum videos/movies. Mekimi provides those free of charge. You can also rent most Greentech action films,which are all by frum actors and with frum themes, on www.jewishvideos.com
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics