Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Movie that is appropriate for a Rov
Previous  1  2  3  Next

fmt4

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 3:54 pm
Amarante wrote:
I don't remember her being naked. It is from 1960 or so and really very innocent as I recall as it spoofing stuff. But I havent seen for a long time. Of course I am not trying to defend but it wasn't considered adult theme but more zany comedy. Based on scify interest, I extrapolated.

You must not remember it very well. The entire movie is about seduction, and Marilyn is at her sexiest. There is also a lot of cross dressing and innuendo. It's hysterical and I love it but not appropriate for a Rav and has absolutely zero to do with sci-fi.

She wears this dress in the movie.

http://I.imgur.com/hTYrvx6.jpg

http://I.imgur.com/icwmM48.jpg

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 4:00 pm
Which type of ROV watches movies??? Unless it's to ban them for the public thereafter. shock

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 5:45 pm
self-actualization wrote:
12 Angry Men, from the 1950's. (Needs to be the old version). It was pretty interesting and I don't remember any women in it. Also, most of the movie is the dialogue so you don't need to see up close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Angry_Men_(1957_film)

Dh and I watched the remake from the 90s recently. There was one woman in the whole film- a fully dressed judge in the first scene. The rest is men talking. It was also excellent.

anon for this

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 5:55 pm
Not a movie, but if your father likes science fiction he might enjoy watching old episodes of The Twilight Zone.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:26 pm
yes whats this a rabbi watching movies?! I thought it was banned? I think its chutzpah. there are so many jewish stuff to listen to. I cant believe his wife would even download from amazon, I though internet was banned?! whats going on? there are so many torah shiurim on the phone and so many tape libraaries with speakers from rabbi avigdor miller. its frustrating to see all of this. I wouldnt even write a rabbi, I would be embarrassed to do that. hurting so many people. I wont even say he should be embarrassed of himself cause that is not my place but I hope he feeels guilty. cause its wrong. now I know why so many men dont listen to rabbanim cause they are hypocrites.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:33 pm
Im happy someone wrote what I didn't have the guts to.
If I had a hard day and wanted to watch something ,would your father say sure no problem? And I'm a lady.
Would your father ever tell someone that he watched these movies?
I'm so disgusted and feel so betrayed.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:35 pm
Won't watching stuff strain his post-surgical eyes? I second the audio idea. Or perhaps documentaries with voice-overs, where the visuals are secondary. There are so many on fascinating subjects.

joy613

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:36 pm
sourstix wrote:
yes whats this a rabbi watching movies?! I thought it was banned? I think its chutzpah. there are so many jewish stuff to listen to. I cant believe his wife would even download from amazon, I though internet was banned?! whats going on? there are so many torah shiurim on the phone and so many tape libraaries with speakers from rabbi avigdor miller. its frustrating to see all of this. I wouldnt even write a rabbi, I would be embarrassed to do that. hurting so many people. I wont even say he should be embarrassed of himself cause that is not my place but I hope he feeels guilty. cause its wrong. now I know why so many men dont listen to rabbanim cause they are hypocrites.

What are you talking about?

Why is he a hypocrite for wanting to watch something clean? And who banned them? He is obviously not a Rav who says watching clean movies (And only because he can't do much else with his eyes) is assur.

You need to calm down and think a little before putting down OP's father like that.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:38 pm
well if he is a rabbi, then I hope he isnt the rabbi I am imagining. he most probably is from modern orthodox and if not then yes he should be ashamed of himself. I have to say it. cause of the pain this is causing me. and countless of others. listen I have no problem watching stuff. but I dont claim being a rebetzin or rabbi. and not a daughter of one either.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:41 pm
and yes I mean the types of rabbis that ban this stuff. and those who banned them know it well and women here all know who I mean. so if he isnt that type then I apologize. it just looked very bad seeing a rov that wants to watch movies. and hameivin yavin.

happybeingamom

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 7:03 pm
Terrible to judge a man that only thing we know about him he is a Rav and he can't see well.

You don't know his hashkafas, how he paskened, you just want to say he is a hypocrite which you have no evidence of.

CatLady

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 7:06 pm
I hope your father has a speedy and complete recovery. Light entertainment will be just the thing to make him feel better.

I had eye surgery for strabismus when I was a kid and wasn't allowed to watch TV or read for a few weeks post-op. I was going crazy! I'd try to avoid movies that would tire his eyes, so anything in grainy B&W or poorly-lit might not be a good idea. In fact, maybe he can listen to some podcasts, like TED Talks, or books on tape as an alternative.

rosenbal

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 9:24 pm
Books on tape (cd) can really help pass a lot of time, especially good if his eyes need a rest. I've driven 4 and more hours in the car and it felt like a short trip when I've had something good to listen to.

Recommendations of good, clean, intelligent books?

pause

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 9:31 pm
Amarante wrote:
Schindler's List, The Pianist and Life Is Beautiful - stories about Jews in WW II

Star Wars or 2001 - classic SciFi movies and really not much in the way of relations except for a few shots of Princess Leia. Very Happy

Other Academy Award nominees and winners of Best Pictures which deal with serious adult interests and are not s*exy - you can read the synopses at amazon to see if of interest.

Julia
Ordinary People
Chariots of Fire
Elephant Man
E.T. - kid's movie but charming Scifi
The Verdict
Tootsie
Some Like It Hot
The Right Stuff - deals with the early astronauts - great movie
The Last Emperor
Driving Miss Daisy - great story about the friendship between a Jewish woman in Atlanta and her driver in the 1950'
The Help
A Few Good Men - court martial drama
The Remains of Day
Downtown Abby - don't know if he would get into the soap opera of the doings in the English rich people and their servants
Apollo 13
A Beautiful Mind
The Pianist -
The Good German
Goodnight and Good Luck - excellent film about Edward R. Murrow and his stance during the McCarthy hearings in 1950
The Queen - about the Royal Family after the death of Diana - may not be of interest to him.
Very Happy
Lincoln - about Lincoln during the Civil War - very interesting portrayal
FIddler On The Roof
Judgment at Nuremberg
Bridge on The River Kwai

Schindler's List has a few scenes that I wouldn't have wanted to see; I doubt a rav would want to see those.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 9:32 pm
Fiddler on the roof has women singing, in case that's an issue.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 9:44 pm
I also recommend getting books on cd. You should be able to check out for free at your local library. I've listened to some very interesting books that way ( mostly in the car). I really liked a biography about Benjamin Franklin that I listened to, so interesting. Also, I've listened to many famous classic novels this way. "Dracula" on book on tape was actually really great to listen too.

For movies, one of my favorites to this day is the " the adventures of Robin Hood" starring Errol Flynn (1930s or 40s). , a classic fun swashbuckling film, with a great sword fighting scene, all women fully clothed

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 10:25 pm
sourstix wrote:
well if he is a rabbi, then I hope he isnt the rabbi I am imagining. he most probably is from modern orthodox and if not then yes he should be ashamed of himself. I have to say it. cause of the pain this is causing me. and countless of others. listen I have no problem watching stuff. but I dont claim being a rebetzin or rabbi. and not a daughter of one either.

sourstix wrote:
and yes I mean the types of rabbis that ban this stuff. and those who banned them know it well and women here all know who I mean. so if he isnt that type then I apologize. it just looked very bad seeing a rov that wants to watch movies. and hameivin yavin.

I hope you realize that the rabbi you are imagining belongs to a very small subset of the Jewish population. Just because that's the only world you know, doesnt' make it mainstream. For the vast majority of us, no, internet is not banned, and no, there is nothing wrong with the occasional movie.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 10:55 pm
oliveoil wrote:
I hope you realize that the rabbi you are imagining belongs to a very small subset of the Jewish population. Just because that's the only world you know, doesnt' make it mainstream. For the vast majority of us, no, internet is not banned, and no, there is nothing wrong with the occasional movie.

Applause
Because liking this isn't enough!

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 1:18 am
sourstix wrote:
yes whats this a rabbi watching movies?! I thought it was banned?

It could invite a visit from the Malach Hamovies ...

Bruria

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 8:12 pm
There is a very interesting movie called "Footnote", it's about a father and a son that are both Talmud scholars and the differences that they share. It's very cool!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics