Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Ebay for dummies

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 9:47 am
How much does it cost to post items? Suppose my items dong get sold, do I still have to pay?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 5:46 pm
Bump. Anybody ever sold on E-Bay?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 5:54 pm
The Ebay community forum on selling should answer all your questions.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 6:04 pm
It's hard to answer your question because the listing cost varies depending on various options including whether you set a reserve price - pictures etc. If you go to EBAY, the fees are set out. Also, sometimes EBAY runs promotional with free or reduced listing prices.

When you sell, you pay a certain percentage of the sales price.

So there is a smallish fee to list (price depends on factors) and then a higher price if auction is successful.

Success on EBAY really depends on a lot of variables including whether you have a good reputation. It's hard for someone to get good prices if they are new because they have no reputation built up. You also need to research completed sales to find out exactly what prices things are really selling for and whether items sell. Depending on what you are selling, you have to take good pictures and write good descriptions.

Years and years ago, I used to sell a lot on EBAY but haven't done it for awhile. When I started, there weren't corporations and businesses doing it and it was just people. I sold lots of antique jewelry and tchotchkes that I picked up at flea markets/estate sales and did really well because I knew the marketplace so I had a pretty good idea of how much something might sell for. Now online seems to glutted with stuff so it doesn't seem worth it to me unless I was selling massive amounts of stuff and using some of the "power" tools that automate listings or I had very rare unusual items that I knew were in high demand by collectors.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 10:09 pm
Amarante wrote:
It's hard to answer your question because the listing cost varies depending on various options including whether you set a reserve price - pictures etc. If you go to EBAY, the fees are set out. Also, sometimes EBAY runs promotional with free or reduced listing prices.

When you sell, you pay a certain percentage of the sales price.

So there is a smallish fee to list (price depends on factors) and then a higher price if auction is successful.

Success on EBAY really depends on a lot of variables including whether you have a good reputation. It's hard for someone to get good prices if they are new because they have no reputation built up. You also need to research completed sales to find out exactly what prices things are really selling for and whether items sell. Depending on what you are selling, you have to take good pictures and write good descriptions.

Years and years ago, I used to sell a lot on EBAY but haven't done it for awhile. When I started, there weren't corporations and businesses doing it and it was just people. I sold lots of antique jewelry and tchotchkes that I picked up at flea markets/estate sales and did really well because I knew the marketplace so I had a pretty good idea of how much something might sell for. Now online seems to glutted with stuff so it doesn't seem worth it to me unless I was selling massive amounts of stuff and using some of the "power" tools that automate listings or I had very rare unusual items that I knew were in high demand by collectors.

Thanx for your response. Im not trying to go into business. I have some brand new, unused, unworn items that are past the return dates. I figured maybe I can try selling them and get back some of the money I overspent? Sort of like a yard sale but online. I dont want it to cost me to much money or it wont be worth it.
Any other site that I can try doing that?

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 5:25 am
Unworn children's clothing sells well.

There are other online sales places but nothing like EBAY unless you are selling specific stuff like very high end couture or books.

Perhaps there is a consignment shop in your area?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 6:48 am
You can try Buffalo Exchange, Beacons Closet, Crossroads. All these stores buy used clothing however you will get way under what they are worth. eBay is probably a better bet even if you pay a few dollars in fees.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 8:42 am
Thanx.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics