Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Plese help me - food for travels

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 2:43 am
We are leaving today for a trip for the week and need to have food for all week aside for things I can get if needed in a Walmart (we keep chalav yisrael and will be out in a non Frum area)
What can I pack so that my kids won't complain they are starving whole trip.
(We have coolers and small fridge in hotel)

So far
Cereal
Milk
Bread
Cream cheese
Yogurt
Pbj
Crackers

Supper (we bring a mini electric grill)
Chic cutlet
Hamburger/hotdog
Deli

Help what else and what kind of sides can I do with no real appliances besides a mini hot water kettle, a milchig sandwich maker and a fleishig mini grill same size?

What can I give them during day to keep them satiated?

I'll prob bring some fruit and vegie too.

I know this won't be enough... But my head is going blank!

mommy best

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 3:08 am
Noodle soup, individual apple sauce cups, cans corn, baby corn, baby carrots, Tuna.
you can make scrambled eggs in the sandsandwich make.

mommy best

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 3:08 am
Noodle soup, individual apple sauce cups, cans corn, baby corn, baby carrots, Tuna.
you can make scrambled eggs in the sandwich maker.

sitting

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 4:07 am
wraps are good as they stay fresh and xan easily be brought along as a mid morn snack with p butter. borekas a good snack can go in oven and be brought along. for sides u can do the cous cous u just pour whater over. dress up with sauteed veg if u like. also pre boil pasta and dress up for a cple meals (lunches out?) ex with tuna and pickles or veggies and cubed cheese.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 5:17 am
Sounds like you've gotten basics like mill, cheese, and meat items for suppers. The only thing I may add is frozen cooked pasta. You defrost and freshen up by pouring boiling water so keep it al dente. Maybe parve choc for after meaty meals? Otherwise you should be able to supplement with fresh fruits and vegetable sticks or salads. Bon voyage.

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 5:43 am
When we go camping, I plan every meal in advance, and then figure out what I will need to cook the food. Your trip menu, for example, might start like this: Day 1: Breakfast - cereal and milk. Need cereal, milk, bowls, spoons. Lunch, grilled cheese. Need bread, cheese, oil/butter/margarine and knife for spreading, sandwich maker, carrot sticks (or whole carrots, knife, peeler, cutting surface). Dinner - hot dogs, meat fork to remove from grill,rolls, pickles, chips, fruit, marshmallows, meat skewers for roasting them. Snacks: granola, chips, etc.

Don't forget to pack a can opener, maybe a sharp knife, and any other utensils you need.

Can you grill veggies? Corn on the cob?

Can you boil pasta or potato in the little hot water pot? If not, take a look for what else you can make by adding hot water -- instant oatmeal, mashed potato. Otherwise, you might want to consider buying or borrowing a small camp stove and some propane, then bring a pareve pot for boiling, pan for frying, and accompanying utensils. Or, seeing if the hotel has a suite with a microwave you can find a way to use (AYLOR).

Our policy is that nobody is going to suffer from having a less balanced diet for a week of vacation. So, if the kids eat more junk and less variety for one week, so be it.

Have fun!

GetReal

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 10:01 am
You can buy cereal, pbj and couscous at Walmart unless you only use heimishe brands.

imeinu

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 12:04 pm
Instant oatmeal

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 1:50 pm
U guys are awesome!!!!

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 7:20 pm
How do ppl do it? I have more food and cooking/papergood stuff with me than clothing suitcases! My hub was like what in heaven is going on here when he had to load the car.....
Thanks for all your advice or ideas!
Not sure how we gonna get all our stuff into hotel but hope we won't have a prob!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 7:43 pm
For sides you can make couscous instantly with hot water, 5 minute instant white rice, Ramen noodles. You can also bring precooked pasta in a ziploc bag for pasta salad the first night and some precooked baked potatoes for potato salad the second night.

Blue jay

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 11:04 pm
tuna packs instead of cans. less messy and no need for can opener.

juice boxes, for easy cleanup. I like apple and eves fruitables, keeps every one regular.

carrots sticks, cucumber slices, chopped in bag and kept in fridge when at hotel.

raisins and prunes

water bottles , keeps well in car and shlepp as needed.

hard boiled eggs

cheese sticks

loaves of bread

small mayo jar, for tuna salad.

special nosh for the kids that they normally dont eat year round. Keeps things fun Smile

Bring tea bags and coffee and unwind!

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:25 am
Bitachon101 wrote:
How do ppl do it? I have more food and cooking/papergood stuff with me than clothing suitcases! My hub was like what in heaven is going on here when he had to load the car.....
Thanks for all your advice or ideas!
Not sure how we gonna get all our stuff into hotel but hope we won't have a prob!

Why can't you buy most of the paper goods at WalMart?
Also, if you are bringing cereal, just being enough for the 1st day; then stock up at WalMart.

I'd prioritize items like meat and dairy products for packing, plus a few essentials for the trip/1st full day. The rest (grain products, fruit and vegetables, paper goods, etc.), I'd buy the first day or two of the trip. Assuming you eat foods with hecshers easily available in the US (I assume the travel is in the US?). I wouldn't shlepp tuna -- you can easily buy this anywhere.

Remember to take a few essential like microwaveable (if you have a microwave) containers, some real knives, a few serving utensils, etc. We often take along old stuff we don't mind leaving behind.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics