Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Health insurance from government

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 8:21 pm
I applied for Jersey care in January. We got a letter back stating that our child will be removed from Jersey care in the end of July because we are making about $1000 above povert level (crazy and not true). They gave me a chance to prove that I'm not making that amount but in the meantime I switched jobs in March and we are making around $8,000 over. We have expenses having me work (babysitter, cleaning help...) my husband is really upset that they didn't accept us the first time around because I have no way of proving that j make less. My husband want to forge my paystubs and I refuse. I'm scared to get into trouble with the government. My tax retunrs this past year is low because I wasn't making much in my past job. My alternative is to pay $166/ month and a $30 Co pay to see the dr for anything. What should I do? My husband refuses to pay for Healthcare and I don't want to do any trouble!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 8:25 pm
Do. Not. Play. Games.

You could both end up in jail c"v.

I work in representing people before government agencies, and let me tell you, they know how to find those playing games.

I know it's hard to manage on your own but be"h you will both work hard and Hashem will help.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 8:28 pm
NO! NO! NO!

Besides, $166 per month for health insurance is nothing.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 8:28 pm
I thought everyone can get Obamacare now. Not just below poverty level people.

Well, in any case, defrauding the gov't is illegal and immoral so I would not recommend that.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 8:34 pm
What you are proposing is illegal. Just say no.

sourstix

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 8:41 pm
what does it mean that your dh doesnt want to pay health insurance? does he pay other expenses? something doesnt smell good. what else doesnt he wantto pay? you say its for a child. how could he not? its his child. and this frauding govt. you better make a stop now. hes making you do fraud? I cant believe this! something is very wrong. please speak with a compitant person. that can support you not falling for this craziness. if you really cant get him to pay for health insureance then take this child to hospital for services. they cant refuse you

sourstix

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 8:49 pm
I am so sorry the father of your child doesnt want to take care of dc. it hurts but please be careful what you do. do not allow him to make you do fraud. if you are caught then you will pay imprisonment more then he. you will be the bad one cause hes forging your stubs. please dont bend into this craziness. dont let him make you feel bad, or guilty its his responsibility as a father to the child. can you say to him in a firm but nice way."honey I need to get health insurance for ----". dont even mention the pay stubs. dont argue with him. just say very firmly. " so when are you gonna take care of insurance?, I need to be sure I have doctor for ----" I need to know very soon so when dc gets sick I have a doctor. if he complains just listen, dont give in. he will see there is no way around it. I hope this helps you. hatzlacha. one thing is for sure dont give in. dont find excuses for him. he needs to manup.

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 9:34 pm
Sorry but that is outright fraud - it's criminal and immoral.

Not to make you feel bad but a cleaning lady is NOT a necessity just because you are working. Many working mothers do not have a cleaning woman. The amount paid to a cleaning lady can now be used to cover medical care for your child.

ROFL

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 10:00 pm
As an employer I have had government agencies call. To confirm current payroll. Please be straight. Everything is computerized now and you will be caught

nywife

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 10:07 pm
No. Don't do it.
My co-worker was put on a goverment health plan and unbeknownst to her the case worker had mistakenly omitted her husbands income. A year later they caught on and now she's dealing with a huge huge mess. Don't get started with it.

Side point- I used to work as a coder and it was astonishing to me to hear frum Jews suggest ways to downright lie about their coverage. "Can't you just move my appointment to a day when my insurance was active?" "Can't you just bill child A's claim under child B?".

Insurance fraud is theft. Plain and simple.

nylon

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 10:40 pm
No. You cannot do this.

Also, your post doesn't make sense.

If you are only $1K, even $8K, above poverty level, you no longer qualify for Medicaid but qualify for NJ's SCHIP program (NJ FamilyCare). If they are charging you $166 a month, you aren't $1K over poverty level: You are $8K over THREE AND HALF TIMES the poverty level.

http://www.njfamilycare.org/income.aspx

Either they made a mistake and you should still be in the subsidized bracket, or you can afford to pay $166 a month and your DH needs to learn you don't get something for nothing.

They WILL confirm income, they CAN confirm 1040s, and your DH is suggesting government fraud.

seeker

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 12:14 am
Just want to report that for all its faults, people like OP are exactly the demographic that Obamacare helps the most. It used to be a huge problem that once you made too much for medicaid (or local equivalent - jersey care et al) you were in trouble - your salary is $1000 too high but now your medical bills are more than $1000 higher so basically a total disincentive to work. Now with the new health care exchange people who are slightly above medicaid level get gradually decreasing levels of subsidies for health insurance making it once again worthwhile to work because you will end up taking home more than you lose.

Alas the costs are now outrageous for anyone who is above the top subsidy limit but that's a different kettle of fish, not OP's.

Basically a few years ago a post like this would still be wrong but at least you'd understand why the thought is crossing his mind. Now you no longer need to think that way.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 12:19 am
seeker wrote:
Basically a few years ago a post like this would still be wrong but at least you'd understand why the thought is crossing his mind. Now you no longer need to think that way.

No one ever needs to think that a crime is the best solution to a problem.

seeker

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 12:30 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
No one ever needs to think that a crime is the best solution to a problem.

Really, you can't see feeling so desperate that it seems like a good option? After all, in some places taking part of your pay in cash and neglecting to report it is so EASY. Of course it should never be done but that's not because I don't understand the temptation - it's because I consider myself above it.

nylon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 7:58 am
As someone with a special needs kid, I very much understand the temptation. It's terrifying to think of having a child and no health insurance.

But OP has options. Her DH just doesn't understand paying for health care. Welcome to America for most working adults and their families.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics