Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
What to do with FLAX SEEDS? also wheat germ?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:08 pm
I bought a box of milled fax seed (FS). I have a jar of wheat germ (WG) that I sprinkle on yogurt and use to replace some breadcrumbs or flour.

It says on the FS box that three tbsp FS can replace one tbsp oil. Also one tbsp FS plus 3 tbsp water can replace one egg. Will these substitutions work in all recipes?

Any other uses for FS or WG?

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:11 pm
I add it to home made granola bars, I have a cookie recipe that calls for a cup of it. You can use it instead of egg in some recipes.

chatz

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:15 pm
I've never tried flax seed meal as an egg substitute, but I do mix it into foods (kugels, for example)

recently, I've been enjoying this recipe:
http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/n.....ites/

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:24 pm
Flax seed - I add to yoghurt after freshly grinding them in a coffee grinder, as whole flax seeds are not really digestible (I do freshly ground because they go rancid and lose nutrients if not freshly ground), I use them ground with hot water instead of eggs sometimes, but I prefer eggs as they are better for protein.

Wheat germ I used to use, it was so useful, but after recent research I think its health benefits are questionable. Now we stay away from all wheat. I especially stay away from parts of grains, even if they are the most nutritious parts, as grains are best eaten whole - and whole grains have the germ and bran in! And if we do eat grains, I soak or sprout them before eating.

But, if you're okay with it, then you can use it instead of breadcrumbs, it's amazing!

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:26 pm
Burgany is correct. I buy ground from Bobs Red Mill and keep them in the freezer.

heidi

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:09 pm
I buy ground flax seeds and keep it in the fridge.
I have never heard of substituting it for eggs, but I am not a health food maven. I sprinkle some into things I make-- whole wheat challah, ground meat, bread crumbs. I have heard there are health and dietary benefits and figure it can't hurt.

samantha87

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
Flax seed - I add to yoghurt after freshly grinding them in a coffee grinder, as whole flax seeds are not really digestible (I do freshly ground because they go rancid and lose nutrients if not freshly ground), I use them ground with hot water instead of eggs sometimes, but I prefer eggs as they are better for protein.

So eating whole flax seeds isn't doing me any good? Also, do you have a dedicated grinder for the seeds, or do you grind other things in it too? I could imagine coffee residue on flax seeds leading to unwanted results.

amazingmommy

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:24 pm
I make heaven wheat germ thin breads, pm me for recipe

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:27 pm
Bran flax muffins are yummy and nutritious

pause

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:30 pm
Sprinkle on top of salads or fruit smoothies for an extra crunch.

amazingmommy

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:41 pm
Sprinkling wheat jerm on yogurt is also great!

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 11:15 pm
I just sprinkle ground flaxseeds on all kinds of things... it's supposed to be good for digestion and has omega-3 and it doesn't taste bad so why not. I sprinkle it in omelettes and salads, and put into smoothies.

Bruria

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 11:36 pm
You can mix flax seed meal in ground chicken or meat and make patties, it's yummy!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 11:46 pm
I love the taste of wheat germ. I'll often substitute it for bread crumbs, for lining casseroles and topping them or making oven baked chicken. It makes a great topping for steamed broccoli and other veggies, just toss it with a bit of butter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking