Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job offer but maternity leave during busiest season

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 3:11 pm
I have a job offer that I would like to take but I have a dilemma. They clearly spelled out the few times during the year that are their busy seasons where I would be expected to work more, delineating what that more would be. I am okay with what those additional hours are, but I think I am pregnant, and if so I would be due a week before the busiest season. Even if I were to work up until I give birth, I would still be missing out on the last few crucial days, unless I am overdue, which is of course unpredictable.

I'm thinking the best thing is to be upfront with them and tell them. I do think it is within their rights not to hire me based on that, because as such I probably won't be able to meet their expectations, which they have specified to me from the outset.

Of course that is really awkward though, to tell them this early-I didn't even miss my period yet. They are frum so it's not like it's normal in their circles to tell a potential employer who you've just met that you are pregnant. And we didn't tell anyone yet, likely won't for some time, so that's just weird to have told my boss before anyone else, family or anyone.

Or I could not say anything and wait until later and treat it as something that came up after my employment started.

What should I do?

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 3:24 pm
bump

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 3:30 pm
IMHO I would be honest but not very open. Something like I cant predict the future but what is your co's policy regarding maternity leave during those busy seasons? Don't mention that you think you "might" be right now.

Just because you "might" be pregnant now doesn't mean you are or that you'll be pregnant during the next busy season. If they are hiring a married frum woman, they should probably expect it. But you need to know that they cant hold it against you should they change their mind or be upset at you once the busy season comes up and you're obviously pregnant (if that happens, bezH)

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 3:37 pm
Thanks for responding. That's an idea, to ask them what their maternity policy for the busy season is in general, but I think that would be obvious that I'm pregnant, because for me to be due at that time I would have to be (early) pregnant already..but that's better than saying straight out. Thank you!

OOTforlife

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 3:39 pm
I would not say anything at all. You haven't even missed a period or (I assume) taken a test. You'd basically be telling them "My husband and I aren't using any BC at the moment."

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 3:42 pm
I agree that especially being frum, they must expect the possibility that an employee might become pregnant at any time, and not necessarily at the most convenient times. So I wouldn't stress about that.

I'd also not say anything yet, because you haven't even missed your period, and presumably haven't tested. If you end up with a rescinded offer, you might regret saying anything-- especially if it ends up that you were not pregnant. That said, if you are pregnant, I would still tell them fairly early on (very likely before the 3 month mark) after you have proven yourself as an excellent employee. I would mention that as inopportune as it is for the company, you learned of the pregnancy shortly after you accepted the job offer (truth) and are letting them know early in the process so that you can work with them to plan accordingly.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 3:59 pm
The problem is that I already tested Very Happy First DH thought it was just one line and I'm pretty sure there was a second extremely faint line, and then he thought so too. So I'm not TOTALLY sure but I think I am, and because of some other factors as well...waiting a bit more to test again.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:
The problem is that I already tested Very Happy First DH thought it was just one line and I'm pretty sure there was a second extremely faint line, and then he thought so too. So I'm not TOTALLY sure but I think I am, and because of some other factors as well...waiting a bit more to test again.

OK so you're not TOTALLY sure Smile That still doesn't change my response. And even though we never want to think about these things, a lot can happen in early pregnancy. Especially with early testing. IYH the line will grow stronger and you will have a healthy pregnancy and baby. But you didn't interview under false pretenses, and even though you see a faint line, you're not TOTALLY sure so you wouldn't be accepting under false pretenses.

If you inquire about maternity leave specifically, that might raise some concerns-- unless there is a dedicated HR department that operates completely separately from the hiring committee. I would, however, request to review the annual leave/sick/vacation/leave of absence policy before making a final decision. I think that's a normal request. And then clarify anything from there.

heidi

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 4:14 pm
I wish you all the best, and if this is a pregnancy that it be healthy and full term.
But you are basing a lot on one extremely faint line and some other factors.
If it is a frum company they are probably going to assume that you're not going to plan your pregnancies around their busy season.
Even if you start tomorrow it will be a good four months before you need to tell anyone anything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics