Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
ChS lakewood

mommy43

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 1:19 am
I want to start working this year I have a 21/2 year old and a 1 year old home with me so I would need to put them into a play group. does anyone know how chs works and what you need to be approved. also if I don't end up getting a job can my kids still get chs approved?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 2:57 am
There are certain guidelines and if you fit those guidelines then you can qualify.

A person has to be in a certain income bracket and they must be working thirty hours or more a week. I know people that have someone claim they work for them just to get chs.

Keep in mind that chs rules and regulations for the caregivers are very lenient and even though I qualify for chs I chose not to send my child to such a place because as of yet I have not found a place that I approve of. Most people that send to these day cares are happy with the fact that it's free so they don't care if it's clean or not. One example, the place does not clean a high chair tray in between use of children so if child before is sick the next child will catch his germs. The teacher to child ratio is very high.

You can call any place that accepts chs and they will help you along with the process.

The best way to find out about these places are to speak to people that work there. Many parents have no clue what goes on there during the day.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 9:39 am
I believe you have to work a minimum number of hours to qualify.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 9:53 am
amother wrote:
Keep in mind that chs rules and regulations for the caregivers are very lenient and even though I qualify for chs I chose not to send my child to such a place because as of yet I have not found a place that I approve of. Most people that send to these day cares are happy with the fact that it's free so they don't care if it's clean or not. One example, the place does not clean a high chair tray in between use of children so if child before is sick the next child will catch his germs. The teacher to child ratio is very high.

I don't have any children in daycare and when I did there really weren't many chs approved places. But, I always thought the rules for CHS daycares are pretty strict and that's why some people who don't qualify choose those places anyhow. The other daycares in Lakewood seem to have no rules at all. Someone who works in a daycare that's not chs, was recently telling me how many [b]babies
she watches by herself at one time, I don't remember the exact number, but it was a lot.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 12:15 pm
amother wrote:
A person has to be in a certain income bracket and they must be working thirty hours or more a week. I know people that have someone claim they work for them just to get chs.

Ew.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 12:56 pm
my sister-in-law who is eligible for CHS said it is hard to find a place because it has to be licensed and student to teacher ratio is much better then non-CHS places, especially with the newborns.

There is still a "co-pay" I believe on CHS. I thought my sister-in-law who uses it still pays about $200 per kids, her children go until almost full time due to her hours so she still saves a lot, and the place is licensed which is a huge plus.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 1:22 pm
The co-pay probably depends on your income (similar to NJ Cares)

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 1:44 pm
For me chs would have been free. The ratio for newborn is a little better but for the older ages it is like twenty kids to one teacher I don't remember maybe 15. The thing is cleanliness in these places are terrible there are no rules for that and obviously in a regular playgroup there are no rules but that's why as a mother it is your job to research where you send your child to and to make sure that the place is a good, clean place even without regulations.

With chs because people aren't paying for it they don't care if it's not up to their standards because when you don't pay no one listens to you.

And there are many terrible playgroups in Lakewood but there are a lot of amazing places that are responsible and organized and clean and well staffed but you have to do your research to find such a place.

Speak to someone who worked for a chs place and see how dirty these places are.

Also there are so many Chs approved places because everyone in Lakewood is getting in chs because it's free.

Every week I see a new advertisement for a new place opening up.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 8:41 pm
That is not true. Licensed child care centers in new Jersey must have a staff to child ratio of 1 to 4 including supervising staff for under 18 months and 1 to 6 from 18 months to 2 1/2 years and 1 to 10 from 2 1/2 to 4 years and 1 to 12 for 4 years. Google nj ccc manual and look at pages 21 to 24.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 11:04 pm
Dunno I called two places and asked about their four year old group and there was one teacher for fifteen kids. Maybe they have an assistant that goes between two classrooms.

But as I said the ratio is not what is most important. Cleanliness is also and there are no rules that classrooms should be cleaned every day and high chair trays should be cleaned between each baby. That's also important. You don't want your kid getting sick because the high chair tray wasn't cleaned and floors weren't washed for two days and the baby is a crawling baby.

The problem with chs places is that they only do what they have to and that's it.

But it's free so most parents don't care.

I would rather pay and send my child to a warm loving Morah who I researched and trust.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 11:09 pm
My son is going to a place next year he will iyh be 2 yr old then. Ratio is 1 morah and 1 assistant to 12 kids. Place is immaculate. The babies group has 5 babies to 1 morah.....so 10 in a room with 2 morahs....don't know why every one is saying only bad.....

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 11:16 pm
There are many more new places places opening up so it could be with competition it will improve usually competition does that. But I researched this in December and I was not happy with what I found.

And how do you know the place is immaculate. I spoke to teachers that work there not the owners. Do you really know what goes on in the classroom when You are not there. Teachers are hired so they don't care as much as a private Morah where her name means everything.

It doesn't really matter because whoever doesn't want to pay for child care will still send to chs places. But it's good for parents to make informed decisions. And someone who is paying privately won't send to chs because their prices are inflated because it's free so why not charge government more money.

wazup

Post Mon, Oct 19 2015, 3:44 pm
can anyone give me some places they are know are good? I just got on to CHS- my daughter is 7 months. I have no idea where to start. can anyone tell me who they use and what the number is?

wazup

Post Tue, Oct 20 2015, 1:11 pm
bump
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics