Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Arlington area in Lakewood

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 11:58 am
Can anyone tell me about the Arlington area in Lakewood?
Which Mikvah would ppl go to on shabbos? What sort of people live there? How yeshivish? Which schools do they send to? What ages? How much do basement rent for? Thank you!

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 2:45 pm
Bump

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 3:45 pm
I guess I'll bite.

I have no idea which Friday night mikvah they would use, but I'm sure there must be in the neighborhood.

Mostly yeshivish people live there, with some not yeshivish (and a very few heimish/chassidish).

They send to just about every school in Lakewood. Not sure what this question means.

Rent is not cheap because the neighborhood is in high demand.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 4:15 pm
Thank you for biting.
Why would non yeshivish people live in a place with mostly yeshivish? I guess I would be considered non yeshivish by Lakewood standards. How out of place would I feel?
I specifically don't want to live in a place with a "rebellious" non yeshivish rap, because I'd rather be less frum than my neighbors and grow than be more frum and get pulled down by my neighbors.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 4:19 pm
Arlington (which streets are you looking at?

Friday night Mikva is either in Forest Park or Washington Square (pick which is closer to you)

There are a lot of men who are working but they are Yeshivish for the most part.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 7:33 pm
I think there is a higher standard of living there - like kids are dressed beautifully, fancy carriages, nicer cars, etc. It is a pressure for some who feel they must keep up this the Jones. More like NY then typical Lakewood (but not as much pressure as NY)
I think its a nice crowd.

I heard Washington Square does not let people who don't live in th3 building because of insurance - but it could be that is old and no longer true.

imalady

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 8:26 pm
Arlington is a nice mixed area that you can enjoy.

If you are worried about rebellious, this isn't a problem there. If you are worried about not being yeshivish enough, don't worry about those things. You sound like you are middle of the road. That works.

The mikvah question can be asked to the local Rav

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 8:34 pm
First of all the mikva is Forest Park.
As far as types, each block in the neighborhood is different. Most are simple and mixed. Which block are you looking into?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 9:04 pm
Funny, one poster said it's simple while another said its fancier.
Let me explain what I mean by yeshivish or not:
We have Internet, occasionally (very occasionally!) will watch a movie, we'll watch clean YouTube clips (such as "how to make a bed" etc), we don't keep cholov Yisroel (although that may change once we move to Lakewood), I wear bright colored nail polish and will run around town in a t shirt, long denim skirt and big, colorful sneakers (I am a gym rat). Oh- and on many days, I can't be bothered to wear a wig, I'll wear a scarf or snood around town.
Can I fit into this place?
And as you probably guessed, my personality is pretty chilled - I don't care how others dress their kids. Convenience is all that matters to me. I won't spend hours trying to find matching outfits no matter what anyone else does.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 10:38 pm
I don't think that you won't fit in, but you may just feel more comfortable in other neighborhoods where the majority of people are more similar to you. Arlington is not the most yeshivish of neighborhoods but there are neighborhoods that are more chilled.
Maybe others from different neighborhoods can chime in with suggestions.
But if you do land up in Arlington, don't worry, we are nice and accepting people!!

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 11:31 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think that you won't fit in, but you may just feel more comfortable in other neighborhoods where the majority of people are more similar to you. Arlington is not the most yeshivish of neighborhoods but there are neighborhoods that are more chilled.
Maybe others from different neighborhoods can chime in with suggestions.
But if you do land up in Arlington, don't worry, we are nice and accepting people!!

So you live there, and in your opinion it shouldn't be my first option?
Would you let your kids play with mine? That's my biggest question and concern.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 12:11 am
Yes I live in the Arlington area and I would definitely let my kids play with yours. The question is if you're comfortable living with people more Yeshivish than you (not extreme) or if you will have a complex and be uncomfortable with yourself. There is a mix but again it depends which specific block and if you'd prefer a neighborhood more similar to yourself.
Good luck

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 6:22 am
amother wrote:
Yes I live in the Arlington area and I would definitely let my kids play with yours. The question is if you're comfortable living with people more Yeshivish than you (not extreme) or if you will have a complex and be uncomfortable with yourself. There is a mix but again it depends which specific block and if you'd prefer a neighborhood more similar to yourself.
Good luck

Well now I live in a ace where everyone is well less yeshivish (not at all yeshivish). I am the only one who covers my hair entirely with a wig (no pushing it back when wearing a fall or wearing a snood half off my head... I wear stockings when I wear short skirts... I cover my neckline and knees...) and I feel very grumpy and frummy. Maybe the other way around will be a nice change...
Thing is, in areas that are more like us, there's a lot of mixed couple things going on, which we don't like. (Dh is very outgoing so we both don't like it when he is in a situation in which he will end up over-shmoozing with another woman and causing me to feel bad. Where we live now, we are the only couple who doesn't eat out/ invite young couples.)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 6:41 am
Do you have children? If yes where are you sending them to school? Also is there a particular house you're looking into or just the general neighborhood? I can try to tell you about the immediate neighbors, which is what matters most.
Are you renting or buying? What Shul would your husband daven in? Have you tried it out? Maybe spend a weekend in the neighborhood to see for yourself.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 7:53 am
amother wrote:
Do you have children? If yes where are you sending them to school? Also is there a particular house you're looking into or just the general neighborhood? I can try to tell you about the immediate neighbors, which is what matters most.
Are you renting or buying? What Shul would your husband daven in? Have you tried it out? Maybe spend a weekend in the neighborhood to see for yourself.

What's the John street area like? And what about the block immediately after that ?
Thinking about renting or buying.
Don't know anyone to spend the weekend at.
Shul on shabbos- I don't know where my husband would want to daven, I think he's going to find out some info
And right now my kids are pretty young- oldest wouldn't even be in a school yet. (We have pull for next year though. Please Don't tell me about how crazy the situation is- I know how hard it is to get into school.)
Thanks, you have been really helpful!!

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:21 pm
Hi I live in the area don't think its for you honestly I think your best bet is chestnut, raintree, jackson.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 10:13 pm
amother wrote:
Hi I live in the area don't think its for you honestly I think your best bet is chestnut, raintree, jackson.

Thanks for your honesty. None of those are options for various reasons.
What is the Lincoln area like?

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 12:36 pm
Lincoln, Arlington, John St are all part of the same neighborhood surrounding Martin Lither King Dr.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 12:54 pm
Just to let u know..alot more blacks moved into the area. A bunch of apartments were empty for a while and were renovated recently. The new owner put in lowlifes. Alot of pple had items stolen from them. I feel like parts of the neighborhood got more scary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating