Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
I want to be a therapist!
1  2  Next

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:00 am
Then I'd be rich and able to treat you all to ice cream. Heck, I'd have my own ice cream parlor with servants and everything.

How can people afford therapy???

$180 for 50 minutes? Seriously??

Do you think I have a tree in my back yard that grows money?

Grrrr

youngishbear

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:02 am
Lol JMM.

Don't doctors make even more money? Or stockbrokers, sometimes?

I don't think anyone getting paid this amount for their time can ever be filthy rich.

ahuva06

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:03 am
Also then you won't have any of your own problems! That's why I wanna be a shrink Wink
(yes, I am just kidding!)

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:09 am
youngishbear wrote:
Lol JMM.

Don't doctors make even more money? Or stockbrokers, sometimes?

I don't think anyone getting paid this amount for their time can ever be filthy rich.

Yuh huh, they totally can.

Think of $180 X 6 (or more) each day! (or at least five days a week)

cnc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:12 am
JMM-uc wrote:
Yuh huh, they totally can.

Think of $180 X 6 (or more) each day! (or at least five days a week)

Think of all their student loans.
Also you need to be a really good therapist to have that full of a schedule.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:15 am
cnc wrote:
Think of all their student loans.
Also you need to be a really good therapist to have that full of a schedule.

This.

I did the math. It's 270,000 or thereabouts a year. Nice, but not filthy.

ETA: but yeah, you'd afford ice cream for us all.. . LOL

cnc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:16 am
youngishbear wrote:
This.

270k a year is way above an average therapist's salary. (Based on research in my specific community at least)

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:18 am
youngishbear wrote:
This.

ETA: but yeah, you'd afford ice cream for us all.. . LOL

Not filthy but pretty dirty.

And a lot charge more than that and have a fuller schedule.

What does it take to be a good therapist? They mostly just listen (but that's for a different thread)

Talya

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:20 am
cnc wrote:
270k a year is way above an average therapist's salary. (Based on research in my specific community at least)

If they are in private practice they can charge what they want and if they specialize they can charge even more. Their loans aren't near as much as a doctor.

cnc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:23 am
Therapy is not a lucrative business if you take the amount of schooling and hours involved to get licensed into account.
I specifically did not go into it for this reason.

I personally think that most therapists don't go into it for the money-similar to teaching. I can be wrong, this has been my experience .

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:25 am
And keep in mind that the govt will take away a large chunk of that change. Far from filthy rich. More like "can get by nicely". Still, it's a lot more than I'm earning at present and it's nice to be able to set your own hours. Not a bad career.

cnc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:26 am
Talya wrote:
If they are in private practice they can charge what they want and if they specialize they can charge even more. Their loans aren't near as much as a doctor.

Absolutely. I think that most therapists in private practices get clients thru word of mouth and referral agencies. They will only get a very full caseload if they're a good therapist.
The couple of top top therapists here have PhDs. (Which can mean nice sizes student loans .) They're 250 a session and they are definitely possible to get an appt with, meaning that their schedule is not jam packed.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:27 am
I got a name of a therapist that specializes in what I'm struggling with, his name is Michael Portman and he came highly recommended.

I was excited and hopeful. Called him up and guess how much he charges?

$210 (!!) and of course no sliding scale.

I think those people are thieves

cnc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:29 am
JMM-uc wrote:
I got a name of a therapist that specializes in what I'm struggling with, his name is Michael Portman and he came highly recommended.

I was excited and hopeful. Called him up
and guess how much he charges?

$210 (!!) and of course no sliding scale.

I think those people are thieves

I know I shouldn't compare apples and oranges, but I was reading the tutoring thread and the tutors seem more like thieves to me than the therapists! There are tutors that charge $100 and hour without any schooling!

blossoming

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:48 am
The most expensive 3D therapist charges $80 per session. And it's not chit chat - getting knowhere type of thing. And she doesn't shoe you out the door when the hour is up.

The best part of this therapy are the INSTANT RESULTS!

JMM - perhaps its time to give it a try?

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:54 am
What's 3D therapy?

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 12:01 pm
blossoming wrote:
The most expensive 3D therapist charges $80 per session. And it's not chit chat - getting knowhere type of thing. And she doesn't shoe you out the door when the hour is up.

The best part of this therapy are the INSTANT RESULTS!

JMM - perhaps its time to give it a try?

A member here(thanks trixx!) introduced me to innate health therapy, so I'm trying to do that now.

It's free because you don't need a therapist

sourstix

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 12:07 pm
whats 3d therapy?

healthywoman

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 12:33 pm
you seem ill formed so how about I tell you the reality of the situation.

Getting your masters is costly! varies depending on where you went to get your education. The least being about 50K. these are unsubsidized loans which means that interest accrues while you are in school, and capatilizes (interest, and interest on the interest) after 6 months of finishing school. When you finish school you need to wait around a month to 1.5 month to get licensing. that in itself is about around $600, assuming you passed. starting salary in a clinic is bubkes- 27k-35k if you're lucky! if you get into a hospital possibly about 45 or higher, but if you asked me most people want to be a therapist to do counseling, not find pple shelter, and food stamps. If you're unlucky and don't find a job in 6 months well, you're a little screwed unless you have some other form of income.

It takes another 3 years of working in a clinical setting, another test and fee to pass, until you can open your own clinic. when you do so, people aren't lined up at your door. it is a process over time and possibly years. most people have to work at a reg job and try to build their practice. the only time they actually make decent money is down the road some years when they have fully built up their practice and have enough clients who are willing to pay.

Trust me, most people arent going in to therapy so that 10 years down the line they can maybe make it rich if theyre good. there are simpler ways to make money, win the lottery, be a nurse- that only takes 2 years makes about 70k and loans are subsidized in school. The
Pt im making here is that your logic is waaayyyy off. hopefully this gets you back on the right track.

additionally, therapist have to renew their license every 2 or 3 years, depending where u live, which also cost money, and you have to take more credits, again more money spent, and if you asked any therapist why they became one, their answer is most definitely not "to make money", it is probably "to help people".

samantha87

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:10 pm
And just to add, it really depends on the therapists level of education and reputation. There are MSWs taking insurance who get $60/hour, hardly rich territory, and there are psychiatrists (MDs) who get $350/hour. IME, more expensive does not equal better.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics