Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
I want to be a therapist!
Previous  1  2

leah233

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:14 pm
healthywoman wrote:
you seem ill formed so how about I tell you the reality of the situation.

and if you asked any therapist why they became one, their answer is most definitely not "to make money", it is probably "to help people".

Therapy is from the few businesses that those in it claim to be doing so altruistically.I think that is what a big part of the resentment of their prices stem from.Frankly I very much dislike it when I hear therapists, who are getting paid a lot more then I am, talking about what great Tzidknios and how altruistic they are.

anotherima

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:25 pm
Doesn't insurance pay for therapy?

Stars

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:28 pm
anotherima wrote:
Doesn't insurance pay for therapy?

Nooooooooooooo

chaiz

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:29 pm
cnc wrote:

The couple of top top therapists here have PhDs. (Which can mean nice sizes student loans .)

PHD candidates.generally do not pay student loans and many get stipends.

healthywoman

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 3:46 pm
@chaiz, depends on the field but I believe phd candidates in psychology do pay. they're not getting a free ride. and do you know what a stipend means? that's 25k a year, even if that were correct, which it isnt, would you like living on 25K a year? I dont think so!
@leah233 I dn which therapist youve been speaking to but in general it is altruistic to some degree.
@anotherima, some therapists accept insurance and some don't.

Bruria

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 4:59 pm
Not all PhD's in clinical psychology give stipends. Some do, some don't, some offer 1 or 2 students fellowships , while the others still have to pay a vast amount.
Difference is that an MD who took loans knows for sure that he/she will have a nice salary after they graduate, while psych students, even with a Phd, often do not.

daisy dukes

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 5:07 pm
healthywoman wrote:
@chaiz, depends on the field but I believe phd candidates in psychology do pay. they're not getting a free ride. and do you know what a stipend means? that's 25k a year, even if that were correct, which it isnt, would you like living on 25K a year? I dont think so!
@leah233 I dn which therapist youve been speaking to but in general it is altruistic to some degree.
@anotherima, some therapists accept insurance and some don't.

You can get a fully funded Ph.D. in clinical psychology but it is very competitive so you have to have very a high gpa, lots of research experience, high gre scores, excellent letters of recommendation etc to even be considered.
You can also get a Psy.D but you will have to pay for it and it is very expensive. The plus side is that it is easier to get into a program and does not focus on research that a Ph.D. focuses on.
However, if you have a Ph.D. and you become a professor, you will make more money than someone who teaches and has a Psy.D. since a Ph.D. professor usually does lots of research for the school as well.
If you are counseling/doing therapy, then a Psy.D can charge the same amount of money as someone with a Ph.D. In fact, a LCSW can charge the same amount as someone with a Ph.D./Psy.D.
Ultimately, it matters more if the therapist has the experience, tools, and technique needed to help clients. So even if someone charges less money and/or is a lcsw, they can still be better than someone who charges more money and is a Dr.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 6:52 pm
samantha87 wrote:
And just to add, it really depends on the therapists level of education and reputation. There are MSWs taking insurance who get $60/hour, hardly rich territory, and there are psychiatrists (MDs) who get $350/hour. IME, more expensive does not equal better.

You don't see a psychiatrist weekly!

cnc

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 7:05 pm
JMM-uc wrote:
You don't see a psychiatrist weekly!

I know people that do. They see both a psychiatrist and therapist weekly. (Not sure if this a very long term setup. )

smile22

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:34 pm
jmm, did you try a clinic? you can pay a sliding scale fee or they can take your insurance

JMM-uc

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 3:45 am
samantha87 wrote:
And just to add, it really depends on the therapists level of education and reputation. There are MSWs taking insurance who get $60/hour, hardly rich territory, and there are psychiatrists (MDs) who get $350/hour. IME, more expensive does not equal better.

Just had to add that $350 an hour is INSANE!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics