Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Lakewood question

sourstix

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 12:59 pm
does anyone know where I can get english books for cheap in lakewood? think like kindergarten level obviously in our circles we do it in first grade. something that has 3 letter words. something like dr suess. I dont want to spend a lot. I would even buy used. is there some thriftshop you could tellme. I know the flee market but its only unpredictable stuff. I need to get books for dc.

sourstix

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 1:00 pm
btw can you tell me what hrs the flee market is open?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 1:11 pm
Depends what you mean by cheap. I've found some good books in the Marshalls by Brick Plaza.

I've never been to the fleamarket, believe it or not. One of these days.....so no clue as to the hours.

5mom

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 1:35 pm
Have you checked if the local library has a book sale? That's a great way to get quality kids' books at low prices.
Booksalefinder.com has lists of library book sales organized by state.

kollel wife

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 1:39 pm
I would try ebay or amazon for used books.

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 1:44 pm
The library would be a good place to start. I like the Jackson or Brick branches better than the Lakewood one.

Target has some books, a small selection are $2.99 - 3.99.

I have also ordered used books from amazon.

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 1:45 pm
(Also the flea market is open Friday mornings, I pass by and see cars lined up outside. I think they open very early - like 6 AM)

studying_torah

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 1:49 pm
Amazing savings has very cute kids books.
The library in toms river is amazing , but it's a bit more of a shlep.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 1:51 pm
Sunday 6:00AM- 2:00PM

The earlier the better. We always have a good time there. Lots to look at.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:10 pm
sky wrote:
Sunday 6:00AM- 2:00PM

The earlier the better. We always have a good time there. Lots to look at.

this. And we almost always find books. Sometimes 25 cents apiece, sometimes more. But always much cheaper than a store.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 3:22 pm
Reach Parenting Library has reading books to borrow. I believe they have pre-reading and level 1.
They are probably closed for bein hazmanim, you can probably try after.

sourstix

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 7:35 pm
I would love to know what reach parenting library is? is that jewish or not? never heard of it. thanks a million everyone!

sourstix

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 7:36 pm
oh I see its jewish. sorry. do you know what the number is? like to call before I go.

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:34 pm
You have to call before you go, it's in someone's house. 367-4416

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 10:04 am
Its a free Jewish Library with mainly parenting books (Jewish and not Jewish, but all reviewed for being appropriate). They also have some pre-readers for new readers.
I image in it is closed during bein hazmanim. It is in someone's house so you have to call before going. She is very good to advise on what books are appropriate (regarding the parenting books).

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 10:10 am
amother wrote:
Its a free Jewish Library with mainly parenting books (Jewish and not Jewish, but all reviewed for being appropriate). They also have some pre-readers for new readers.
I image in it is closed during bein hazmanim. It is in someone's house so you have to call before going. She is very good to advise on what books are appropriate (regarding the parenting books).

Besides for that, she's a very special person, great to get to know. I've asked her Chinuch questions, and she's very spot on. She's Rabbi Forscheimer's daughter.

lfab

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 11:04 am
Are you looking for jewish or non-jewish books? If you want non-jewish books there's a really good website that sells used books called betterworldbooks.com. They have books sold by them as well as 3rd party sellers. The books from them are usually $3.98 each and shipping is free. If you can wait they often have sales like 30% or 40% if you buy a certain number of books. I've been very happy with the quality of the books that I've gotten from them.

sourstix

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 2:37 pm
I was looking for any books geared to the beginer reader. can be any. I did get dr suess and bernestein bears. I dont liek to shop online. I like to go in the store to see for myself. thanks alot.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 3:42 pm
If I buy books online, I will buy from an author I recognize. For example, at a certain stage my DD loved the Eric Carle books, like the Hungry Caterpillar, the Grouchy Lady Bug, and of course Brown Bear, Brown Bear. So I'd go onto ebay and enter Eric Carle, and I got some awesome deals that way - a lot of books for the price you'd pay for one in the bookstore.....

When I wanted to buy Goodnight Moon, buying it on ebay got me a few books for the price of just that one.

I just DD school shoes from myhabit.com, and I was a few dollars short of $49 for free shipping, so I threw in some Amelia Bedilia books, which she loves, rather than pay shipping.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics