Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Anyone built a house?

chatouli

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:12 pm
If anyone has built a house in the NY/NJ area, will you PM me please? Or post anonymously? I have questions about the actual cost of building. Thank you.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:33 pm
Yes I built a house in Lakewood. U can pm me with any questions.... Bought my house from the builder and out in some extra money for upgrades... I'll be happy to tell you what I know!

chatouli

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:36 pm
You're anonymous but you can PM me if that's okay Smile thanks!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:40 pm
My ILs did it. While I can't tell you specifics, as I have no idea what it all cost, I do know that it took a lot longer and cost a lot more than initially projected. And that's the rule, not the exception.

chatouli

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 9:00 pm
To clarify, I'm looking for people who have either torn down an existing structure and started from scratch or built from scratch on an empty lot. Thanks to anyone who can help!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 9:38 pm
I've done it a few times. DH was the GC.

imalady

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 9:52 pm
OP - you should offer a few more specifics, prices really range depending on where you are.

For example Lakewood builders are relatively cheap, about $80-$100 a sf. Takes about 6 months assuming you have the money readily available for the builder and don't slow him down by not choosing supplies fast enough.

Passaic, much more. They don't have the same competition as in Lakewood so you can't compare.

I think Brooklyn is also way more in labor costs than in Lakewood

I have no idea as far as monsey.

More info will help you get clearer answers.

chatouli

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 10:58 pm
True. This would be in the Teaneck area. But I'd imagine someone who builds in Lakewood or Monsey could build here, or is that wishful thinking?

I was quoted approximately $250/square foot, but a friend told me she thinks that's way too high (hope so or we are not building!). I just don't know anybody who has built who is willing to discuss the nitty gritty financial details with me. And I don't blame them. It's very personal. Hence my hope that some nice amother will share Smile

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 12:01 am
I'm not sure of exactly how it works from place to place. However I do know that different cities or states have different codes and therefore it's preferable to use a builder that's familiar with your area. In Monsey, building averages to $120-$150 per square foot for a basic house, without too many upgrades. In Lakewood building is definitely much cheaper. Good luck.

imalady

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 1:11 am
I don't know how to PM but $250 is normal for high end custom home building for your area. I have no idea how to PM, if I did I could give you a specific name of someone who I know does it, but you may have better luck calling a Passaic or even a Lakewood builder who can come up there and do your house. There are a few who will do that for less than $250 but probably not as low as in their home region.

Only other piece of advice, do not use someone who is not experienced. Horror stories abound with that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics