Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Therapy Agencies that pay a salary!!! In NY
1  2  Next

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 9:08 am
Looking to make a switch from a per diem agency where I only get paid when I see my cases (so not on yom tov, days off, when kids are sick etc) to an agency that a.
will give an annualized salary.
b. will have at least 6 weeks of summer work guaranteed
Like Millenium.
The catch is, I do need some flexibility with what time I can start as being there at 8 am is not an option for me at this point Sad (young kids and husband leaves to work at 8 am on train).

Anyone know of anything other than Millenium? Most agencies like Omni or Yeled Vyalda only pay per case and I feel ragged from seeing so many kids and not making the money, although I do enjoy the flexibility very much.
I would prefer not to do EI or homecare, but would possibly be open to EI salary based job.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 3:18 pm
I work for Millenium as long as you work 25 hours you get paid vacation and you can try to negotiate even at 20 hours- if you can start at nine and still work those hours you can still get the package

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 4:15 pm
This is something that interests me too. Do these agencies pay enough to make it worthwhile? I am doing Seit for a while, and I hate the constant worry about cases. Amother, do you mind posting how much Millenium pays? Where are they located?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 4:17 pm
There is an agency called Starting Point in Flatbush. They pay a salary, and you have to work for thirty hours a week. This is all secondhand information though. Their phone number is 718 375 8885. I have no idea what the salary is, but I would love to know if you find out, op.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 4:18 pm
blush- do you work in a center based site or one of the D75 locations?
so at 20 plus hours you get paid for days the school is not in session, but no personal days correct?

how do you find millenium? I am seriously thinking of switching (ot)

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 5:20 pm
my mom was getting salaried from special ed associates.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 7:31 pm
I work in a special Ed school- at 25 hours you get health insurance which you pay into and paid time off ( according to the school calendar ) - they can be difficult to work with but offer a good package - come in with an idea of what you want annually because they'll try to lowball you

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 9:12 pm
amother wrote:
There is an agency called Starting Point in Flatbush. They pay a salary, and you have to work for thirty hours a week. This is all secondhand information though. Their phone number is 718 375 8885. I have no idea what the salary is, but I would love to know if you find out, op.

That sounds like it may be an option for me- do they need SI special ed therapists for EI?
I tried googling the agency, as many times it will list the therapy options they offer, but I did not find a website. Do you know the website?

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 8:41 am
Startong points website is Spsfc.net.

They do give a set salary and they employ SEITs and SLPs. They provide services only for preschool age 3-5 year olds in various preschools across NYC. They don't have one specific salary, its based on experience and what you negotiate, etc.but it is competitive (I.e. SLPs typically make more than they would in a public school setting.)
BUT - its not necessarily all roses. It's considered a 40 hr work week, although 5 are work from home paperwork hours. And there is A LOT of paperwork. 1/2 hr per day is allotted for lunch, and you must take it between 11-2 or something. You can't just skip it and come home 30 mins earlier each day.
Also, you don't have the option really of turning down a case due to location or you don't like the case, etc. You have to take what you get where you get it. And they make adjustments to the caseload frequently, so your schedule is forever changing. You could try to work only after 9 or whatever, good chance that could work, but you have to fit in all your cases in a day and work around each kids lunch, nap, and other therapists schedules.
Another thing. The case load is 90% non Jewish. You won't be working in nice frum schools ( don't know if that's an issue for you) and some of the neighborhoods aren't the greatest... The coworkers also are predominantly not jewish. ( The boss is a frum mam though. And one of the SLP supervisors is a young frum lady - a sweetheart!)
They will try to accommodate you regarding which boro you'd like to work in, and if you live in Brooklyn you can probably stick to Brooklyn, but you may be spread out in several neighborhoods. There is a lot of traveling, and while technically that is supposed to be part of the 40 hours/week, it doesn't always work perfect like that.
You have off for all the legal holidays and the main Jewish holidays. Not chol hamoed sukkos (chol hamoed pesach they do give), not Purim and Tisha bav and the like - but you can technically take those days off and lose pay. They don't appreciate when you take off erev yom tov. Sick days/personal days are only 1/2 day per month - so 6 a year. Not a lot if you have kids. If you take off more than that it just comes from your salary.
Summer used to be mandatory - 6 weeks on and then 3 weeks vacation. Now they don't have quite as many summer cases so it depends what deal you make with them when you take the job.
They offer good benefits, but only for you. Free medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and a retirement package. You'd have to figure out benfits for the rest of your family from elsewhere though.
Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 9:30 am
Thank you, sapphire amother! I have three questions. 1. I understand the salary varies, but can you give me an idea of the range for Seits? I have close to ten years of experience. 2. So you have no say at all in where they place you? Is it mostly in public schools? 3. How do they treat their staff? Are they always on top of you, checking up on you etc..

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 10:40 am
Do they hire ots as well?
Also I dont understand- what is the benefit of doing this over DOE?
They place u in doe schools?
And how often do u need to travel from site to site

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 4:39 pm
1. I'm sorry, I truly have no idea what they pay SEITs, just that I've heard then say they try to pay as good/better than a public school.
2. You don't have much of a say in where you are placed - you tell them where you live /want to work and they 'try' to accommodate you as best they can. They also attmept to give you schools near one another if they can, but most pple who work there commute a lot. You'll probably be in an average of three schools per day. You are mostly NOT in DOE schools, because all the cases are CPSE cases (3-5 yr olds). Once in a while you'll go to a UPK housed in a PS but it's mostly private preschools.
3. They try to be nice and friendly to the staff, it really depends on which supervisor you end up with. But yes, they are extremely on top of you. It's not like an agency like yeled vyalda where you totally are on your own. They are extremely on top of you, checking your paperwork, supervising you, making sure you stick to your schedule, etc.

Violet amother - no, they don't hire OTs.

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 5:49 pm
going to three schools a day? eh...

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 12:14 am
Anyone find out the salary for seits? What is the standard starting salary? I would like to know so I can see if they are trying to cut lower and if I should negotiate or not- that is if I even get an interview.
Any other ideas out there? Really looking to move on from current job...

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 12:16 am
octopus wrote:
going to three schools a day? eh...

That sounds better to me than going to 6 houses a day plus parking and traffic.... As well as cancellation of sessions, which means no pay for that time.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 1:51 am
to the SEIT-
why dont u look into doing special ed teaching in DOE

That will be ur most stable bet

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 2:35 am
Are these agencies actually hiring seits now?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 9:53 pm
bumping up this thread- really desperate to get out of my therapy agency job where I have no stability and no summer work. at this point, really want more of a salary based position. any leads? for millenium how much can I ask for an hour? is it an annualized salary?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 9:19 pm
bump?

Otrox

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 5:33 pm
I know of an agency that is willing to work out a salary for for OT, PT, speech and or sped. Pm me for more details of interested.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics