Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
"Goat cheese"

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 11:48 am
What is meant by "goat cheese" when I see it in American recipes? We have several different cheeses here made from goat's milk, including feta, so I'm confused when I see a recipe call for goat cheese and then list feta as an acceptable substitution.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 11:50 am
Feta can be made of goat cheese or sheep cheese.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 11:50 am
The goat cheese that I am familiar with looks like this https://upload.wikimedia.org/w.....6.jpg

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 12:53 pm
Gp- I know- we have 3 different styles of feta readily available in supermarkets. I just googled Tnuvah's goat/sheep cheeses. The styles of feta are sheep (20% fat), goat (16% fat) or goat (5% fat). They also have tzfatit goat cheese (it's an Israeli cheese, 5% fat, saltier than feta), and a spreadable 5%-fat goat cheese that I've never tried.

Anyone know which of those is most similar to American goat cheese? Mha, I can't tell from the picture- is it spreadable, or more crumbly like feta?

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 1:01 pm
I think its in between.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 1:14 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I think its in between.

Thanks!

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 2:10 pm
They mean the logs of chevre cheese that's something like a slightly crumbly cream cheese in texture.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 2:21 pm
DrMom wrote:
They mean the logs of chevre cheese that's something like a slightly crumbly cream cheese in texture.

Do you remember which brand sells those logs?

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 2:34 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
Do you remember which brand sells those logs?

No, I no longer live in the US and I forgot the brands. I googled "kosher chevre cheese" and got a lot of hits. Maybe you can find something that looks familiar?

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 2:36 pm
DrMom wrote:
No, I no longer live in the US and I forgot the brands. I googled "kosher chevre cheese" and got a lot of hits. Maybe you can find something that looks familiar?

I meant here in Israel- I thought of posting in the LII forum, but figured I'd get a response here faster.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 2:49 pm
I am not familiar with Israeli cheese but I am assuming you are trying to sub in non-Israeli recipes?

In my experience, at least for USA cheeses, feta is harder and is in chunks. It also is considerably saltier and more pungent than goat cheese.

Goat cheese is creamier so that it doesn't crumble and most of the goat cheese I have gotten is in log shape. It is also not as salty with a subtler flavor.

So if you are subbing for "goat cheese", go for a cheese that is somewhat creamier and not salty/sharp. Depending on the recipe, it might not make much of a difference.

Off the top of my head, many of the recipes using "feta" cheese seem to have it sprinkled and not fully incorporated. The recipes where I've used goat cheese seem to incorporate it - I am thinking of a few lasagna type recipes in which the goat cheese is used as almost a béchamel sauce type of element.

ETA - This is probably going to be completely non helpful but "goat" cheese has the consistency of Boursin Cheese in my experience. Soft with a very small curd.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 3:14 pm
Amarante wrote:
I am not familiar with Israeli cheese but I am assuming you are trying to sub in non-Israeli recipes?

In my experience, at least for USA cheeses, feta is harder and is in chunks. It also is considerably saltier and more pungent than goat cheese.

Goat cheese is creamier so that it doesn't crumble and most of the goat cheese I have gotten is in log shape. It is also not as salty with a subtler flavor.

So if you are subbing for "goat cheese", go for a cheese that is somewhat creamier and not salty/sharp. Depending on the recipe, it might not make much of a difference.

Off the top of my head, many of the recipes using "feta" cheese seem to have it sprinkled and not fully incorporated. The recipes where I've used goat cheese seem to incorporate it - I am thinking of a few lasagna type recipes in which the goat cheese is used as almost a béchamel sauce type of element.

ETA - This is probably going to be completely non helpful but "goat" cheese has the consistency of Boursin Cheese in my experience. Soft with a very small curd.

Thank you! I just reread the recipe I was looking at earlier, and she also lists mozzarella as a possible substitution. In this case it's on top of pizza, though I know I saw it in a different recipe some time in the last week or two without substitutions listed.

Nope, no clue what Boursin is like. I think I need to investigate the cheese counter at my local supermarket- I usually stick to the main dairy aisle.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 3:21 pm
On top of pizza, I don't think it would make any difference :-)

There are pizzas that use ricotta cheese which has more of the consistency of goat cheese.

Feta would be good on pizza but would have a much more assertive flavor than the goat cheese that I am familiar with. Would depend on other ingredients as to whether it would over shadow.

Mozzarella would produce standard pretty bland pizza which everyone is familiar with.

Goat cheese is used in the "gourmet" type of pizza shops in my experience. It would not have that gooey end product of mozzarella but wouldn't be as "sharp" as Feta. Unless I wanted to deliberately make a Greek type of pizza, I probably wouldn't use feta - or at least the very pungent feta I am used to.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 3:37 pm
Amarante wrote:
On top of pizza, I don't think it would make any difference :-)

There are pizzas that use ricotta cheese which has more of the consistency of goat cheese.

Feta would be good on pizza but would have a much more assertive flavor than the goat cheese that I am familiar with. Would depend on other ingredients as to whether it would over shadow.

Mozzarella would produce standard pretty bland pizza which everyone is familiar with.

Goat cheese is used in the "gourmet" type of pizza shops in my experience. It would not have that gooey end product of mozzarella but wouldn't be as "sharp" as Feta. Unless I wanted to deliberately make a Greek type of pizza, I probably wouldn't use feta - or at least the very pungent feta I am used to.

Here's the link to the recipe: http://cookieandkate.com/2015/.....esto/

I think arugula is strong enough not to be overshadowed by feta, but the butternut probably isn't. In any case, I don't think it'll taste too much like standard pizza without tomato sauce.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 4:18 pm
Recipe looks great and honestly I think any cheese you like would work well. If you think the feta has a very strong presence, use a bit less but I don't think it matters as long as you like tje taste of the cheese you are using.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 5:08 pm
I think when they say mozzarella there they mean fresh mozzarella
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen